Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Can't import .MOV files SOLVED
JShep [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 05, 2017 19:42 Messages: 18 Offline
[Post New]
I have Powerdirector 15. I am unable to import .MOV files recorded by my Zoom Q8. They are 29.97, 1920x1080 16:9. I get the message loaded here. I have read the manual bit therre's no mention of this beingat issue or how to address it. Any help much appreciated. Thanks!
[Thumb - Cyberlink MOV Issue.png]
 Filename
Cyberlink MOV Issue.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
270 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
11 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 14. 2018 11:50

Longedge [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 28, 2011 15:38 Messages: 1504 Offline
[Post New]
Try installing the K Lite codec pack.

Just bye the bye, is your F: drive external and removeable. If so I'd strongly recommend downloading the video to your hard drive before starting to work weith it in PDR.
JShep [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Try installing the K Lite codec pack.

Just bye the bye, is your F: drive external and removeable. If so I'd strongly recommend downloading the video to your hard drive before starting to work weith it in PDR.

Hi - thanks much for your reply. I currently have the 'standard' K lIte codec installed.

My F: drive is loaded in my pc, not externally on a usb - does the file not being on my C drive make a difference? I really don't like keeping big files like these (3+GB) on my C drive, as I am down to 60GB of free space. Please advise - thanks again.

Update - I upgraded to Mega version of K Lite and also copied the file to my C drive. I still get the same error message at import.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 11. 2018 07:27

Hatti
Contributor Location: Bonn, Germany Joined: Feb 21, 2017 15:54 Messages: 576 Offline
[Post New]
No, you don't need to copy the files to the C: drive. Several problems appear, if the files come from external drives, especially storage cards, so it is important to work from an internal HDD. You said, F: is internal, so its very good and not part of the problem.
The codec pack is good, but maybe not good enough. MOV is a video container format, that was used by quicktime, which comes from Apple. So it is the best to install quicktime itself, or quicktime light. MOV is a container format, that means the video part is coded in differnet codec formats. The most popular in consumer context is H.264, which is also used in the MP4 format. Professional cameras shoot in RAW format, e.g. ProRes RAW, which is, as far as I know,also containered as MOV. There are more formats on the market. MediaInfo (free) gives you information about the codecs of the media file.
Consider to convert your files to a more supported format. There are many good converters available. They should be free, don't pay for it, except you get more value. You can find many converters for dollars, that bring exactly no more value. Proposed in this forum is "Handbrake" (free).
Have a look at magicYUV, a codec, that converts your video lossless. In PD16, it is incredibly fast. Disadvantage: as it stores every frame as full picture, the rsulting file is incredibly big. No problem to get a 100GB file after converting.

Hatti Win 10 64, i7-4790k, 32GB Ram, 256 GB SSD, SATA 2TB, SATA 4TB, NVidia GTX1080 8GB, LG 34" 4K Wide, AOC 24" 1080
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi JShep -

Just having a stab at what the issue might be, here...

What recording options were selected? What files do you have on your PC? The answers to these questions may help get closer to resolving your issue.

The reason I ask is that, on the Zoom Q8, you can record in different modes - MOV or MOV+WAV (which generates separate audio files for each mic used). Also, you can choose STEREO AUDIO (which mixes the audio) or MULTI AUDIO (which generates separate audio files). Audio quality options range from 16/24-bit WAV to 64kbps AAC.

I don't have a Zoom Q8. I read that in the manual.

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 11. 2018 16:02

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
JShep [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hi JShep -

Just having a stab at what the issue might be, here...

What recording options were selected? What files do you have on your PC? The answers to these questions may help get closer to resolving your issue.

The reason I ask is that, on the Zoom Q8, you can record in different modes - MOV or MOV+WAV (which generates separate audio files for each mic used). Also, you can choose STEREO AUDIO (which mixes the audio) or MULTI AUDIO (which generates separate audio files). Audio quality options range from 16/24-bit WAV to 64kbps AAC.

I don't have a Zoom Q8. I read that in the manual.

Cheers - Tony

I picked up the Divx program and did conversion in it. Now able to load my Zoom Q 8 videos. Thanks to you all for chiming in to help!