Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Finally able to get this system set up, running and stress tested.
For more info and review see this link- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apYfwFSvM_w
Fast forward to approx.. 8:30 for usage and NLE video editing specifically showing Power Director. (Note the Brix Pro in this link has an i7 4570R CPU, mine is the faster i7 4470R CPU.)

First impression: Wow this thing is tiny! It literally fits in the palm of my hands- and I don’t have large shovel like hands either.

In addition to the Gigabyte Brix PRO mini desktop, the following is also required for the build:

1.) Operating System - I chose Win 8 Pro x64 (I then upgraded to 8.1 x64 after)
2.) Hard Drive- I splurged for a 500 GB SSD on sale (then swapped it for my other 1 TB SSD that was already installed in my laptop)
3.) RAM – I got two sticks of 8 GB DDR3L (1.35v low voltage is required not standard 1.5v) on sale = Total 16 GB
4.) External DVD drive, which I already owned, to install the Gigabyte drivers that came on a CD.

After installing and tweaking I threw everything I had at it.
See next posts for various Power Director times and final impression of this little beastie.

Rob
Thanks.

I have done everything including a full system re-install (in the middle of system building.) Long story short - my original Ultimate Suite install files were from the very early days when PD 12 was first released (12 files). Since then they have fine tuned the install files (now down to 4 files still same approx. 5.8GB total size.)

I even went at it with CL's own "CLCleaner Power Director" install fix utility to see - no luck so far.

I do have a version of the wave editor inside one of my original PD 11 ultimate suite rars. But I am not sure if it is the same version in PD 12. I will ask Tech support just to send me the current Wave Editor install files.

Rob
Bruno, Tony, Carl

Here is a link to the official Power Director 12 Tutorial pdf from Cyberlink:
http://www.cyberlink.com/stat/events/enu/2013/Q3/pdr12-book/index.jsp

It's approx. 199MB once downloaded- does not cover everything, but a good reference showing the basics.

Rob
Excellent!

I have never installed the 3D Vision thing so it didn't even occur to me that this could have been the culprit.

Quote: I also know that some Win8.1 users are seeing some significant delays when using certain editor functions. If you have any of the excellent Pixelan plugins, you'll probably find that it takes 13-17 seconds for the effect...

Hmm.. never experienced this issue with my Pixelan plugins, even on my slower laptop. Win 8.1 x64 Pro has been very solid for me with anything I have thrown at it. (I have tweaked things a bit though- and using an SSD is one of the best hands down cost / performance upgrades I ever did. Worth the high cost I paid for my SSDs.)

Quote: ... putting an end to the random unlinking of audio/video clips would be the best thing that could happen.

It appears that the unlinking problem, which includes broken clips that are still displayed as intact but can't be edited using any of the menu bar tools, is related to 50fps or 60 fps project settings. If you can live with 24, 25 or 30fps you should be immune from this incredibly frustrating glitch.

Yep - a right pain since the majority of filming / editing I do is 60p.

Rob
Anyone else get this error message saying they do not have the required program installed ?
See attached pic.

Ever since CL Tech support sent me new files to install because I was missing some menus in PD 12 Ultimate Suite I am no longer able to install the Beta patches. I contacted Tech support and their response was something along the lines of not to install beta patches and wait for the official final patch release.

Urgh?

Btw- I am able to d/l the beta patches just fine.. I just can't install and test them !

Rob
To add to Gary's post-
an easy way of doing this is to use PD's own Color Boards. Drag the Black color board 0.0.0 to the timeline and set the Duration to how long you want the black space shown before and after your video clips:

Rob
Nina,

Jeff and I are suggesting the same thing - just different ways of getting the result.

Basically: disable / uninstall your Nvidia driver. (Go to Control Panel and go to Device Manager, click on Display Adapter uninstall / disable the Nvidia adapter if given the option.) If you are not given the option then go to Programs and Features from the Control Panel and uninstall the Nvidia driver. Your laptop might automatically re-install the default driver though- which will be an older version of the Nvidia driver.

Which is the reason I asked to see if you can disable the adapter first to prevent this from happening.

My older ASUS laptop will auto install the older version of the Nvidia driver. But I can disable it by doing the above and manually prevent it from installing by brute force- which we won't get into since that leads to other issues. However it looks like your newer laptop might not allow you to do so since Asus changed the way their graphics display adapter works. I do not have access to the newer machines to test a workaround.

Rob
Okay- I was just able to reproduce the error completely by chance twice in a row. I was working on something and did the following:

1.) Dragged a clip on to the timeline, split it in 2 parts and then sped up the first split 1.5 X
Then I noticed the 2 split clips had the missing menu options issue as well as a totally unrelated clip in front of these two clips!
Tried undoing the 1.5 X speed but no luck. (Wasn't able to try re-combining the clips into one for some reason- so not able to test if that would reverse the issue.)

2.) Split a totally different clip 3 ways and then manually lowered the audio to fade out some sound at the beginning and a bit into the middle parts. Again the same issue popped up- missing menu options.

Rob

Hi,

You first need to drag a video clip to the timeline. Split that clip and *then* drag your transitions onto the clip or in between the clips.
See the following tutorial for more information- this was done in PD 11 but same procedures apply:

Rob
Quote: Our latest toot is a response to one of our subscribers who was having trouble with formatting and applying long scrolling text. The question comes up often, because PD's Title Designer window is a bit shackled when it comes to this particular issue.

Noooo .. don't do it! You have been warned.

At around 5:00 into the video that was pure gold ! I actually burst out laughing.
To be fair PD 12 is much stabler with the latest patch.. but still if you try the above then all bets are off.

Rob
My laptop just isn’t cutting it anymore because Power Director 12 requires much more system power and also my other rendering software that I use at the same time maxes out my poor little dual core i7.

The thing that intrigues me about the Intel Haswell-E refresh is not only more cores but the new faster memory DDR4 that debuts at the same time. AMD’s APUs are testing really well right now compared to the Intel ones- but the biggest let down for me is their lack of raw CPU processing power in the consumer market. I need to build a much faster system than what I have.

As an interim system I just ordered the little Gigabyte Brix Pro with the i7 4770-R CPU. The “R” designation means it comes with Intel’s fastest onboard GPU: Intel Iris Pro 5200. This will be my low end dedicated video editing / graphics / 3D rendering mini workstation. More info in this link: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4888#ov

I’ll update this thread once I get it set up and have thrown PD and everything else I have at it.

Very interesting about that 2D to 3D change. So does doing this and keeping it on 3D auto detect actually allow you to edit again?

Dumb question not sure if this has been answered before- what are you using to create your png picture files?
--------------------------------------------------

Also too bad they disabled the Optimus graphics switching in these newer models. I did not know that. That is unfortunate.

Do a quick check- move your mouse all the way to the lower left of your screen until you see the white windows flag pop up, then right click.
Select Device Manager then Display Adapters.
Right click on the Nvidia display adapter- does it give you the option to "Disable" ?

R
Neil, watch Tony's really good video highlighting the issue that he attached to his first post- it concerns the menu options disappearing directly above the timeline. (Not the old random issue of blankness around the PD window that can be brought back by simply minimizing and maximizing the entire PD window.)

Tony,

Yes a bloody confused mess (btw- fix your second link, you linked to the same thread twice in your last post
The issue for me pops up exactly as you show in your video. Also clicking on the audio portion brings back the menu options after unlinking the audio/video too, as I am sure you are aware by now.

That thread is confusing because it points to a fix / workaround of setting the default transition to 2.0 in preferences. Yet this makes no sense to me since my personal default is 0.7 (42 frames) and PD should work without us having to mess around keeping a default setting that causes more wasted time! Using different transition timing also causes the issue as noted in that thread. However the big thing is, and I agree with you:

You don't even have to use any transition between your clips for this issue to pop up ! So I consider that fix / workaround a complete bust. I notice it happens the majority of times as soon as I split a clip. Adding an effect, changing the clip somehow- not sure what if anything triggers this anomaly.

I have used the latest beta patch like you, with the exact same result. Now back to using the official v2420 patch. I just opened an older .pds that had this issue and it still affects it. I am currently working on some newer projects so will test some more and see if the v2420 patch does any good.

Having to unlink to get back the menu options above the timeline is a pain to put it mildly.

Rob
Ahem ... this has been the bane for quite a few of us- surprised you two have now just encountered this issue:

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/29997.page

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/30501.page

However- nice screen capture- send her off Tech support and give them heck !

The v2420 update should have fixed this- but I still find that is not the case. Some workaround pointed to in one of those links is to set transitions to really slooooow default timing- which just does not cut it for me.

Rob
That pink line was crazy!

I'd hate to think this was a simple fix like resetting your screen DPI to the default 96 DPI (100 percent) from the 125 DPI you are currently using to make things bigger.

I would try and disable the Nvidia card as I suggested earlier and then use the built in Intel HD4600 GPU to test your images with PD to see if the Nvidia card is the cause. Let your neighbour show you how.

Also afterwards if the problem still exists ask your neighbour to help with the BIOS update as well. It's very simple to do- download both the Win Bios Flash utility and v209 Bios and use the utility on the file in the link I provided up top. Your neighbour will be familiar with how to do both.

They will also physically be able to look at your laptop and might even see something we are missing right now.
I don't see anything else in your Dxdiag that raised anymore red flags for me.

Rob
Nina,

Couple quick things- I am still going through the Dxdiag:

1.) Update your Graphics driver to the current latest WHLQ 332.21: http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/71706

2.) I assume you have already installed the latest PD 12 v2420 update patch?

Now re-try your images and see.

[Edit to add the following:]

3.) You are still using Win 8 as opposed to upgrading to 8.1 (It's a free upgrade.)

I also noticed your BIOS is v207 which is an older one. The current one is v209 which has the following fix: "Fix WHQL issue for win 8.1" This points to a fix for Win 8.1. I am just wondering if this issue was in Win 8 also? Can't hurt to update your BIOS and see.

4.) You should be able to use the ASUS Live Update Utility to automatically download and upgrade the other drivers. Some of them are also out of date. (But should not be causing your issues- so it's optional to update them.)

5.) What settings (screenshot if you can) is your Power4Gear Hybrid Utility set to? Just curious.

See this link for a listing of drivers for your laptop: http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=G750JX&p=3&s=521

Ah- fond memories of my old first generation ASUS ROG series G50. Your G750 is night and day more powerful.

Rob
Well to chime in- I have an onboard cpu / gpu as well as a literal physical EXTERNAL graphics card and I have also never seen this extra horse power that is advertised. (See my sig for my specs.)

Gary- I would hold onto that HD7870 if I were you. It offers much more hardware rendering options in terms of faster video hardware encoding- See this thread here for a break down: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/29236.page

As for your Intel chip- you have the current latest "K" series 4770 which is unlocked. Which means it can be tweaked and over clocked. With some mild overclocking it can get even faster and still be stable with not much extra heat generation.

I started another thread here to discuss CPU cores so as not to pull this one off topic: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/0/32454.page#176212

Rob
Just curious as to anyone's input on how their Multi Core CPU performs with PD. Whether you use an AMD or Intel CPU.

There was a thread about PD and Multi-GPU that got me thinking see here: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/31046.page

I am familiar with Intel's line of CPU but not with AMD. There is an Intel Haswell-E refresh coming in a few weeks with faster / more cores and I know PD uses these multi core CPUs- but does it really matter which CPU manufacturer you use for PD ?

thanks.

Rob
Nina,

Hadn't realized it was a laptop-

My other laptop has an Nvidia card in it as well as the Intel CPU. I also uninstalled the ASUS Splendid and a whole bunch of other unnecessary software that came with the laptop. So it could be a combination of software / hardware.

The Device manager disabling route is then the safest way- doesn't harm anything and is reversible.
Yes if you can get your neighbour to help you out that would be great.

Can you post up a DXdiag again to remind us of your hardware specs. ?- I'd like to have a look specifically at the other software from ASUS that is installed.

thanks.

Rob
Also- have you tried disabling your Nvidia card and using just the Intel i7 built in GPU ?
(Intel HD4600 if you have the newer i7 Haswell or else Intel HD4000 for the previous i7 3rd gen. CPU.)

Go to Device manager and disable the Nvidia card or else turn off your computer and physically unplug the card.

Then retry your Produce files to see if it is the Nvidia card that is the issue.

Rob
I am also not too enthusiastic about these sliders either.

I think the only reason why most people aren't mentioning this is because we push the software more than others. (We are more demanding- not to disparage or put down others, we each use the software for our own needs.)

Or else we are just a bunch of picky bastids! Whichever moniker you prefer.

Rob
Go to: