Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
The yellow line.....now solved
1Nina
Senior Contributor Location: Norway, 50km southwest of Oslo Joined: Oct 08, 2008 04:12 Messages: 1070 Offline
[Post New]
I have spent most of the afternoon and evening updating, then, to Win 8.1 + downloaded and
reinstalled graphic driver. I thought I had the lates driver....

The one I had said:

Driver Name: nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um
Driver File Version: 9.18.0013.3221 (English)
Driver Version: (empty here)
Driver Model: WDDM 1.2

The one I now installed:

Driver Name: nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um
Driver File Version: 9.18.0013.3221 (English)
Driver Version: 9.18.13.3221
Driver Model: WDDM 1.3

Power4Gear Hybrid Utility is set to almost max.

I havn’t had the time to go through my other programs to see if anything else is being
affected by these updates. Updating Bios is not what I consider at this time.
(Googling a bit didn’t give a good impression of the results of that.)
Asus Live Update tells me “this pc is up to date”......whatever....
I quickly recorded a video showing in “realtime” how this happening within PD.
I do think it’s a bit strange few others have experienced the same or similar things.

Just something.
https://www.petitpoisvideo.com
RobAC [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Mar 09, 2013 18:20 Messages: 406 Offline
[Post New]
That pink line was crazy!

I'd hate to think this was a simple fix like resetting your screen DPI to the default 96 DPI (100 percent) from the 125 DPI you are currently using to make things bigger.

I would try and disable the Nvidia card as I suggested earlier and then use the built in Intel HD4600 GPU to test your images with PD to see if the Nvidia card is the cause. Let your neighbour show you how.

Also afterwards if the problem still exists ask your neighbour to help with the BIOS update as well. It's very simple to do- download both the Win Bios Flash utility and v209 Bios and use the utility on the file in the link I provided up top. Your neighbour will be familiar with how to do both.

They will also physically be able to look at your laptop and might even see something we are missing right now.
I don't see anything else in your Dxdiag that raised anymore red flags for me.

Rob PD 14 Ultimate Suite / Win10 Pro x64
1. Gigabyte Brix PRO / i7-4770R Intel Iris Pro 5200 / 16 GB / 1 TB SSD
2. Lenovo X230T / 8GB / Intel HD4000 + ViDock 4 Plus & ASUS Nvidia 660 Ti / Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIZw3GPwKMo&feature=youtu.be
1Nina
Senior Contributor Location: Norway, 50km southwest of Oslo Joined: Oct 08, 2008 04:12 Messages: 1070 Offline
[Post New]
I have now had time to go through most of the programs I have installed on this laptop, after updates,
and they all seem to work as they should - also Color Director.
I am left with this problem in PDr, and I can’t think of anything more to do. (Within reasonable limits)

If anyone have the time, here is more info on this laptop - in English.

http://www.mobiletechreview.com/notebooks/Asus-ROG-G750JX.htm

I am not educated enough in tech-stuff to understand what difference or impact things will
have- if this or that, so or so. Clearly, there must be something in the relation PDr/this laptop
with it’s graphic card that’s not corresponding.

Just something.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
As I had asked earlier, I'm not sure if you have the 2D or 3D display. If the 3D, I'd probably try a external 2D monitor and disable the laptop display to see if any change. Curious to hear results.

You can not use the Intel GPU only as was suggested in a post earlier, that is not possible on this model to my knowledge. My understanding is the Nvidia GPU must always be functional.

Jeff
1Nina
[Post New]
Jeff,

sorry I didn't answer that earlier; 2D display.
I tried the old external monitor, Eizo S2401W; duplicate: no difference.
Disable laptop monitor: no difference.
I have tried all 3D settings available in Nvidia control panel: no difference.
You can see what happens inside PDr when changing from 2D preview to "autodetect 3D".
(Better view if watched on YT)

Just something.
RobAC [Avatar]
[Post New]
Very interesting about that 2D to 3D change. So does doing this and keeping it on 3D auto detect actually allow you to edit again?

Dumb question not sure if this has been answered before- what are you using to create your png picture files?
--------------------------------------------------

Also too bad they disabled the Optimus graphics switching in these newer models. I did not know that. That is unfortunate.

Do a quick check- move your mouse all the way to the lower left of your screen until you see the white windows flag pop up, then right click.
Select Device Manager then Display Adapters.
Right click on the Nvidia display adapter- does it give you the option to "Disable" ?

R
PD 14 Ultimate Suite / Win10 Pro x64
2. Lenovo X230T / 8GB / Intel HD4000 + ViDock 4 Plus & ASUS Nvidia 660 Ti / Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIZw3GPwKMo&feature=youtu.be
1Nina
[Post New]
Rob,

this is VIDEOoverlay, not png/image.
I use video overlays all the time in productions.
Mostly, it's mp4's out of Sanyo camera.
But I don't think format - or stuff related in that direction - has anything to do with it.
Can't find what you asked me to find; adapters..... (mostly written in Norwegian here : but I have gone through things)

By now, I wonder if this problem only is related to my rig - and they havn't had others "complaining" about it,
CL may not bother with it.....

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 15. 2014 16:00

Just something.
1Nina
[Post New]

As maybe a closing to this problem, which seems to be unsolved- unless CL deals with the matter,
I made a short video display of 2 other video programs on this rig, and how they display and
treat the overlayed video clips. Just confirming.

Same rig (as it now is after updates to Win8.1 and correct, new graphic driver,
same mp4 clips straight from the same camera.
Because the little video is displaying 2 other programs, I prefer to just give you the link to it
so that I don’t risk the post being removed.

http://youtu.be/tSv0NtLzxWM

Thanks all, for chiming in.

Nina

Just something.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Was trying to locate a similar laptop out of some inventory, did yours come with Win7 or 8 and then you updated to 8.1?
Have you always had this issue? Appears you were happy here so maybe didn't have the issue initially? http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/31319.page
Quote: This is what I purchased this autumn, basically for CL/PD -
but I have developed a fondness for this laptop.....

I'm still thinking it has to be display related, WDDM, DirectX, Nvidia and it appears to affect PD only from your trials. During all your trials, have you ever simply uninstalled the 770M, used the default windows VGA driver and after resetting display resolution evaluate yellow line in PD issue? Basically ideas along my previous comments of a "clean" install of your Nvidia drivers.

Jeff
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Nina -

This (as you're painfully aware) is a very perplexing issue.

In the other thread where you first raised the "yellow line" problem, it was happening with frames (.png) - so - as you've said, it's not related to particular media.

On my little ASUS laptop - which you'll see from the attached DxDiag that I didn't buy as an editing rig - I've tried everything to replicate your issue and failed:
1. used your original frames
2. used 720p & 1080p clips from a Sanyo Xacti
3. freeform, motion, scale keyframes applied
4. freeforming & resizing in preview window
5. up to 4 clips/frames overlaid (9 tracks in total)
6. switched between GPU, Integrated graphics & Auto Select

Have you tried Jeff's suggestion above? Completely uninstalling the driver for the GTX 770M? then testing again before re-installing the current NVIDIA driver? It seems like you've tried everything else!!!

Sorry - not much help.

Cheers - Tony
 Filename
YnotLaptop_DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
80 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
540 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 17. 2014 02:36

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
1Nina
[Post New]
Hi Tony,

Just to be sure, I have tried png’s again, and it is OK.
What happened back in the thread you mentioned was probably:
The FRAME was a png, but BEHIND it was several videoclips. I had to struggle an awful lot
to have those clips display behind the frame, and they weren’t equally sized- just to conceal
the yellow line. At the time, I thought it was the png - but obviously it was the clips.
You may see in the image posted, the png is a bit jagged when freeforming, but no yellow line.
Havn’t produced it, so I don’t know how it will come out.

Anyway, I feel I have tested enough by now to land on a mismatch graphic card/PDr.

I have had a new install of a “fresh” driver.

Jeff wrote earlier:

You can not use the Intel GPU only as was suggested in a post earlier, that is not possible on this model to my knowledge. My understanding is the Nvidia GPU must always be functional.

This must be right, I think. I have searched the laptop through, I have searched the net; no built in card. One forum suggested unplugging- and just have the battry; no go.

Thanks, Tony, for trying again.

[Thumb - Skjermbilde.PNG]
 Filename
Skjermbilde.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
434 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
908 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 17. 2014 04:33

Just something.
RobAC [Avatar]
[Post New]
Nina,

Jeff and I are suggesting the same thing - just different ways of getting the result.

Basically: disable / uninstall your Nvidia driver. (Go to Control Panel and go to Device Manager, click on Display Adapter uninstall / disable the Nvidia adapter if given the option.) If you are not given the option then go to Programs and Features from the Control Panel and uninstall the Nvidia driver. Your laptop might automatically re-install the default driver though- which will be an older version of the Nvidia driver.

Which is the reason I asked to see if you can disable the adapter first to prevent this from happening.

My older ASUS laptop will auto install the older version of the Nvidia driver. But I can disable it by doing the above and manually prevent it from installing by brute force- which we won't get into since that leads to other issues. However it looks like your newer laptop might not allow you to do so since Asus changed the way their graphics display adapter works. I do not have access to the newer machines to test a workaround.

Rob
PD 14 Ultimate Suite / Win10 Pro x64
1Nina
[Post New]
Rob,

I appreciate you replying yet again.
I have been all over the net reading and searching (and remember I have to do it all in English!)
but I can not find any evidence of this laptop having a second onboard graphic card.
Device manager shows me only 1 card, GPU-Z (see attached) shows me only 1 card.
I do get the option to disable- or uninstall ( from Device manager), but when I have NO information at hand
that shows me another card will kick in, I simply don't dare to do it.
This is a brand new laptop, quite expensive, other programs function as they are supposed to......

Again, as long as this is affecting just my rig, I don't think CL- or anyone from their corner possibly reading this thread
will bother to look in to it. Maybe if others down the line get a similar problem something will happen.
For now, I think I just have to leave it as is; PDr being able to to edit only very basic stuff.

[Thumb - GPU-Z.PNG]
 Filename
GPU-Z.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
56 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
245 time(s)

Just something.
GGRussell [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Jan 08, 2012 11:38 Messages: 709 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: but I can not find any evidence of this laptop having a second onboard graphic card.
Device manager shows me only 1 card, GPU-Z (see attached) shows me only 1 card.
You won't see it, but there is a GPU inside the Intel 4700HQ CPU. To use this GPU, the nVidia GPU must be disabled. I can do this with my desktop in the BIOS.

Check your laptop's BIOS. There should be an option for graphics: Onboard or PCIe. Or something like that. Onboard will be the Intel HD4600 graphics chip in the CPU. As posted earlier, ASUS may have disabled this option. Intel i7 4770k, 16GB, GTX1060 3GB, Two 240GB SSD, 4TB HD, Sony HDR-TD20V 3D camcorder, Sony SLT-A65VK for still images, Windows 10 Pro, 64bit
Gary Russell -- TN USA
1Nina
[Post New]
The most accurate answer to the possible integrated graphics I have been able to find
is on http://rog.asus.com/forum, a thread where the question was exactly the same
( Switching to Integrated Intel HD Graphics - G750JX and G750JH ) and the answer was:

"No, there is no way to enable the integrated GPU. "

From http://www.notebookcheck.net/Preview-Asus-G750JX-Notebook.
I am reading:
"Our G750 pre-sample from Asus features a brand-new i7-4700HQ Haswell CPU. In this case, HQ does not hint at the integrated graphics solution (which is just the HD Graphics 4600, not the Iris Pro Graphics 5200), but on the support for vPro and the BGA package. However, the IGP is not active in our Asus G750 anyway, as it only uses the dedicated Nvidia GeForce GTX 770M."

I consider this now ruled out, and just accept the mismatch between NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770M / PDr -
at least on my Asus G750JX.
At some point in time it will probably have to be corrected, either by CL or Nvidia - perhaps both....

Thanks all!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 17. 2014 17:11

Just something.
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Nina,

For reference, I never once asked you to switch to Integral GPU, you simply can not, and I mentioned that many posts ago. I was only asking that you use windows VGA drivers with your 770M instead of Nvidia drivers. You do not need a second GPU to do this and it does not involve the Integral GPU at all.

If you are not comfortable doing that, then don't do it. Maybe a small local shop can assist. In lieu of that, since you are comfortable with installing Nvidia drivers, maybe at least do a clean install of the Nvidia drivers since you have had different versions on the laptop. Again, has the yellow line always existed? A clean install will momentary revert to the Windows VGA driver as it removes all Nvidia drivers. You just won't know how the PD yellow line behaves with the Windows VGA driver. Also so you know, a clean install also purges all previous Nvidia drivers so you can't "roll back", to be honest, that's a bad idea with graphic drivers anyhow.

You will also see that ASUS recommends the same for your laptop. http://www.asus.com/us/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/ASUS_ROG_G750JX/#support Driver Tools > OS > VGA
"Please remove old version of NVIDIA VGA driver and install NVIDIA VGA driver V9.18.13.XXXX or above version under Windows 7 environment before upgrade to Windows 8. "

Nvidia describes there "clean" install here, yes not win 8 but the approach is the same. http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2900/~/guide-on-how-to-install-the-nvidia-display-driver-under-windows-7%2Fwindows-vista

From item 2) in the Custom Advanced section "If you have experienced install problems in the past, we offer "Perform clean install" which will remove all previous NVIDIA drivers and NVIDIA registry entries from your computer. This may resolve installer issues caused by conflicting older drivers. One you have selected which graphic components you wish to install, click "NEXT" to continue."

Jeff
1Nina
[Post New]
Hi Jeff,

Yes, I know- you didn’t suggest to switch to Integral GPU, and you did say you didn’t think it would be possible on this laptop -
and I quoted you on that in a post earlier in this thread.
Yes, the yellow line always exited, and yes, I did do a clean install of the Nvidia driver ( or at least I think I did, at least it was “new and fresh”) a couple of days ago. I checked and double-checked in fact several times to be sure to get the right version. Installed without any problem - or note popping up.

I was only asking that you use windows VGA drivers with your 770M instead of Nvidia drivers. You do not need a second GPU to do this and it does not involve the Integral GPU at all.
If you are not comfortable doing that, then don't do it.

No, Jeff, I don’t think I will go down that path.
I understand what you mean. But since other programs function as they should, the monitor gives me an absolute crystal clear view, I will not risk at this point messing it all up, mirror the OS etc.etc. all for PD. Other friends here on the forum will know I bought this laptop mainly for having CL products on it. Earlier experiences with my desktop (which have a much lesser graphic card: Nv GTX 470) and CL products ended with having to format and reinstall OS +++all the other stuff, and I swore I would never let that happen again. I purchased this Asus thinking it is strong enough and I can mess a bit with it not risking to have no computer working. I am dependent on one working well- as I am still a working girl. School today is mostly digital.

And well, I have been kind of messing with this rig during the past week.
From Win 8 to Win8.1 / new install of the Nvidia driver/ uninstall and reinstall of PD / uninstalling again and trying another, fresh edition of PD / going through all kinds of settings in Nvidia control panel + PD preferences / reading a serious amount of net pages / doing GPU-Z and CPU-Z to maybe find some hidden clue / making the short illustrating videos for you so you see what happens.

In an earlier post (in this thread) I quoted something from what I read somewhere
(link is there in the post)

.....and Cyberlink PowerDirector and Arcsoft MediaConverter will also add support for NVENC later.

This is getting too tech for me; the NVENC. I can read and partly understand what it says, but I have no knowledge of what sort of impact, or difference this makes to a system. CLs MediaEspresso supports this now I believe, but do PD?
And is it making any kind of impact if it is supported- or not?

(https://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-video-codec-sdk#gpulist)

I found a post in PD11 :
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/25906.page;jsessionid=8B0921FF5FF4DF12D41A4DFDD55231D3

It's posted back in 2012, so I will assume it's old news and not an issue for PD12...?
But kind of curious noticing the poster did not get a single answer.

PD12 is working on my laptop.
It is, mind you, a bit slow - it seems to struggle going in/out of different windows in the program AND it doesn't handle video overlays well at all. But - it hasn't crashed, so far.
I will probably try to load more in to it this week to see what happens.

Just something.
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Nina,
Quote: Device manager shows me only 1 card, GPU-Z (see attached) shows me only 1 card.
I do get the option to disable- or uninstall ( from Device manager), but when I have NO information at hand
that shows me another card will kick in, I simply don't dare to do it.

From the above is sounded like you were thinking "another card will kick in", my point was that's not how it works. You do not need another card to kick in. You do not need another card period, you are only changing the drivers of the existing card. But it appears you understand now but don't want to risk it, understandable, that's always a personal choice.

Quote: I did do a clean install of the Nvidia driver ( or at least I think I did, at least it was “new and fresh”) a couple of days ago.

Since you appear unsure if you did a clean install of your most recent Nvidia driver, you can tell by looking at the device manager. See attached picture.

I don't think Nvidia NVEC has much to do with your display issue. NVENC, which is NVindia ENCoder is a API used by software developers to access the H.264 hardware video encoder introduced in Kepler Nvidia GPUs. Basically, it's the guts of what happens behind the scene when one uses hardware encoding.

Best of luck, I'm out of ideas so will drop out. A perplexing issue to say the least.

Jeff
[Thumb - graphic.png]
 Filename
graphic.png
[Disk]
 Description
Clean Nvidia driver install
 Filesize
106 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
258 time(s)
babindia
Senior Contributor Location: India Joined: Aug 16, 2007 06:11 Messages: 884 Offline
[Post New]
1Nina

I am not sure if this will help. Reduce your laptop's resolution by a notch. PC specs :
OS Windows 10.0 Pro
MB - AS rock Z77 extreme 11
Intel 3770K @ 4.0 Ghz OC
Gskill 32 GB RAM 1800 Mhz
6 TB HDD, SSD bootable
nVidia ASUS GTX 660 Ti
BenQ 22" LCD monitor 1920x1080

1Nina
[Post New]
Thanks, Jeff,

it's a clean install, alright.
Thanks for your guidance, Jeff.
Just something.