Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Missing/Disappearing Buttons
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
If this has come up before (it probably has), I somehow missed it. No doubt, someone will set me straight.

I'm not referring to the age old problem of random bits of the workspace going grey.

For no obvious reason, the options buttons above the timeline go AWOL. The clips in the attached screen capture are all split from the same original AVI & have only had moderate video speed applied.

When I packed the offending project and transferred it to another PC, the problem persisted with the same clips.

Unlinking the video & audio brought the buttons back. Don't know why.

Cheers - Tony
 Filename
Missing Buttons.wmv
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
1332 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
387 time(s)

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Tony,

Whilst not exactly the same?? does this post add anything.
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/30517.page#167489

I think the difference between "integrated" AV and "linked" AV is not documented well, but is crucial - particularly if PD is less than precise in handling small changes in audio (perhaps triggered by the video speed edit??).

No answer I'm afraid, just observations.

Cheers
Adrian Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Thank you Adrian -

I figured it would have been raised before, but that's where my figuring stopped

I agree it's related somehow to the audio editing (video speed) & yet
(1) it's never happened here before even though I've done the same thing with thousands of the same sorts of screen capture clips
(2) it didn't occur consistently to each clip within the project

Something about editing in WE caused something similar, I think. I'd have to go hunting for that one.

Cheers - Tony
RobAC [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Mar 09, 2013 18:20 Messages: 406 Offline
[Post New]
Ahem ... this has been the bane for quite a few of us- surprised you two have now just encountered this issue:

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/29997.page

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/30501.page

However- nice screen capture- send her off Tech support and give them heck !

The v2420 update should have fixed this- but I still find that is not the case. Some workaround pointed to in one of those links is to set transitions to really slooooow default timing- which just does not cut it for me.

Rob
PD 14 Ultimate Suite / Win10 Pro x64
1. Gigabyte Brix PRO / i7-4770R Intel Iris Pro 5200 / 16 GB / 1 TB SSD
2. Lenovo X230T / 8GB / Intel HD4000 + ViDock 4 Plus & ASUS Nvidia 660 Ti / Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIZw3GPwKMo&feature=youtu.be
ynotfish
[Post New]
Hey Rob - Thanks - I knew someone would point me in the right direction.

What a schemozzle! Even though I feel I little bit silly for missing what was posted previously, I can barely make head nor tail of that thread - http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/15/29997.page It's hard to even tell what the issue is!

Is it disappearing buttons or unwanted/spontaneous unlinking of V/A tracks? And how on earth is transition duration related to that?

In the scenario I posted above:
1. There were no transitions used
2. My clips didn't spontaneously unlink themselves (but deliberately unlinking them brought back the buttons)
3. I was/am using build 2527, though that's probably irrelevant.
and - even though I follow fairly similar procedures working with screen capture clips - that has NEVER occurred here before with ANY other build of PD12.

Is anyone else confused? Maybe it's 'cos I'm DownUnder and everything's upside down.

The other thread - http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/30501.page - made a bit more sense.

OK - so it's either a bug that needs fixing or...

Anyway - whatever the problem is, Thanks Rob for pointing me to those threads & thanks Adrian for sharing your observations I'd previously missed.

It'd be good if a clear summary of these issues (plural) was posted, if that's possible.

Cheers - Tony

Edited to correct link

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Feb 14. 2014 12:49

CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Tony

And here too:

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/30321.page#175396

The missing button issue has only happened since PD12 on my rig. Oddly enough this rig also has had PD10 & 11 on it!

Not so Happy Editing

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 14. 2014 00:00

Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel
PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

- PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!

RobAC [Avatar]
[Post New]
Neil, watch Tony's really good video highlighting the issue that he attached to his first post- it concerns the menu options disappearing directly above the timeline. (Not the old random issue of blankness around the PD window that can be brought back by simply minimizing and maximizing the entire PD window.)

Tony,

Yes a bloody confused mess (btw- fix your second link, you linked to the same thread twice in your last post
The issue for me pops up exactly as you show in your video. Also clicking on the audio portion brings back the menu options after unlinking the audio/video too, as I am sure you are aware by now.

That thread is confusing because it points to a fix / workaround of setting the default transition to 2.0 in preferences. Yet this makes no sense to me since my personal default is 0.7 (42 frames) and PD should work without us having to mess around keeping a default setting that causes more wasted time! Using different transition timing also causes the issue as noted in that thread. However the big thing is, and I agree with you:

You don't even have to use any transition between your clips for this issue to pop up ! So I consider that fix / workaround a complete bust. I notice it happens the majority of times as soon as I split a clip. Adding an effect, changing the clip somehow- not sure what if anything triggers this anomaly.

I have used the latest beta patch like you, with the exact same result. Now back to using the official v2420 patch. I just opened an older .pds that had this issue and it still affects it. I am currently working on some newer projects so will test some more and see if the v2420 patch does any good.

Having to unlink to get back the menu options above the timeline is a pain to put it mildly.

Rob
2. Lenovo X230T / 8GB / Intel HD4000 + ViDock 4 Plus & ASUS Nvidia 660 Ti / Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIZw3GPwKMo&feature=youtu.be
ynotfish
[Post New]
Hi Rob -

Yes - I fixed my error up there.

Re: Beta Patch 2527 & Released Patch 2420 - it's hard to imagine that a fix included in 2420 would be removed from 2527 (beta)

From 2420 notes: 3. Resolves the audio/video out of sync issue after saving and reopening a project when the default transitions duration in preferences is a non-integer.
- my default transition time is usually 0.5 - 0.8, though I modify for different projects. I've never experienced the issue. Must only apply under specific conditions.

That thread is like many discussions - starts in one place and meanders off onto something else & before you know it, it seems like the two are linked. To me, they appear to be wholly separate issues.

Cheers - Tony
RobAC [Avatar]
[Post New]
Okay- I was just able to reproduce the error completely by chance twice in a row. I was working on something and did the following:

1.) Dragged a clip on to the timeline, split it in 2 parts and then sped up the first split 1.5 X
Then I noticed the 2 split clips had the missing menu options issue as well as a totally unrelated clip in front of these two clips!
Tried undoing the 1.5 X speed but no luck. (Wasn't able to try re-combining the clips into one for some reason- so not able to test if that would reverse the issue.)

2.) Split a totally different clip 3 ways and then manually lowered the audio to fade out some sound at the beginning and a bit into the middle parts. Again the same issue popped up- missing menu options.

Rob

DJTP [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 16, 2009 15:55 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
I just fired another tech support contact regarding this issue. This regression is becoming very annoying and is incurring a lot of productivity lost. I have been running 2420 - same problem! I have my transition default to 1.5s and I work primarily with HD MP4s at 23.976 fps.

I have been developing software for 26 years. This regression should have been a "no ship" defect. Cyber devs, this is embarrassing guys! Please fix it before your loyal customers go postal and jump ship. (I've been using PD since version 8.)