Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >

Maybe put the scrubber at the desired clip, size window for the whole timeline, use selection rectangle from right to left and get close to desired clip based on the scrubber reference. You can then zoom in on timeline in desired area and use the Ctrl and left mouse click to add or subtract some clips to get to your desired selection.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff, good idea!

Norm
Quote Maybe use the timeline selection rectangle to select clip you want to move and everything to the right in the timeline on tracks 1 and 2. Mouse drag or key sequence nudge to move all left to your new location.

If not, attach a pic of your timeline so one can perhaps understand a little better.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff. I have done that in the past but it requires you to shrink the timeline down to screen size. When you are drawing a rectangle you cannot go past the edge of the screen. it won't scroll sideways. And, if you have a long timeline (think hundreds of pictures), it's almost impossible to put a rectangle around them and accurately get what you want included. I'll see if I can come up with a screen shot or two to add to this thread.

Thanks!
So I'm doing a slideshow that had still pictures as well as video. I use track 2 to hold captions related to the pix and video. If I delete a pic or a video clip it gives me options to leave a gap, don't leave a gap, move everything with it, etc.

However, if I want to just drag a clip to the left, there is no way (that I can see) to also force the following media/titles/etc with it. IS there a way to do that?

Thanks

No. You don't buy any of the software, you are just renting it for the duration of payment.
Stop payment, the access to all of the software functions stops.

Thank you, that's exactly what I wanted to know. Unfortunately more and more software is going this way, obviously because it is a much better revenue stream for the manufacturer. MS really started this trean with Office, now everyone else is jumping on the bandwagon. And to buy the "extras" that come "free" with PD 365 is a ridiculous amount of money, clearly to get you to move to 365. I'm surprised that they still offer PD20 as a standalone "forever" product. I'll probably just upgrade to that for now. 365 is not a good option for me.

CL - if you're reading this: consider offering all the add-on packs at a reasonable price. $50 for each pack is ludicrous for what you get.

Norm
Quote At some point after the subscription ends you will stop being able to access PD. Launching it will bring up the Activate this computer window which requires a valid subscription to continue.

There's nothing stopping you from paying for a month and then stopping the subscription each time you need to use the editor if you only occasionally produce videos.

See this discussion for additional considerations.

Thanks very much, this is exactly the info I need!

One more question if I may on a totally different subject: Free templates for Particles, video overlays, and titles. I've started to scroll through some of them but run into two problems. First, there are 10's of thousands of them, second, there is no catagoration of them (i.e. holiday, party, birthday, etc.). Other than just brute force scrolling through them and picking out ones you like and downloading them, is there any other (better?) way to search them?

Thanks!

Norm
I am currently using PD18 Ultra but am considering moving to PD 365 because of all the new and extra video overlays, particles, etc. If I purchase it, then stop the subscription at some later date, will the software still work? Of course, no new items will be available to me after my subscription expires, correct?

Thanks!

Norm
I'm putting together a slide show, part of which uses very old pictures. Is there an effect that would make the produced video look like it's a scratchy old movie? I've searched all of the effects, etc in PD18 but cannot find anything like I want. I'd appreciate it if you can direct me to something like this!

Thanks!

Norm
I don't want any image, it makes it too hard to see the text. Is there a way to just have a black (or plain color) background other than make a .jpg that is black and upload it?

Thanks!

mwm
Quote Not sure what program created that original DVD and VOB's but a little unusual to me for NTSC. 99.99% of all DVD's are typically interlaced, this one is progressive. But yes, notice the small video maximum bitrate and the small frame.
Maximum bit rate : 1 315 kb/s
Width : 352 pixels
Height : 240 pixels

~1300kb/sec video bitrate on a DVD is usually some pretty poor quality with PD. More professional encoders can have good quality at that low bitrate. However, when that source video in the VOB's is made DVD "Best Quality" in PD, the frame size and bitrate go up, 720x480 and ~8300kb/s max for the video. One then needs to add the audio bitrate too for overall bitrate and file size. This is what's creating your quoted 3.7GB to 30GB jump.

Jeff

Hello Jeff,

I want to thank you for your assistance and knowledge, I appreciate it very much! I just wish there was a way I could import the video files into an an application so I could add a real menu yet put all the movies onto a DVD like they are now. Anyway, thank you again!

Norm

Download the text file and attach as a file so we can look at it, the 1315kb/s sounds about right and very close to my guess of ~1500kb/s.

Jeff

Here you go Jeff!

Load one of the VOB files in MediaInfo so you can see the specifics, https://mediaarea.net/MediaInfoOnline . You will probably see a overall bitrate 1500 kb/s or something small like that. By default, PD creates a DVD with a overall bitrate of ~9300 kb/s, hence the much larger size. Other software can be similar.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff for responding! I loaded the file in Mediainfo and got the following results:

In the General section:
- Overall bit rate : 47.8 Mb/s

In the Video section:
Bit rate : 46.7 Mb/s
Maximum bit rate : 1 315 kb/s

So is the original bit rate 46.7Mb/s or 1,315kb/s? Sorry, never looked at this info before. THanks for your time!

Norm
OK, this question is not about Powerdirector itself but is relevant so please don't desert me yet!

I got some DVDs that have Charlie Chan movies on them. There are 6 movies per DVD (4.7G single layer). The "menu" on these discs, if you want to call it that, is simply a file listing on a blue background. Apparently whoever put these together really didn't know what they were doing with the software. So I thought I would rip the discs, separate out each of the movies with DVDShrink, and then suck them back in with Powerdirector and make new discs with a decent menu. So, I separated out the movies and saved each one in it's own folder (.VOB files). Each movie VOB is approximately 600M, multiply times 6 for a total of about 3.7G. So, I fired up Powerdirector, went to Make Disc, and pulled each VOB in. Down below where it shows the total data and how much of the chosen disc type you are using, the data size was just over 32G. FYI, it did the same thing when I pulled the VOB files into DVDFab 12 and made a disc, as well as when I sucked them into NERO 10. So the bottom line question is, when I start with 6 movies that all fit on a standard DVD, why does the result of my process end up needing a 50G Blu-Ray??? I'm stumped, please let me know if you have an explanation!

Thanks

mwm
Hello,

I'm considering upgrading my PD18 to PD19. However, I cannot find a feature comparison list between the two so I don't know what new features I would get with PD19. Does this comparison list exist anywhere?

Thanks

mwm
Quote I'm not aware of any way to control an external player like that unless you break your content into chapters and have the player set to pause at the end of each chapter.

You can lengthen the desired slide on the timeline to keep it visible for longer, but you'd have to use the FF/Skip button on the player if you wanted to move on before the duration was over.

It certainly seems simpler to just pause the slideshow using the player controls and resume when you're ready, but if you need that to happen by itself and only resume manually, you may need to use one of the earlier two suggestions.

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. Yes, I can lengthen the time that a slide is displayed so text can be read, or just advise the viewer to pause the DVD. I was just hoping there was a way to do it through the slide show - I swear I'd seen it done somewhere in the past but can't recall where. Thanks again!
I have a couple of cases in slideshows where it would be very helpful to pause the show and then continue it via a DVD player action (i.e. click on an icon or text) to start the slideshow again. Is there a way to do this in PD18?

Thanks

Norm

Pretty much the options listed here: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/82454.page#post_box_339637

You may have to right click on the video clip and "Set Clip Attributes > Set Aspect Ratio...." and adjust accordingly if proper aspect ratio of the video was not enforced.

Jeff

Thanks for the info!!
Hello,

I tried searching for this but didn't find any relevant topics. I am creating slideshows using the full editor. I have some video that I want to insert along with the still pictures. The problem is that the pictures are 16:9 and the video is 4:3. The pictures display correctly but the video is stretched horizontally. Is there a way to fix this so that both pictures and video display properly?

Thanks!

Norm

Yes, but there's no way to shorten the crossfades as part of another operation. You can manually change the length of a crossfade transition that's applied to two clips, but that won't change the length of either clip at all. You'd need to do that to the first clip and let the following clip(s) slide up - assuming they're not impacted by other clips

It doesn't

Basically, I see this is a workflow issue, and the quickest way around these obstacles is to change how, when, and where you make these edits. One way to do that would be to approach this in segments.

Since you've got photos and want to set them to music, a straightforward change would be to start with the first song and group of pics and tweak the durations so they line up with the music. Then, either save that as its own project or move everything to the far right of the timeline before starting on the next section.

The goal is to take care of the main alignments individually so the other clips won't impact the ones your working on (and vice versa). If you've saved each clip as its own project, you can then create the master/final project and insert each project on the timeline as an Expanded Project.

At that point you can do the audio transitions and make any length changes on the final image in each section. You might actually find it easier to produce each section individually, and then lay the produced sections end to end in the final project so you won't have to worry about anything slipping out of alignment.

Hi,

Guess what? Locking the audio track allows me to re-duration the pictures with ni side effect of putting blank space between them to maintain overall length! I did two slideshows last night using this technique and I never got any separated pictures - they all got the new duration and stayed together

Thanks for your help with this!

Your screenshot is very helpful, and if you expand the view on your timeline to take in more clips, you'll see the cause.

As I mentioned, PD is trying to accomodate your request but it's running into a problem with clips on the audio track. In your case, its the audio track following Fife and drum bumping up against it and causing the clip line above to fracture.

Here's a screen recording showing the issue:

As you can see, the solution is to temporarily move the audio clip directly under the clips you're shortening so that all the other clips to the right can move up in sync. You then can put the audio track back, although you may need to trim it to match the shorter duration of the images.

Thanks so much for your help, this will certainly solve this mystery. I understand what you're saying about the two audio tracks running into each other, thereby forcing PD to put blank spaces between the pix. To ask a further question though, the audio tracks following the one you see on the screen are all cross-faded so they already overlap each other. I would <assume> that the crossfade would just get larger as the downstream audio tracks are pulled to the left, but apparently that's not the case, and PD spaces the pictures to keep the overall length the same as it "can't" move the downstream audio. Does my logic make sense? I am going to try locking the audio track and see if that makes a difference.

Again, thanks for your insight!
Quote I understand what you're saying, and if that's the behavior you're seeing, it would also make sense that the transitions break.

However, I don't see that behavior at all. If I have a bunch of images all in a row and I select a bunch of them and change their duration, the selected ones get shorter and the clips to the right automatically fill in, keeping the row intact.

The behavior you've described sounds more like what happens when you've got A/V content on several tracks and PD can't reduce the total duration of the selected clips because it can't pull up the content on the other tracks.

Please take a screenshot of your timeline and save it to a JPG or PNG file, then use the Attachments button below the forum's text box to share it here.

Thanks for the reply! I was working on another slideshow today and was not having the problem as I described above UNTIL I had separated out some pictures from some others and left a gap between the two sets of pix. Then when I tried lowering the duration of the second set (all highlighted, no transitions yet), the first half of the pix got a blank put between them and kept the same amount of space occupied, and the second half of the pix all stayed together and had no blanks between them. See the attached pic with a before and after (top is before lowering duration). I don't understand why it leaves the blanks in the first place and I really don't understand why it put blanks between the pictures only in the first half of the group surprised

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me on this one. It seems to be very random but I'm sure there's something in here that will make sense once someone points it out!
Go to: