Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Why does the video blow up from 3.9G to over 30G??
NormS [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 30, 2019 22:27 Messages: 35 Offline
[Post New]
OK, this question is not about Powerdirector itself but is relevant so please don't desert me yet!

I got some DVDs that have Charlie Chan movies on them. There are 6 movies per DVD (4.7G single layer). The "menu" on these discs, if you want to call it that, is simply a file listing on a blue background. Apparently whoever put these together really didn't know what they were doing with the software. So I thought I would rip the discs, separate out each of the movies with DVDShrink, and then suck them back in with Powerdirector and make new discs with a decent menu. So, I separated out the movies and saved each one in it's own folder (.VOB files). Each movie VOB is approximately 600M, multiply times 6 for a total of about 3.7G. So, I fired up Powerdirector, went to Make Disc, and pulled each VOB in. Down below where it shows the total data and how much of the chosen disc type you are using, the data size was just over 32G. FYI, it did the same thing when I pulled the VOB files into DVDFab 12 and made a disc, as well as when I sucked them into NERO 10. So the bottom line question is, when I start with 6 movies that all fit on a standard DVD, why does the result of my process end up needing a 50G Blu-Ray??? I'm stumped, please let me know if you have an explanation!

Thanks

mwm
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote OK, this question is not about Powerdirector itself but is relevant so please don't desert me yet!

I got some DVDs that have Charlie Chan movies on them. There are 6 movies per DVD (4.7G single layer). The "menu" on these discs, if you want to call it that, is simply a file listing on a blue background. Apparently whoever put these together really didn't know what they were doing with the software. So I thought I would rip the discs, separate out each of the movies with DVDShrink, and then suck them back in with Powerdirector and make new discs with a decent menu. So, I separated out the movies and saved each one in it's own folder (.VOB files). Each movie VOB is approximately 600M, multiply times 6 for a total of about 3.7G. So, I fired up Powerdirector, went to Make Disc, and pulled each VOB in. Down below where it shows the total data and how much of the chosen disc type you are using, the data size was just over 32G. FYI, it did the same thing when I pulled the VOB files into DVDFab 12 and made a disc, as well as when I sucked them into NERO 10. So the bottom line question is, when I start with 6 movies that all fit on a standard DVD, why does the result of my process end up needing a 50G Blu-Ray??? I'm stumped, please let me know if you have an explanation!

Thanks

mwm

Load one of the VOB files in MediaInfo so you can see the specifics, https://mediaarea.net/MediaInfoOnline . You will probably see a overall bitrate 1500 kb/s or something small like that. By default, PD creates a DVD with a overall bitrate of ~9300 kb/s, hence the much larger size. Other software can be similar.

Jeff
NormS [Avatar]
[Post New]

Load one of the VOB files in MediaInfo so you can see the specifics, https://mediaarea.net/MediaInfoOnline . You will probably see a overall bitrate 1500 kb/s or something small like that. By default, PD creates a DVD with a overall bitrate of ~9300 kb/s, hence the much larger size. Other software can be similar.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff for responding! I loaded the file in Mediainfo and got the following results:

In the General section:
- Overall bit rate : 47.8 Mb/s

In the Video section:
Bit rate : 46.7 Mb/s
Maximum bit rate : 1 315 kb/s

So is the original bit rate 46.7Mb/s or 1,315kb/s? Sorry, never looked at this info before. THanks for your time!

Norm
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Thanks Jeff for responding! I loaded the file in Mediainfo and got the following results:

In the General section:
- Overall bit rate : 47.8 Mb/s

In the Video section:
Bit rate : 46.7 Mb/s

So is the original bit rate 46.7Mb/s or 1,315kb/s? Sorry, never looked at this info before. THanks for your time!

Norm

Download the text file and attach as a file so we can look at it, the 1315kb/s sounds about right and very close to my guess of ~1500kb/s.

Jeff
NormS [Avatar]
[Post New]

Download the text file and attach as a file so we can look at it, the 1315kb/s sounds about right and very close to my guess of ~1500kb/s.

Jeff

Here you go Jeff!
 Filename
Mediaonline.rtf
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
3 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
116 time(s)
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Not sure what program created that original DVD and VOB's but a little unusual to me for NTSC. 99.99% of all DVD's are typically interlaced, this one is progressive. But yes, notice the small video maximum bitrate and the small frame.
Width : 352 pixels
Height : 240 pixels

~1300kb/sec video bitrate on a DVD is usually some pretty poor quality with PD. More professional encoders can have good quality at that low bitrate. However, when that source video in the VOB's is made DVD "Best Quality" in PD, the frame size and bitrate go up, 720x480 and ~8300kb/s max for the video. One then needs to add the audio bitrate too for overall bitrate and file size. This is what's creating your quoted 3.7GB to 30GB jump.

Jeff
NormS [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Not sure what program created that original DVD and VOB's but a little unusual to me for NTSC. 99.99% of all DVD's are typically interlaced, this one is progressive. But yes, notice the small video maximum bitrate and the small frame.
Width : 352 pixels
Height : 240 pixels

~1300kb/sec video bitrate on a DVD is usually some pretty poor quality with PD. More professional encoders can have good quality at that low bitrate. However, when that source video in the VOB's is made DVD "Best Quality" in PD, the frame size and bitrate go up, 720x480 and ~8300kb/s max for the video. One then needs to add the audio bitrate too for overall bitrate and file size. This is what's creating your quoted 3.7GB to 30GB jump.

Jeff

Hello Jeff,

I want to thank you for your assistance and knowledge, I appreciate it very much! I just wish there was a way I could import the video files into an an application so I could add a real menu yet put all the movies onto a DVD like they are now. Anyway, thank you again!

Norm