Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD 365: Can I subscribe then stop?
NormS [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 30, 2019 22:27 Messages: 35 Offline
[Post New]
I am currently using PD18 Ultra but am considering moving to PD 365 because of all the new and extra video overlays, particles, etc. If I purchase it, then stop the subscription at some later date, will the software still work? Of course, no new items will be available to me after my subscription expires, correct?

Thanks!

Norm
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
At some point after the subscription ends you will stop being able to access PD. Launching it will bring up the Activate this computer window which requires a valid subscription to continue.

There's nothing stopping you from paying for a month and then stopping the subscription each time you need to use the editor if you only occasionally produce videos.

See this discussion for additional considerations.
[Post New]
Quote I am currently using PD18 Ultra but am considering moving to PD 365 because of all the new and extra video overlays, particles, etc. If I purchase it, then stop the subscription at some later date, will the software still work? Of course, no new items will be available to me after my subscription expires, correct?

No. You don't buy any of the software, you are just renting it for the duration of payment.
Stop payment, the access to all of the software functions stops.
NormS [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote At some point after the subscription ends you will stop being able to access PD. Launching it will bring up the Activate this computer window which requires a valid subscription to continue.

There's nothing stopping you from paying for a month and then stopping the subscription each time you need to use the editor if you only occasionally produce videos.

See this discussion for additional considerations.

Thanks very much, this is exactly the info I need!

One more question if I may on a totally different subject: Free templates for Particles, video overlays, and titles. I've started to scroll through some of them but run into two problems. First, there are 10's of thousands of them, second, there is no catagoration of them (i.e. holiday, party, birthday, etc.). Other than just brute force scrolling through them and picking out ones you like and downloading them, is there any other (better?) way to search them?

Thanks!

Norm
NormS [Avatar]
[Post New]

No. You don't buy any of the software, you are just renting it for the duration of payment.
Stop payment, the access to all of the software functions stops.

Thank you, that's exactly what I wanted to know. Unfortunately more and more software is going this way, obviously because it is a much better revenue stream for the manufacturer. MS really started this trean with Office, now everyone else is jumping on the bandwagon. And to buy the "extras" that come "free" with PD 365 is a ridiculous amount of money, clearly to get you to move to 365. I'm surprised that they still offer PD20 as a standalone "forever" product. I'll probably just upgrade to that for now. 365 is not a good option for me.

CL - if you're reading this: consider offering all the add-on packs at a reasonable price. $50 for each pack is ludicrous for what you get.

Norm
[Post New]
Unfortunatelly that trend was started by sofware companies oferings for businesses. Businesses like that model because they can bill that as expenses for their business and therefore is easily tax deductible and also they charge their clients for that.
Autodesk, Microsoft... I get it.
But this software is not for business usage, it is stated so in their EULA!
They actually don't have licenses for mpeg or mp4 codecs, so those file formats cannot be used commercially (I would argue that even the monetized Youtube content is comercial).
I see how they lure people with the extra features that they give away for the 365 subscribers, but I wonder... who is activelly using those?

Not for me.