Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
To me, if it'aint broke, don't fix it. PD18 Ultimte works perfectly on my Laptop. I won't be upgrading unless or until I get to a point where PD18 won't do what I need it to do.
The problem is within your environment, not with PD. I've owned 4 verions of PD, I currently own PD18 Ultimate, and I've yet to see a single crash of the software. I've produced dozens of videos with no issues. You should start by posting your full system specs, and also give people here a good sense of the kind of videos that you're trying to produce, including the codecs for the source clips that form your video. You may be using one or more files with a codec that's inconpatible with PD.

The specs that I want in my new desktop computer are i7, 16gb, 1T ssd, dedicated graphics card, and windows pro. When you use your gaming laptop for video editing, does it lag or does it do a good job? I do planned on using the computer for video editing and since I'm going to spend above my budget, I want a computer that will do a great job and also offers more. Anyway, either way I I will buy a desktop but not sure if it will be a gaming or a regular pc which is what I'm trying to figure out before buying one.

Again, thank you.

My Laptop has an i7 processor, 16 gigs of RAM, 300GB hard drive, and a GTX1060 video card. It handles Power Director perfectly. In your case, go for a Desktop, and get an i9 processor if your budget allows. Good luck.
Quote Hi, I'm buying a new computer and know the specs I need - I'm down to one decision but need more info on it. I'm a little confused about which computer to buy - a gaming one or a regular desktop pc. I appreciate if anyone here can tell me which type of computer is best for video editing. Thank you.

If video editing will be the primary use for your new computer, a Desktop computer with a powerful CPU and GPU and plenty of RAM and hard drive capacity would be the way to go. If, like me, you are a casual user of Power Director, then a gaming laptop works just fine. I have a good gaming laptop that I also use for writing and video editing. It handles all three processes very well, but if I was heavily into video editing then I would have a Desktop computer.
Quote Dissolve is a transition,which I see is in PD 18

I am asking about the choices in the effects section, not transitions

The answer remains pretty much the same.
Quote I know PD 18 has many effects that come with it and others you can download

I wanted to ask about the best ones people have used when recording dance performances, etc

I think that it's entirely subjective and is driven by the mood of the music. I think that sometimes, with a ballad for example, a simple dissolve is so much more appropriate than anything else. Ask yourself the question 'which effect adds to the immersion of the performance?' In my opinion, any effect used should be an enhancement rather than a substitute for content. Good luck. cool
Is there anything different about the audio format that you're using on this project? This feels like a compatibility issue.
I think that people get fixated on this subject in the same way that 'gamers' get fixated on FPS. When running a video game, it really doesn't matter what your FPS is, as long as the game is running smoothly on your system. In Power Director, as long as the rendering process is smooth and accurate then you're in good shape. I use PD18 Ultimate on my laptop which has a GTX1060 GPU. The GPU handles about 50 percent of the load during rendering. The 'Produce' process takes about 40 percent of the time of total duration of the project. I don't know how that compares with other systems, but I'm perfectly happy with it.
I've found the stand-alone Cyberlink products, PD17 and PD18, to be very good once they're patched. I've been using PD18 Ultimate for over a year with no issues. The subscribtion model for PD 18 seems to have been a fiasco when it was rolled out, and the rollout for PD19 seems to also have some major issues. If I was a heavy user of video editing software, the Power Director subscription offering would not be my choice.
I think there's a valid point here. I understand Cyberlink pushing the subscription model, but there are so many casual video editors out there like me who are only interested in purchasing the stand-alone product. I've found that the trick with Cyberlink is to always wait for the first patch before purchasing the new version of the software. I did that with PD18, and once I was happy that it was a stable program that did what I needed it to do, I then uninstalled PD17.

PD19 is different though. If you edit HD rather than 4K, it's really not worth spending $139 on. It basically tidies up the track assignments, which I can do myself in PD18 by adding additional video/audio tracks to slide the dedicated title and V/O tracks out of the field of view. It offers additional functionality with masks that I never use, and it offers the ability to change the colors of the different elements of the motion graphics, which there's a workaround for in PD18. And I'm not going to spend $80 by upgrading, because I don't think that's ever a smart thing to do.

If, after the initial sale period has passed, Cyberlink offered the above functionality as a $30 upgrade patch for PD18 users, I'd purchase it, but other than that, I'll wait for PD20 and assess what that offers.
To be honest, having now looked at the new PD19 Ultimate, I've decided to say with my stand-alone PD18 Ultimate. I edit HD rather than 4K, and there really isn't any benefit to upgrading. They've tidied up the track assignments, but you can pretty much do that yourself in PD18, except you're stuck with the FX track in PD18. Then there's some additional functionality with masks and captions. It feels more like an update than a new offering. I'm sure it makes sense if you're a 365 user, but it doesn't make sense for me to pay $139 for this update. smile
Quote If you have a choice, or have important editing work to do: I would recommend to wait until the first patch has arrived.
Look at the forum so far, a number of questions about behavior, some -it must be said- due to the changes and simplifications in the UI, others were clearly waiting for the wider audience testing.
So far working with 19 after a ca 9 hours download period, I have experienced a number of program crashes, some even without PD to catch the error and allow reporting... (I have reported those back to CL with error information retrieved from system level).
Having said that, my general impression is that the program works fairly well.

I agree with you, Warry. Waiting makes a lot of sense. I did that with PD18 Ultimate, and it was smooth sailing for me. Thanks for the info.
Once the chaos of the download situation is resolved, I'll be interested to know how stable or buggy the stand alone version of PD 19 Ultimate is. I like some of the new features, but I'm not going to pay $140 for a buggy mess. With Cyberlink, history tells us to wait a few months. smile
I understand the points you're making. I was a television director for 16 years, having been a technical director for 7 years before that, and content was always more important than the bells and whistles. I went from editing with 2 inch videotape, to 1 inch video tape, to digi beta, to Avid, and video fx were not often a significant part of the editing process. For a domestic product, Power Director is very impressive, but in my opinion there are better options out there if you are a professional videographer/Editor.
Quote I have recently installed the upgrade from PD16 to PD18 and am now getting into omy latest project (196 video clips and 170 jpegs) am finding PD18 is getting really hard to work with.

I found the performance of PD16 acceptable, but PD18 is really really slow, and shows signs of catching up and screen pauses that are simply disruptive to any sort of workflow.

I have cleared out all the old cache and temporary files as I know they can over time cause problems.

It seems to me that CL have added all sorts of extra bells and whistles (some I admit are really nice touches) but my PC that used to make a acceptable job of running PD16 is really showing its age (if this is where the problem lies) and struggling with PD18.

My system is CoreI7 based with 16G of memory, SSD for drive C and Terrabytes of dedicated HD for video storage, exactly the same hardware that ran PD16.

Working with any sort of fluency is nigh on impossible, to the extent that I am now trialing a different editor, that seriously provides a very fluent environment, and so far has no disadvantages that make a change challenging.

Thoughts from other members???

Alan.

You'd need to post your full computer specs in order for the techies here to assist you. I have an i7 CPU and a GTX 1060 GPU and PD18 runs very smoothly on my projects. That said, I work with HD not 4K, and my projects are pretty straight forward.
I don't open the program to check for updates, I just go here...

https://www.cyberlink.com/support/index.html?productId=4
Quote Hello,
I want to be able to move the line separating two adjacent clips. Of course I can shorten one and lengthen the other... but in Final Cut, there is a function that allows you to move the separation between two clips in a single operation (of course as long as the clip that is "lengthened" by the move is long enough). Does this function exist in PD?

You can right click on a clip on the TL and select from the available options. Selecting ‘Remove, Fill Gap, and move all clips’ will move all of the clips on multiple tracks in your project up, keeping them all in sync. Also, you can hold down your left mouse button on an empty track on the timeline and then move your cursor. You will see a box start to emerge. Every clip that that box touches will be selected. You can then move all of those selected clips at the same time. Also, if you click the first clip in the track to highlight that clip, then hold down the shift key and click the last clip in the track, that selects the entire track and everything moves as a single unit when you drag anywhere within the track.

CTRL Click each one and then move OR SHIFT and then click the end and move it then

Hold down your left mouse button on an empty track on the timeline and then move your cursor. You will see a box start to emerge. Every clip that that box touches will be selected. You can then move all of those selected clips at the same time.
Quote Hey Guys-

Really anxious to hear your feedback & input! My external hard drive has recently been corrupted, not allowing me access to any of my files. TONS of video and pics lost. Geek Squad said what caused the corruption was by simply unplugging the USB connect, and going clicking on the drive and clicking "Safely Remove" or "Eject".

So I'm now wondering about using One Drive via their Cloud. It's 1TB of space. Does anyone else use One Drive when importing Media into PD?

Thanks!
Jarred

I use Microsoft One Drive to store 'Produced' PD projects. It works just fine. When I import files, I do so from my video camera's SD card into a specific folder on my desktop. Then I import into the PD media library from there. As I already have the SD card with the original footage, I don't bother creating a back up of those unedited files in One Drive.
Quote Hello all,

My current editing laptop is about 6 years old, and giving me tons of issues. I am looking to make a purchase here soon for a new editing laptop. In your experience, is there anything you recommend that is "must have", when considering which laptop purchase to make.

thanks!

There are a lot of variables here. Firstly, will this laptop be primarily used for video editing? I have PD18 loaded on my laptop that is used for a combination of things, including video editing. I have an i7 CPU, plenty of RAM, and a good Nvidia video card. PD 18 works very well on my system, but because my GPU drivers are gaming drivers rather than studio drivers, my GPU only does about 25 percent of the work during rendering. I'm perfectly happy with that compromise, because the gaming component is of equal importance to me. My render times in PD are typically about 50 percent of the duration time of the project. I'm fine with that. So, in the end, it comes down to budget and what you'll be using the laptop for. I would say that if you're looking for a computer that is dedicated to video editing, get a tower rather tha a laptop.
Go to: