Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Why was PD 20 released?
AndySA [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 04, 2011 14:39 Messages: 44 Offline
[Post New]
I "upgraded" to PD 20 from PD 18.
I was hoping for a fix of some bugs in PD 18 plus some new features.

Instead, I got an unusable product, full of errors and glitches. Functions which now require more clicks and where I need a workaround and find myself battling the system instead of working with it.

My biggest gripe is with the working window, the library, which is always reduced by a submenu sticking out with stuff I don't need, like music and colour boards, something that was quite comfortable in previous versions in separate menus.
Why was it necessary to have this in your face all the time or requiring an extra click to close it back to where it was in previous versions?

Then there's a "feature" that importing media no longer works by updating the working directory, but opens a sub-folder in the media window that has now been created in the library or working space and needs to be imported from there.
Again, additional clicks to get something done.

The worst however is the inability to move clips around in the preview window, as for some reason, only the top layer is selected. Anything underneath is stuck there and requires - yep - a work around.

And if you try and find something new and experiment with settings, it crashes. Often. Then you need to go to the task manager, manually close the PD* processes and then you can restart the program and try again.

It's simply no fun. PG 8 and I think it was 13, those were stable platforms where I could work for hours without incidents. Now I need to save and restart frequently as the program apparently can't manage memory properly and will bog down eventually.

Have the various functions and tools been re-arranged in a better way, a more logical or structured manner? Not in my eyes.

The project ratio is now under the preview window instead of the project settings and the clip vs movie view has disappeared completely and needs to be selected via the menu.

Is there ANYTHING in PD 20 that is better than the previous version? Yes, there are more transitions, effects and the annoying saved project prompt is gone. There's probably more, but I have yet to detect it and hope someone can share their experience with this version. Maybe there is more improvement that I can see and the flaws can be ironed out in a patch.

This also shows me the danger of a subscription based approach, as I can go back and use the previous version. In a subscription I can't and if the programmers decide to do somthing that kills the program for you, you are stuck with what you are offered.
TDK1044 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Apr 11, 2019 12:27 Messages: 130 Offline
[Post New]
To me, if it'aint broke, don't fix it. PD18 Ultimte works perfectly on my Laptop. I won't be upgrading unless or until I get to a point where PD18 won't do what I need it to do.
StevenG [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Jan 14, 2014 14:04 Messages: 513 Offline
[Post New]
Here is a list of new features that have been added since version 18. If they're of value to you, it's worth upgrading. If not, there's no need to:

New features in version 20 include:

• AI Sky Replacement

• Smart Fit Custom Music Duration

• Wind Removal and Speech Enhancement

• New Project Aspect Ratios

New features in version 19 include:

• A Custom Mask Selection tool

• New interface options including Reverse Timeline Display

• Audio Meters on the Preview window

• Options for undocking Windows

• Motion Graphics Title templates

• A Sketch Animation Designer

Jumara13 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 11, 2021 17:29 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Hallo und Grüß Gott, liebe Mitglieder,

vor zwei Tagen habe ich PowerDirector 365 Testversion ausprobiert an einem alten, großen Film. Das Ergebnis war zufriedenstellend und ich habe das Programm gekauft, keine AboVersion.

Der Support sendete mir einen Link für die Installation des Originals.
Das Installieren ist nicht möglich. Was immer ich auch versuche, ich bekomme nur Fehlermeldungen, bspw.
"keine Internetverbindung" , obwohl ich nebenher mit 2. Bildschirm im Internet arbeite.

Kann mir jemand helfen, das Programm zu installieren? Was mache ich falsch?
Den Support 2 x angefragt - keine Antwort.
Der Support in Karlsruhe kann oder will nicht helfen, verwies mich nach Nordamerika oder Taiwan!

Ich muss dringend alte Filme überarbeiten, jedoch wird - nach meiner positiven Bewertung der Demo - mein Tatendrang mit der gekauften Version nicht belohnt. Ich bin nahe dran, das Programm zu stornieren, denke jedoch, Geld zurück wird ebenso problematisch, wie eine Antwort und Hilfe vom Support zu erhalten. Dienstleistung gegen Null.

Was Sie schreiben kann ich bestätigen, das Auffinden von was auch immer wird zum Geduldspiel.
Das Rendern und speichern - zumindest in der Demo-Version - ebenfalls.
Bitte, ich wäre sehr dankbar für jede Hilfe für die Installation und für Tipps zur Bedienung.
Herzliches Dankeschön schon mal im Voraus!

Guten Rutsch rüber ins 2022 auch ohne Knallerei, Party und Spaß.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Ich habe von PD 18 auf PD 20 "aufgerüstet".
Ich hatte auf eine Behebung einiger Fehler in PD 18 und einige neue Funktionen gehofft.

Stattdessen bekam ich ein unbrauchbares Produkt voller Fehler und Pannen. Funktionen, die jetzt mehr Klicks erfordern und bei denen ich einen Workaround brauche und mich mit dem System bekämpfe, anstatt damit zu arbeiten.

Mein größter Kritikpunkt ist das Arbeitsfenster, die Bibliothek, die immer um ein Untermenü reduziert wird, das mit Dingen, die ich nicht brauche, herausragt, wie Musik und Farbtafeln, was in früheren Versionen in separaten Menüs recht komfortabel war.
Warum war es notwendig, dies die ganze Zeit vor Augen zu haben oder einen zusätzlichen Klick zu erfordern, um es wieder zu schließen, wo es in früheren Versionen war?

Dann gibt es noch ein "Feature", dass das Importieren von Medien nicht mehr durch Aktualisieren des Arbeitsverzeichnisses funktioniert, sondern einen Unterordner im Medienfenster öffnet, der nun in der Bibliothek oder im Arbeitsbereich erstellt wurde und von dort importiert werden muss.
Auch hier zusätzliche Klicks, um etwas zu erledigen.

Das Schlimmste ist jedoch, dass Clips nicht im Vorschaufenster verschoben werden können, da aus irgendeinem Grund nur die oberste Ebene ausgewählt ist. Alles darunter ist dort steckengeblieben und erfordert - ja - eine Umgehung.

Und wenn Sie versuchen, etwas Neues zu finden und mit Einstellungen zu experimentieren, stürzt es ab. Oft. Dann müssen Sie zum Task-Manager gehen, die PD*-Prozesse manuell schließen und dann können Sie das Programm neu starten und es erneut versuchen.

Es macht einfach keinen Spaß. PG 8 und ich glaube es waren 13, das waren stabile Plattformen, auf denen ich stundenlang ohne Zwischenfälle arbeiten konnte. Jetzt muss ich häufig speichern und neu starten, da das Programm anscheinend den Speicher nicht richtig verwalten kann und irgendwann hängen bleibt.

Sind die verschiedenen Funktionen und Tools besser, logischer oder strukturierter angeordnet? In meinen Augen nicht.

Das Projektverhältnis befindet sich jetzt unter dem Vorschaufenster anstelle der Projekteinstellungen und die Clip vs. Filmansicht ist komplett verschwunden und muss über das Menü ausgewählt werden.

Gibt es etwas in PD 20, das besser ist als die vorherige Version? Ja, es gibt mehr Übergänge, Effekte und die lästige Eingabeaufforderung für gespeicherte Projekte ist weg. Es gibt wahrscheinlich noch mehr, aber ich muss es noch entdecken und hoffe, dass jemand seine Erfahrungen mit dieser Version teilen kann. Vielleicht sehe ich noch mehr Verbesserungen und die Mängel können in einem Patch ausgebügelt werden.

Dies zeigt mir auch die Gefahr eines abonnementbasierten Ansatzes, da ich zurückgehen und die vorherige Version verwenden kann. In einem Abonnement kann ich nicht und wenn die Programmierer beschließen, etwas zu tun, das das Programm für Sie zerstört, bleiben Sie bei dem, was Ihnen angeboten wird.
AVPlayVideo
Senior Contributor Location: Home Joined: Apr 06, 2016 19:03 Messages: 703 Offline
[Post New]
Now install update PowerDirector 20.1.2424.0
Where beyond here, know what has changed?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 29. 2021 14:20

XEON-E5-2680 v4 / Mem. 16GB DDR4
M.2 NVME 512Gb / 2-SSD Sata3 1TB
AMD RX570 / Display Philips 272V8
Windows 11_64Pro / PD22/365
[Post New]
Sorry I can't help, but I can at least voice my agreement! Having new features like the media libraries is nice, but the PowerDirector workflow has just got slower and slower - saving, loading, going to the Produce page, even just splitting a clip with two audio tracks now carries a few seconds' pause. It's been a really good video editor for the years I've been using it, but I'm really being driven towards finding other platforms where the experience isn't as sluggish.