Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Making Home Movies -- How do you store your video's & pics?
Jerosmith1980 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Sep 12, 2012 10:59 Messages: 59 Offline
[Post New]
Hey Guys-

Really anxious to hear your feedback & input! My external hard drive has recently been corrupted, not allowing me access to any of my files. TONS of video and pics lost. Geek Squad said what caused the corruption was by simply unplugging the USB connect, and going clicking on the drive and clicking "Safely Remove" or "Eject".

So I'm now wondering about using One Drive via their Cloud. It's 1TB of space. Does anyone else use One Drive when importing Media into PD?

Thanks!
Jarred
TDK1044 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Apr 11, 2019 12:27 Messages: 130 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hey Guys-

Really anxious to hear your feedback & input! My external hard drive has recently been corrupted, not allowing me access to any of my files. TONS of video and pics lost. Geek Squad said what caused the corruption was by simply unplugging the USB connect, and going clicking on the drive and clicking "Safely Remove" or "Eject".

So I'm now wondering about using One Drive via their Cloud. It's 1TB of space. Does anyone else use One Drive when importing Media into PD?

Thanks!
Jarred

I use Microsoft One Drive to store 'Produced' PD projects. It works just fine. When I import files, I do so from my video camera's SD card into a specific folder on my desktop. Then I import into the PD media library from there. As I already have the SD card with the original footage, I don't bother creating a back up of those unedited files in One Drive.
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Really anxious to hear your feedback & input! My external hard drive has recently been corrupted, not allowing me access to any of my files. TONS of video and pics lost. Geek Squad said what caused the corruption was by simply unplugging the USB connect, and going clicking on the drive and clicking "Safely Remove" or "Eject".

What the geek squad told you sounds about right. I click that safely remove before unplugging when it is safe like they suggest. My internal hard drive is cooled by active front 120 to 140 mm fans. My seagate external 8TB is used only for backup and has a free 1 year data recovery plan. My seagate plus slim is already bad after only a few hours of use according to crystal disc info so I only use it for backup too. There is no place for the heat to dissapate in the external drives sold today.

A 100 Mbps may be too slow for data transfer so copying from the one drive to your hard disk may be a good alternative unless your data xfer is higher with your internet provider.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I use OneDrive a lot, and have even used it to share source clips, demos and final videos with clients. I also use it here on the forum to share videos and to let people who don't have access to their own cloud services upload content to share with other members.

In the early 2010s I made a couple dozen Blu-Ray disc backups for all source clips from my daughter and her gymnastic team's competitions, but now I typically only hang on to clips for a couple of years and delete them when I need more space. Anything worth keeping will stay on OneDrive.

As tomasc mentioned, the transfer spped from external drives can be a bottleneck, but as long as you have OneDrive set to always keep local copies of your videos on your hard drive, you'll be able to access them instantly.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°