Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
10-4.

Keep in mind also that this post was not to the user community, but merely an FYI copy of a trouble ticket submitted to CL. The comments were directed to CL, not to anyone on the forum. Although redundant to converstions here, this trouble ticket was submitted in the hopes that the more TT's they get, the more likely the problem will get fixed. Probably wishful thinking on my part. It is my habit with other vendor forums to post the trouble ticket and the resolution as an FYI to product users. I didn't make my intent clear when I made this posting, hence the confusion. For that I apologize.

Later...
Thanks for editing my editorial. I didn't realize this was such a sensitive issue. But you are right -- there was no need for the editorial comment at the end. Thanks for taking me to task on that. PD is finally finally getting to the point where one spends more time using it than fighting it, and I should be thankful for that and all those who helped make it happen.

•Ticket ID: CS001024716
•Related Product: PowerDirector

Subject: Working Faster
2011/05/31 18:25

To improve productivity of adding text to videos and pictures, please add a "Center" or "Center H&V" button just to the left of the align drop-down in the Title Designer dialog. Pressing this button should align the text box in the center of the screen, which currently requires four mouse clicks. Please have a shortcut key such as Ctrl+Shift+C.

THANKS!

•Ticket ID: CS001024642

Subject: No way to apply fading overlap transition to all
2011/05/31 14:15

When choosing to apply a transition to all, the choice is provided for "Prefix", "Postfix", or "Cross". There is no choice for "Overlap". Transitions can be individually changed from Cross to Overlap after "apply to all", but Overlap can't be "mass produced".

•Ticket ID: CS001024638

Subject: Tracks Getting Out of Sync When Edit Text
2011/05/31 14:06

Drag text style from the media library to the text track -- text to the right does not shfit (that's good).

Delete the text you just placed in the text track - or text created by pasting a text block - text to the right shifts left (that's bad).

Ctlr-V/Paste text copied from elsewhere in text track -- text to the right shifts right (bad).

Delete a video clip or picture that does not have an associated text block. Video to the right shifts left (good). Text track to the right shifts left (bad - text is now out of synch with video/pics).

One would think this kind of basic editing problem would be revealed in beta testing, but apparently not. If you would like me to serve as a beta test let me know. Samples of my PowerDirector usage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAdJ-ui1SOM

>> however, it feels like a workaround, and you should not need to utilize a workarond so often that it becomes part of the normal action of editing.

You took the words right out of my mouth. I will report this as a bug to tech support. In the meantime the workaround/circumvention can come in handy in a pinch, even thought I'd prefer the issue not to exist.

P.S. Ctrl+Z (undo) is my most use key in PD9.
For example...

Drag text style from the media library to the text track -- text to the right does not shfit (that's good).

Delete the text you just placed in the text track -- text to the right shifts left (that's bad).

Ctlr-V/Paste text copied from elsewhere in text track -- a space the size of the text block opens up in the video track -- SOMETIMES (that's bad). Also, text to the right shifts to the right (does not stay with the video you had text overlay for).

:o(

dxdiag attached...
Since upgrading to build 2702 I've had two "PowerDirector has stopped working" abends that did not exist on build 2504.
1. Rendering a YouTube upload (wmv).
2. Creating a DVD - authoring phase.

Both were a small video of mixed video clips and zoomed photos. See here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hM-I4alyXcs

Creating DVD was at 8x speed, simple default menu, HQ best quality, 556 mb output

YouTube circumvention was to render as MP4 and manually upload instead of using PD youtube procedure

No other apps open or running on the computer.

Will return to build 2504 if possible.
The new ones saved on 2702 are there. The old ones created on 2504 are not there. Henceforth I will save these directories prior to doing an upgrade.
Be advised, the following has happened to me on the last 3 build upgrades.
+ Custom rendering profiles dissapear.
+ Custom text templates dissapear (in fact on build 2702 ALL text templates dissapeared).
+ Downloaded content/templates dissapear (from DirectorZone)
Since upgrading to build 2702 my tracks are getting out of sync from each other as editing is done. Even the audio in a video clip will get shifted from the video (objects are not unlinked). Text does not move with it's photo. Transitions disappear unexpectedly. Inserting a photo or clip in a timeline does not shift the following clips/photos down the timeline. This was not happening at build level 2504. I've tried things like grouping objects, setting preferences/editing/link all tracks, etc. to no avail. Very frustrating and time consuming to correct unpredictable timeline shifts. Happening on both new and old projects.

Any suggestions as to what I might be doing wrong? Thanks.
George Trevor: Thanks for fixing my link. I didn't realize that when I put a period(.) at the end of my sentence, the forum software would parse it as part of the link. I will leave a space after henceforth. :o)

I'm not sure anyone but me cares about this issue, but I did some more diagnostics and discovered the following...

Suspecting that it's some kind of file locking issue in passing the wav file back and forth between PD and WE, I created a tiny PD9 test project to work with, and chose Edit Audio. In WE I boosted the volume 4 db. Then, using EMCO UnlockIT utility, I checked to see who had ownersip of the wav file. It was WE, as it should be. I told UnlockIT to unlock the file. I then chose Exit from WE, got a prompt to save the file, and chose yes. But this time I did not get an "unable to write file" message. WE returned/reinvoked PD9, and viola -- the video clip was there with the updated audio! Everthing worked as it should (except everything in WE file menu greyed out as it didn't know the file had been unlocked).

Since this problem started with the new version of WaveEdit provided in upgrade 2504, I suspect there's a bug in the new WE that under certain rare conditions, possibly related to hardware configuration, or timing of the system, WE tries to write the file before or without closing it (lack of closing is usualy the cause of files left locked). In that only a small percentage of PD users even want to edit the audio file (and if they do they probably already know how to do it standalone), and unknown/random hardware/software configurations cause the problem, this is not a "show stopper" for Cyberlink.

So...

If anybody wishes to persue this issue further, they can reference trouble ticket CS000984136 (and related CS000984549). I will move on and not flog this dead horse further, but just wanted to share the file locking experiment.

Later...
Thanks for the feedback.

Here are some of the videos I've created with Power Director: http://www.youtube.com/user/waaamuseum. As you see, editing wave files is something I have to deal with. Having it built in to PD would save me a lot of hassle. Hopefully Cyberlink will restore it to it's pre-2504 working condition.

This one was especially fun regarding audio (ha ha):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nS6-ASD3XrE
I have closed my trouble ticket regarding this issue, with the following comments to Cyberlink...

The support person told me to uninstall, run provided cleanup scripts, re-install. I did this and the problem still exists. Reported same to support, which said to uninstall, run provided cleanup scripts, re-install. Replied already did it, no help. Support then replied uninstall, run provided cleanup scripts, re-install. I don't have any more time to help Cyberlink debug their program. I will go back to using standalone wave editors. Too bad, as the integrated wave editor (although deficient in functionality compared to mainstream wave editors, and those in other video editors) is a great idea which, if worked, would greatly simplify the process of improving the sound in video projects. Having to save the sound as a wav file, open it in another editor, save in other editor, then import back into PD9 at the correct timeline, would be eliminated.

P.S. I suspected that the wave editor having working directories on different drives than the project source might be causing the problem. So I created a simple test project that has everything on drive C:, including the WaveEditor working directories. No help, Still everything on the File menu grayed out, and attempting to return to PD9 gets "unable to save file" with return to PD9 and all wave edits lost.

One clue - WaveEditor was working fine (as supposed to) with no loss of edits returning to PD9 -BEFORE- upgrade to new WaveEditor that came with upgrade 2504. Problem began with 2504.

Alternative to Cyberlink WaveEditor: what would be better than the wave editor that comes with PD9, would be PD9 preference setting that allows user to choose their own Wave Editor, but works like PD9 in that can push an Edit Audio button, sound is sent to wave editor (of my choice), then exiting my Wave Editor returns to PD9 with sound track updated.

FYI: I have installed and used all the popular wave editors, including Audacity, Sony Sound Forge, AVS Audio Editor, and Magix Audio Cleaning Lab. I find that NCH WavePad Audio Editor is superior to all others to term of bang for the buck, ease of use, and functionality (there is a free version, but I own the Master verion). Even though I own Sound Forge, WavePad is the editor of choice for my needs (cleaning up noise, improving voice legibility, leveling sound levels) in video projects.
The following has been submitted to Cyberlink...

•Ticket ID: CS000984549
Subject: Wave Editor - suggested improvements 2011/02/20 15:38
Please add the following to the Wave Editor to improve it's usefulness when creating videos.
1. Normalize function
2. Volume leveling function
3. Ability to save EQ Custom settings
4. A button that says "Save and return to PowerDirector"

THANKS!
I have submitted the following trouble ticket to CyberLink...

Subject: Wave Editor does not save edits when invoked from PD9 2011/02/19 15:37
When I attemp to "edit audio" of a video in PD9/2504 the audio file can be edited OK, but everything in the file menu of WaveEditor (WE) is greyed out, and when I exit WE I get a warning that the file hasn't been saved; I select save; the error message "Cyberlink WaveEditor cannot save the file" occurs. WE then returns to PD9 and the video has not been updated with the edited wav file.

What I have tried:
+ Unlink objects to get a separated audio
+ Exit from WE both with menu exit and "X"
+ Changing the location of the working directories in the WE preferences.

NOTE: changing the WE import folder does not "stick". Everytime WE is invoked it has changed back to C:\Users\MyName\Videos\
I am having the same problem. I have patch 2504 installed (new wave editor). Choose "Edit Audio" in PD9; edit wave file in WE; all file options are greyed out (with or without select all); choose exit; prompt for file not saved; choose save; error message that file can't be saved; PD9 returns sans audio edits (wav file is not updated on drive).

File being edited is an AVI file.

Can't find a way to split off audio into the audio track.
Is there a way to "normalize" volume in WaveEditor? Boost works fine, but would like to be able to "normalize" highs and lows of volume. An alternate name for this might be "volume leveling".
Is there a way to save a custom equilizer setting in the WaveEditor? I can choose custom, and set my EQ's (in my case for voice enhancement), but can't find a way to save custom, and settings are gone upon next invoke of WaveEditor.
Hmmm. Looks like there are profiles in the Ultra version that are not in my Deluxe version. Thanks to Robert and Kevin anyway for the tip. If there were some way for the end user to modify/create profiles in the MPEG-4 section like there is for the H.264 section, I could build what I need.

Thanks again for your suggestions. Perhaps profile customization will be built into all output options in a future version of PD.

Go to: