Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Cannot save file in Wave Editor after editing....
Andy4490 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 17, 2011 23:35 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Hello everyone. This is my first time using Wave Editor with the Power Director 9.

I was in Power Director 9 and had imported a video file with audio into the workspace. I then clicked on edit audio and it extracted it and opened Wave Editor. I edited the audio file the way I wanted to and now I am trying to save the file so I can close wave Editor and go back to the file in power director.

However, when I click on File all the options are grayed out and I cannot save the file. what am I doing wrong?

thanks for any advice! Andy4490
RobertJ/OZ [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne Australia Joined: Aug 14, 2006 02:26 Messages: 1209 Offline
[Post New]
Just close WaveEditor, it will then ask if you want to save

Robert Intel i7 930, 16GB ram, Radeon HD 5770 1Gb,Ver. 14.12 Win7 64 bit
Intel i7 7700 HQ, 16 GB ram Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB dual drives 1 TB SSD + 1 TB HDD Win 10

PDtoots
Andy4490 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 17, 2011 23:35 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks RobertJ.

I did just that last night and it asked if I wanted to save it. I clicked yes and then an error came up and it closed then power director reopened.

I just figured I lost the file. But I will go back and check the output location to see if it did indeed save the file.

Is this the normal way the Wave Editor saves files or was this just a way around the issue?

Thanks,

Andy4490 Andy4490
PDuser97031 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Aug 08, 2009 23:44 Messages: 91 Offline
[Post New]
I am having the same problem. I have patch 2504 installed (new wave editor). Choose "Edit Audio" in PD9; edit wave file in WE; all file options are greyed out (with or without select all); choose exit; prompt for file not saved; choose save; error message that file can't be saved; PD9 returns sans audio edits (wav file is not updated on drive).

File being edited is an AVI file.

Can't find a way to split off audio into the audio track.
Pax 123 [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Miami, Florida Joined: Feb 25, 2010 06:35 Messages: 282 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Andy and PD User,

I am using version 2504, but am unable to replicate your problem, except once I was able to get an error message that I was not able to make happen again. Neither of you indicate whether you are exiting through the equalizer emblem or the "x", although it shouldn't matter.

Could it be that the saved file is among the other files displayed in your media library and you didn't notice it? Also, you may find that the edited audio has replaced the prior unedited audio in the timeline.

I hope that, upon checking, you find this to be the case. If not, there are some sound and software experts on the forum that will help you, but they will want to be told that you have not misinterpreted PD's actions. Look for a box in your media library area which has a musical note in it. If it is there and if it has a lighted green check mark, the edited audio is there and in your timeline. If it is not highlighted, select it and play it in the preview window. This will be your edited audio.

I am not trying to imply that you did not get the error message. I am just trying to get you to confirm this message so someone can give you some actual help. You may have a download problem, or something.

good luck.

Pax

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 19. 2011 15:50

Laptop PC, ASUS
Core i7 Q 720
Win 7, 64-bit
RAM 8GB DDR2
Graphics, NVIDIA GeForce GTS 360M 1GB DDR5
twincitybulldog
Senior Member Location: Winter Haven, Florida "Home of Legoland" Joined: Aug 03, 2009 14:59 Messages: 159 Offline
[Post New]
After editing in Video Wave, click on save and it saves it in the same location that you choose for your PD9 files.
Right click on the audio file in your library and click on (open file distination).
You can easily just edit your music from Wave Editor with editing it from within Cyberlink program. Windows 8 Pro 64bit
Cameras. Panasonic AG-HMC40, GoPro Hero 3 Black
Edition.
PDuser97031 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I have submitted the following trouble ticket to CyberLink...

Subject: Wave Editor does not save edits when invoked from PD9 2011/02/19 15:37
When I attemp to "edit audio" of a video in PD9/2504 the audio file can be edited OK, but everything in the file menu of WaveEditor (WE) is greyed out, and when I exit WE I get a warning that the file hasn't been saved; I select save; the error message "Cyberlink WaveEditor cannot save the file" occurs. WE then returns to PD9 and the video has not been updated with the edited wav file.

What I have tried:
+ Unlink objects to get a separated audio
+ Exit from WE both with menu exit and "X"
+ Changing the location of the working directories in the WE preferences.

NOTE: changing the WE import folder does not "stick". Everytime WE is invoked it has changed back to C:\Users\MyName\Videos\
[Thumb - waveditorerror.JPG]
 Filename
waveditorerror.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
Error Message
 Filesize
16 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
612 time(s)
CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Message deleted Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel
PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
- PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!

Pax 123 [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Miami, Florida Joined: Feb 25, 2010 06:35 Messages: 282 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Andy and PD User,

WE is a stand alone program. However, you are using it as an adjunct with PD9. Open WE independently, leaving PD9 closed. Edit a clip and save with the File drop down menu. This should work around the issue you are experiencing. You can simply import the edited file into PD9.

As for actual resolution of the issue, perhaps removing WE from your computer and downloading a fresh version will work.

Good luck.

Pax Laptop PC, ASUS
Core i7 Q 720
Win 7, 64-bit
RAM 8GB DDR2
twincitybulldog
Senior Member Location: Winter Haven, Florida "Home of Legoland" Joined: Aug 03, 2009 14:59 Messages: 159 Offline
[Post New]
As Pax stated, Wave Editor is a standalone program, but if you use it within Power Director here is how I do it.
Click on the link below for a short demo. You can post how a video showing where you incur your errors also.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeDTpmCjT9I Windows 8 Pro 64bit
Cameras. Panasonic AG-HMC40, GoPro Hero 3 Black
Edition.
PDuser97031 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I have closed my trouble ticket regarding this issue, with the following comments to Cyberlink...

The support person told me to uninstall, run provided cleanup scripts, re-install. I did this and the problem still exists. Reported same to support, which said to uninstall, run provided cleanup scripts, re-install. Replied already did it, no help. Support then replied uninstall, run provided cleanup scripts, re-install. I don't have any more time to help Cyberlink debug their program. I will go back to using standalone wave editors. Too bad, as the integrated wave editor (although deficient in functionality compared to mainstream wave editors, and those in other video editors) is a great idea which, if worked, would greatly simplify the process of improving the sound in video projects. Having to save the sound as a wav file, open it in another editor, save in other editor, then import back into PD9 at the correct timeline, would be eliminated.

P.S. I suspected that the wave editor having working directories on different drives than the project source might be causing the problem. So I created a simple test project that has everything on drive C:, including the WaveEditor working directories. No help, Still everything on the File menu grayed out, and attempting to return to PD9 gets "unable to save file" with return to PD9 and all wave edits lost.

One clue - WaveEditor was working fine (as supposed to) with no loss of edits returning to PD9 -BEFORE- upgrade to new WaveEditor that came with upgrade 2504. Problem began with 2504.

Alternative to Cyberlink WaveEditor: what would be better than the wave editor that comes with PD9, would be PD9 preference setting that allows user to choose their own Wave Editor, but works like PD9 in that can push an Edit Audio button, sound is sent to wave editor (of my choice), then exiting my Wave Editor returns to PD9 with sound track updated.

FYI: I have installed and used all the popular wave editors, including Audacity, Sony Sound Forge, AVS Audio Editor, and Magix Audio Cleaning Lab. I find that NCH WavePad Audio Editor is superior to all others to term of bang for the buck, ease of use, and functionality (there is a free version, but I own the Master verion). Even though I own Sound Forge, WavePad is the editor of choice for my needs (cleaning up noise, improving voice legibility, leveling sound levels) in video projects.
Pax 123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi PDuser,

I see that you have a full arsenal of audio editing software. My earlier response to your thread treated you as a newbie to audio editing, rather than a newbie to the PD9 forum. No offense was intended.

Personally, I am a rank novice at audio editing. However, I can provide one service to you in this regard. That is, I can CONFIRM to you that Wave Editor works flawlessly, according to its design, within PD9. I was a Beta Tester for PD9 and WE has always worked flawlessly on my computer. Although I did have problems using it, they were caused by my own ignorance rather than by any PD9 bugs. For instance, I did not understand that the grayed-out options under "File" were gray because I was running WE from within PD9, rather than as a stand alone. This is appropriate, when you think about it. When through editing, the audio was returned to my active PD9 workspace, not saved as a separate stand alone audio edit.

I hope this confirmation will encourage you to continue your search for a resolution of your unique issue because, as you say, it is a really handy feature to have WE readily at hand, active within PD9. This, in my meager experience, is not a PD9 bug. Sorry, but I have no idea what may be causing the problem.

Regards,

Pax Laptop PC, ASUS
Core i7 Q 720
Win 7, 64-bit
RAM 8GB DDR2
CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Well said Pax Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel
PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

Trevor George
Member Location: Bristol, UK. Joined: May 29, 2010 17:44 Messages: 80 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Click on the link below for a short demo.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeDTpmCjT9I

"This Video is Private"

Edit 20.18 GMT - It has now be made "Public" . . . Thanks

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Feb 26. 2011 15:20

Trevor . . My YouTube site . . (Bristol, UK) . . My JVC GZ-HM1 Camcorder
PDuser97031 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the feedback.

Here are some of the videos I've created with Power Director: http://www.youtube.com/user/waaamuseum. As you see, editing wave files is something I have to deal with. Having it built in to PD would save me a lot of hassle. Hopefully Cyberlink will restore it to it's pre-2504 working condition.

This one was especially fun regarding audio (ha ha):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nS6-ASD3XrE
Trevor George
Member Location: Bristol, UK. Joined: May 29, 2010 17:44 Messages: 80 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: . . .some of the videos I've created with Power Director: http://www.youtube.com/user/waaamuseum.

He ! He ! You shouldn't have put a full-stop after waaamuseum.

Try - http://www.youtube.com/waaamuseum
CubbyHouseFilms
[Post New]
Great video Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel

PDuser97031 [Avatar]
[Post New]
George Trevor: Thanks for fixing my link. I didn't realize that when I put a period(.) at the end of my sentence, the forum software would parse it as part of the link. I will leave a space after henceforth. :o)

I'm not sure anyone but me cares about this issue, but I did some more diagnostics and discovered the following...

Suspecting that it's some kind of file locking issue in passing the wav file back and forth between PD and WE, I created a tiny PD9 test project to work with, and chose Edit Audio. In WE I boosted the volume 4 db. Then, using EMCO UnlockIT utility, I checked to see who had ownersip of the wav file. It was WE, as it should be. I told UnlockIT to unlock the file. I then chose Exit from WE, got a prompt to save the file, and chose yes. But this time I did not get an "unable to write file" message. WE returned/reinvoked PD9, and viola -- the video clip was there with the updated audio! Everthing worked as it should (except everything in WE file menu greyed out as it didn't know the file had been unlocked).

Since this problem started with the new version of WaveEdit provided in upgrade 2504, I suspect there's a bug in the new WE that under certain rare conditions, possibly related to hardware configuration, or timing of the system, WE tries to write the file before or without closing it (lack of closing is usualy the cause of files left locked). In that only a small percentage of PD users even want to edit the audio file (and if they do they probably already know how to do it standalone), and unknown/random hardware/software configurations cause the problem, this is not a "show stopper" for Cyberlink.

So...

If anybody wishes to persue this issue further, they can reference trouble ticket CS000984136 (and related CS000984549). I will move on and not flog this dead horse further, but just wanted to share the file locking experiment.

Later...
dotski [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 09, 2011 16:15 Messages: 17 Offline
[Post New]
Same problem here. Have gone through the hoooops with support to no avail. Here is what I get:
1) Using WE independently - Import, play and edit of files is no problem, but can save result as *.WAV file only.
2) Using WE from PD 9 with *.mp3 - can edit and play, EXIT produces "You have not saved......", click on YES,
closes WE and returns to PD. However none of the changes appear on the timeline.
The second ICON does not appear in the Media Window. The edited file is nowhere to be found on my Computer.
3) Using WE from PD 9 with *.wav - can edit and play, EXIT produces "Cyberlink WaveEditor cannot save the file"
(same end result as under 2) above)

I wonder if a PhotoDirector problem I have, is related? No AUDIO for SlideShows.

Have send the questionable files to others and tried those received (working for them) - no success.
Nothing is 'flaky' or intermittent, all functions are reliably repeatable.
Any help will certainly be appreciated. I like the programs for my purposes, but it is a real pain to work with these obstacles

WIN 7 pro 64 on SONY VGN-FW590C LapTop.
[Thumb - WE on Exit.JPG]
 Filename
WE on Exit.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
WE from PD with MP3
 Filesize
141 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
361 time(s)
[Thumb - WE SaveWAV.JPG]
 Filename
WE SaveWAV.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
WE from PD with WAV
 Filesize
129 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
361 time(s)
dotski [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 09, 2011 16:15 Messages: 17 Offline
[Post New]
Problem solved! Rebuilt my system (nothing else would do).