Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
I am using the RC6 Windows Remote (the classic one with the Green Button on it) to control PowerDVD. It works perfectly. I would like PowerDVD to close automatically when I press Stop, that way do not have to have a mouse sitting around in my living room.

How would I accomplish this, without the need to buy a programmable remote? I already launch the player using command line switches, so if there is one that tells it to "close on stop" I would be happy to have it.
Quote It's amazing that you think CyberLink is the gatekeepr on this. SGX support is being phased out, but some sort of hardware DRM encryption is still required by the Blu-ray Disc Association to play 4K blurays. So you are barking up the wrong tree, to use an old phrase.

You can see their announcement on it for more information.

https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/85973.page

Unfortunately you should think about a stand-alone player for 4K BD playback it looks like.

Dave

Other than you, who said they were The Gatekeepers?

Regardless, even you have to admit that CyberLink is the only commercial software company that uses it and Intel is the only company that provides it. With Intel no longer providing it CyberLink is now in the position where they must petition to have it no longer be required. That is if they want the product to survive.

I'm surprised that you required me to tell you this.
If CyberLink does not remove the requirement from PDVD, they will quickly find no one bothers to buy it anymore. TVs are all 4k, movies are sold in UHD for almost exactly the same price as the 1080 versions, and UDH drives are quite cheap.

CyberLink, will you petition to remove the requirement for SGX since no chip maker supports it any longer?
The list found at:

https://www.cyberlink.com/support/faq-content.do?id=19860

Is old and very short. Is there a list of motherboards that provide full UHD support somewhere that has been vetted?
No surprise that Atmos is not in version 16. It won't be in version 17 either. The easy way to get a Atmos is to buy an AVR with Atmos decoding built-in. All the modern ones have it. You can have what you want right now, digital to analog decoding of Atmos, if you just do tha.

The cost to benefit ratio is not in the favor of having at most added in the near future. Give it a decade or so and it may be there, but I still doubt it.
I personally love ATMOS and think people are missing out. One of the biggest issues, other than that most people are still using the speakers in their TVs - or are using a soundbar (not much better), are the number of ATMOS titles. Sure, there are hundreds of them now, but that counts re-releases. For 2015, there were only about 10 titles released with ATMOS...and one of them was Gravity (which was a horrible movie).

I know you can use ATMOS to upconvert on the fly - and I personally think it is worth doing that, too.

You are correct, eventually PDVD will support ATMOS and DTS:X, but most likely not for many years. It will have to become the norm in sound first and then they will support it. I say this mostly because there is no real competition in the software player realm. Who else is out there as competition? Corel's WinDVD, but that is far behind. You have some open source, but the common man on the street will never use them.

AVR makes gladly pay the price penalty due to the massive competition. If they do not have it they will die. Software makers have no need.
More than double is not enough money to offset their costs. ATMOS decoding licenses are not cheap by any stretch of the imagination.

You could save yourself a ton of money by not buying active speakers and instead buying a good AVR and good passive speakers. You do not need balanced outputs for ATMOS.

You can buy an excellent Denon or Onkyo unit for a LOT less than that. If you bought straight from the manufacturer and therefor paid the highest price possible, the 5200W will only run you £1699.

Most people still use the speakers in their TV for sound. Doubt that? Before you do, first ask yourself how many people listen to MP3s on their IPOD instead of CDs or Vinyl. Then ask yourself how lazy you think most people are and if they are actually going to run wires across the living room (or through walls) to put up even a 5.1 system. Then ask yourself how many of these people will know that reflective speakers exists so they do not have to cut holes in the ceiling (though dedicated ceiling speakers are superior - as anyone who has researched ATMOS would know).

After asking yourself those questions, you will realize that yes, most people still use the TV speakers for their sound. Of those who upgrade, most move to a sound bar that simulates surround sound and think it is wonderful.

Now you are demanding a company spend a lot of money to add a feature that almost no one will use. Decoding ATMOS is not the same providing ATMOS encoded sound - so the comparison many make to games is useless. Games have encoded sound, they require you do have something to decode ATMOS, such as an AVR. In this way they are just like movies.

Putting ATMOS in PDVD is just as silly as restoring HD-DVD to PDVD. Unless a large buyer tells Cyberlink they want it added, it will never be added.
Where is my HD-DVD support? Why won't Cyberlink make poor business choices and spent money to provide things almost no one wants simply because I say they must!?!
Alt-F4 will force close any currently active window (on a Windows PC of course). Just to show the power of it.
Quote: Does anyone from Cyberlink ever actually read these forums? Cannot believe they've still not come back to this thread! Even with a no we are not doing it, or a, yes it will come... I know a lot of people who keep asking this same question!

On the top of the main forum page, you will find this:

This is a forum for CyberLink members to discuss about our products and online services (e.g. DirectorZone, MoovieLive). CyberLink customer support will not reply in the forum regarding the technical issues.

So while they MIGHT read it, they will not reply unless they are doing moderation of forum member behavior.
It must be iMON doing it then, since it works inside MCE without anything special being done. Try disabling it and trying it without it...or check for an update to iMON.

I read on another forum that people used the MCE codes instead of the Keyboard codes for programming iMON to work with PowerDVD and it worked properly. Give it a shot.
Quote: Why do you have the Windows font set for 150%. I'm not sure how much of an issue is with this program but try the 100% setting (96dpi)

Since this was not answered, I can answer it for him. I run my desktop at 150% as well. I use my PC as an HTPC connected to a projector streaming onto a 106in screen. I sit several feet away from the screen.

With the fonts set to 100% it is impossible to use the desktop or browser for anything at all - the letters are just too small to be read at my distance from them. I have to move to within a few feet of the screen to read them. When I set the font size to 150%, I can stay in my chair and read everything just fine.

It does cause problems at times, such as when a new video driver decides to do a clean install and removed the old and then reboots - I have to guess how many times I have to press TAB to find the NEXT button.
Definitely contact support. I use Win7 MCE and the official Microsoft remote and PDVD works perfectly using the remote when launched from within MCE.
Unless you own this forum (which you do not), the forum owner (and designated representatives, such as the mods and admins) most certainly do have the right to tell you where to post and what you can post. They can bad you at will, without reason, though you certainly have given them many reasons to ban you. Instead of being offended, you should be happy they are so forgiving.

The $20 I paid for PDVD is well worth the price regardless of my desire to have PDVD mess with my video and audio. The seamless MCE integration along with technical support is what I wanted and why I purchased it. There are many valid reasons for buying PDVD, your reason being simply one of many and no more or less important than all the other reasons.

Viewing distance vs screen size is important to the topics you added to the discussion, which is why they were brought up.

I can tell you simply wish to argue and not actually learn or accomplish anything of value. You bring up unrelated items then complain about people responding to them. You make false claims and, when proven wrong, instead of learning from it you shift to a new argument.

You may rail and gnash your teeth, I am done trying to educate you. The water is there, all you need to do is drink. The choice to drink or not is your own, no one can make you do it.

End Of Line.
If an enhancement CHANGES the video (which it obviously must), then it is messing with the video and therefor is moving it out of calibration. Again, you like uncalibrated video, I do not. The check box allows both of us to have what we prefer. Learn from this, become a better person, and move on.

I will simplify the pixel size / distance information for you - to help you better understand.

The further away from a small item you get, the harder it is to see until you reach the point where you cannot see it at all. An easy example is an ant. You can see an ant while standing on the ground. If you are on the top of a 5 story building, you can no longer see the ant with your naked eys. Somewhere between the ground and the top story, you lost sight of the ant. The ant did not shrink, you simply got too far away to be able to see it amongst all the other items on the ground. The same applies to pixes on a TV. If you sit past a certain point, you cannot tell the difference between 720 and 1080. That distance is even smaller to see the difference between 1080 and 4k. Moving from 4k to 8k makes the distance very small indeed. Based on your 60 inch screen, if it was an 8k display you would have to sit within 2 feet of the screen to notice any difference between 4k and 8k. Yes, your knees would be all but touching the screen. You can find a very nifty distance calculator at the bottom of this site:

http://carltonbale.com/does-4k-resolution-matter/

You are apparently one of those people who thinks more pixels is always better. It is most certianly not, since it completey depends on your sitting distance. Using the same calculator, my sitting distances are: 14 feet for 1080, 7 feet for 4k, 3 feet for 8k. If a human is sitting anywhere further away then 7 feet, that human simply cannot see the difference between 4k and 1080. Human eyes are not powerful enough to make out such small details over such a large difference.

You might very well be sittiong within 4 feet of your TV and therefor be able to see the difference between 1080 and 4k, but I guarentee you will not ever sit within 2 feet of your TV in order to see the difference between 4k and 8k. And no, youd not have super vision and therefor can see things no other human can see.

This thread has nothing to do with other threads. YOU chose to post in this one. This one was solved and the OP is happy. You should learn from you mistake of posting in someone elses thread by creating your own. Once you have your own thread, you can freely rail against the unjustness of the world and it would be on topic. This thread is about choppiness caused by the OP having too weak a CPU to use the video enhacement features. Once turned off, he became happy and moved on with his life.

As an aside, projectors do not use monitors, they use screens. This is another new thing you learned today.

Edited for spellnig erorrs.
1. You do not understand what "tinker" means. I am easily proving that applying post processing effects messes with the video. You simply happen to like the results. This is not a bad thing, since PDVD gives you the option to mess with the video and me the option to play the video as it appears on the disc.

2. You brought it up, now you are poo-pooing it. Not an unexpected tactic, but a boring one. And yes, a 60 inch screen is VERY itty bitty compared to a 106 inch screen.

3. This thread says no such thing.

4. It IS resolved. The OP's CPU is not powerful enough to run the post processing changes to the video, so he turned it off an his problem vanished.

5. Irrelevant to the thread in which you chose to post.
Again, you are wrong. Messing with in this instance means "to tinker", but of course you knew that and "accidently" did not choose the most appropriate meaning, right?

Of course we know how the video was originally recorded AND how it was placed on the disc. The entertainment industry is not some fly by the seat of their pants industry where people just guess things and hope it is good. There are actual standards that they follow. If they do not, their movies look like crap and they are fired and those who know what they are doing are hired to replace them.

Really, you are trying too hard to pretend no one can know what the recorded video pressed to disc looks like .

You do seem to misunderstand what calibration means. This is not a surprise since you do not know that there are standards in color reproduction. You take a disc where the colors have been pressed to the ICC standard, then you display said colors. You then calibrate your display until the color you see exactly matches what the color is supposed to look like based on the standard. Whoala, you see the exact color that was pressed to the disc.

If you then turn on the enhancements, the colors will look different. If they are identical then the enhancement did nothing. Since they no longer look like the colors that are on the disc, we can safely they the video was messed with, aka tinkered with, with aka altered.

Also, how far away are you from your itty bitty 60 inch display? If you are around 4 feet away from it or further, you cannot tell the difference between 1080 and 4k - eyes simply cannot do it. There is a great chart here:

http://referencehometheater.com/2013/commentary/4k-calculator/

The human eye is amazing, but it is limited. For that small sized display, the optimal viewing distance is about 5 feet. No, not 5 feet from the TV to the couch - that would be where your knees are - your head is another 1.5 feet further back when you are seated.

I looked at the picture of the kid with a tan he does not actually have, sand that is darker than it actually is, and an artificial looking blue sky and decided I did not want that kind of messed up video. I would rather keep to what is pressed to disc, thank you very much.

All that said, of course you should get what you paid for. The OP of this thread only has an AMD A10 5700 APU and to use TrueTheater HD he needs at least an AMD Phenom II X6. His CPU simply is not powerful enough for the job. CPUBoss rates his CPU at 5.7 out of 10 and the X6 at 7.8 out of 10 (I chose the slowest X6 out there) - showing just how much weaker his CPU is than what is required. He bought software where he could not use all the features, so he turned them off and the rest works. It is his own fault, and he is fine with it. Most likely he did not bother to look up the requirements and thought he easily met them like most people do. Post processing takes a LOT of power, power he cannot provide, so the video became juddery and unwatchable.

Here is the link to the CPUBoss results: http://cpuboss.com/cpus/AMD-Phenom-II-X6-1035T-vs-AMD-A10-5700

No one can blame Cyberlink, Microsoft, AMD, Intel, etc. for the problem when the root cause is that his CPU simply is not strong enough for the task at hand.

Since Cyberlink provides a free trial copy of their software, all this could have been tested in advance and discovered before hand. The OP did not do that - most people do not, so you really cannot say he was stupid or anything.

He is happy with turning off features his computer is not powerful enough to run. Why are you so bent out of shape about it?
Thinking more about it, maybe you just have a crappy display device. Try using it on a high level Panasonic projector onto a 106 inch screen and then let me know if you like the altered colors and such better or not.
So you are still saying that having the software purposefully changing the video and audio is not having the software messing around with the video and audio.

Ummm..quite wrong. That is akin to saying having someone dump a bucket of water on you is not having someone make you wet with a bucket of water.

You may not LIKE saying you are wet, but you certainly are when the water hits you. You may not LIKE saying the software messes with the video and audio when the boxes are checked, but it does.

You simply happen to like the way it messes with the video and audio. Congratulations, happy for you. Yet just because you like the software messing with it does not mean everyone else has to - that is the height of hubris, saying everyone has to like what you like or they are wrong.

Sorry to disappoint, but your liking the software messing with the video and audio is not going to magically make me like it too, nor is it going to magically make it the reason I bought the software. It will do neither, showing that your opinion is only useful for yourself - bursting of your ego, to be sure, but reality often does that.

My display device is calibrated for PDVD software. I want the colors to match what they are supposed to be, not altered...if they are altered then my display is no longer calibrated. Not a hard concept to grasp. PDVD looks beautiful and stunning without having it mess with the video. Your opinion that you personally like the changes better have nothing to do with my personal view that I like the calibrated colors better.

Now audio - I mess with that. I like raising the sound in the surrounds to give them more punch. I do it manually in the AVR rather than let the software decide for me what it thinks I like.
If it changes the colors and such from the original ones found on the disc, it is messing with them. You may like the way it messes with them, but it does not change the fact that it actual does mess with them.

If it keeps them exactly as they are on the disc then it is not doing anything at all, which it obviously does.

The beauty of there being a check box to enable and disable the feature is that those who like having PDVD mess with their colors (and many do) can let it do it. Those who do not (and many do not) can allow what is on the disc to be seen as is.

I turn off the enhancements in my video driver as well.

I paid for the full implementation into W7 WMC and full support by AnyDVD HD. I did not buy PDVD for its ability to mess with the video and audio.
Go to: