Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDVD 15 Pro Blu-ray Issues (massive stuttering)
djelibeybi1 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 18, 2015 10:47 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
My copy of PowerDVD 15 Pro struggles to play Blu-rays. I have so far only discovered one that it has played succesfully.

There is lots of pixelation, covering most of the screen and also extreme stuttering of the sound that makes them quite unwatchable.

As that was the reason I purchased the program in the first place, and I am a film reviewer by trade I would like to try and sort it out if possible.

I am currently running Windows 10 although it didn't work before that when I was running Windows 8.1 either, I partially chose PowerDVD 15 Pro because it said it was Windows 10 ready.

My Processor is AMD A10-5700 APU with Radeon HD Graphics 3.40 Ghz

My Blu-ray player is a Qubz external player which has been tested and works fine with other systems, I have tried a different Blu-ray external player, the result is exactly the same. All the Blu-rays in question play perfectly well on all other systems they have been tried on

My monitor is an LG 24M45HQ and I am running AVG Free

Any suggestions would be most welcome

Thanks in advance.
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, Sorry to hear about your issues.

Are you watching the video in the Classic Mode or the Cinema Mode? I just tried playing an older blu ray with Windows 10 (first attempt) and did not have any issues in either of the two modes. I have a different computer set up than you have so ... ( i7, GT760) Did you look to see if there are new drivers for W10?

Some people who complain about stuttering have the enhancements active. When they turn them off, the blu ray play properly. Try that first. On my coputter I was unable to activate video enhancements - perhapos it is for non blu ray only).

If you give me more information, I can try to set up the playback set as you have to see if I can reproduce your problem.

Thanks

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Aug 18. 2015 13:17

BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
djelibeybi1 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 18, 2015 10:47 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Thankyou for your response,

I have disabled the enhancements and uploaded the new drivers as you suggested and it seems to have done the trick.
Happy Days!

Thanks again
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Great ! .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
ernaniaroldo [Avatar]
Member Location: US Joined: Nov 08, 2009 14:40 Messages: 54 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Thankyou for your response,

I have disabled the enhancements and uploaded the new drivers as you suggested and it seems to have done the trick.
Happy Days!

Thanks again

By disabling the enhancements you disable the True Theater HD technolology which is the main reason that makes PowerDVD 15 superior to any other existing player free or not! In fact that's basically what what you've paid for!!!

I'm not sure I understood the other part of your reply "uploaded the new drivers" as there are no new drivers yet unless you've rolled back to the previous AMD driver pack version and to Windows 8.1 as well or perhaps to PowerDVD 14. There's no other than the initial driver pack version for Windows 10 available by AMD yet!

As you may understand an update for PowerDVD 15 in collaboration with AMD is more than necessary and urgent as the video quality provided with the True Theater Enhancements disabled doesn't justify it's price at all!!!!

Please read the threads by other users complaining about the same issue in this section of the forum and I invite you to the social media where we can report it and make this update (patch) appear the soonest possible!!!!

Feel free contact to me any time!!! No
stevek
[Post New]
ernanairoldo:

How do you argue with success? As I said, I was unable to activate True Theater video enhancements on my W10 computer with NVidia video card. The original poster indicated that he is now able to view his videos without stuttering.

Perhaps you should be complaining to AMD about their card and drivers?

What enhancements do you need? Are you using a monitor, projector or TV. I am using a 2K - 28 inch monitor and the picture is perfect.

Perhaps another, more costly computer program would be the right solution for you? wink

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 21. 2015 08:10

ernaniaroldo [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: ernanairoldo:

How do you argue with success? As I said, I was unable to activate True Theater video enhancements on my W10 computer with NVidia video card. The original poster indicated that he is now able to view his videos without stuttering.

Perhaps you should be complaining to AMD about their card and drivers?

What enhancements do you need? Are you using a monitor, projector or TV. I am using a 2K - 28 inch monitor and the picture is perfect.

Perhaps another, more costly computer program would be the right solution for you? wink

First I've made it more than clear that my reply wasn't addressed to you or any other of the usual suspects dedicated to "help" in this forum and most likely work for Cyberlink!!!!

The original poster as the others who have posted or participated to similar threads faces the same issue as everybody who has upgraded to Windows 10 with the initial and only available AMD driver pack version!!! The title he has given to this thread indicates this very clearly!!!

No, I won't let you derail this thread's subject as some collegues of yours have tried already elswhere. Neither the monitor you're using or anything else have anything to do with the initial issue desribed here by the original poster!

Those who purchased PowerDVD 15 demand it's most important and highly advertised feature which is True Theater HD technology to work without "massive stuttering"!!! I repeat that when a new OS or a driver update is coming out, it's a software's rensponsibility to update and get adapted accordingly, regardless if it's staff has to collaborate with AMD or Microsoft staff! It's PowerDVD 15 not working as it should and it has no limitation in it's system requirements for those having AMD graphic cards!

Finally PowereDVD 15 is coslty enough to provide at least what is advertised for when other free software do!

Therefore give us a break sir and go find someone else to argue with nonsense!!! No
stevek
[Post New]
I do not work for Cyberlink nor any other associated industry. I doubt that few other do also. I hope they deluge you with their relationship with Cyberlink.

Why are you so adamant about the issue being related to Cyberlink and not AMD? You have posted 35 times and I have yet to find any posts that have been other than complaints.

The original poster had an issue with stuttering and pausing. That has BEEN SOLVED for him.. Perhaps you missed that basic issue and the solution. The post and discussion is the important part and not the title. The OP has an AMD processor but NVidia Video card.

I asked what you were looking for in True Theater enhancements. You did not respond. Please do so or get off the pot!

Perhap it is time to contact Cyberlink and get a solution DIRECTLY from them or to get a refund !

Best wishes ! Your profie says you are from the US but your attitude says differently.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Aug 21. 2015 11:13

ernaniaroldo [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: I do not work for Cyberlink nor any other associated industry. I doubt that few other do also. I hope they deluge you with their relationship with Cyberlink.

Why are you so adamant about the issue being related to Cyberlink and not AMD? You have posted 35 times and I have yet to find any posts that have been other than complaints.

The original poster had an issue with stuttering and pausing. That has BEEN SOLVED for him.. Perhaps you missed that basic issue and the solution. The post and discussion is the important part and not the title.

I asked what you were looking for in True Theater enhancements. You did not respond. Please do so or get off the pot!

Perhap it is time to contact Cyberlink and get a solution DIRECTLY from them or to get a refund !

Best wishes ! Your profie says you are from the US but your attitude says differently.

I've first posted several days ago to make this issue known then I've participated to other posts facing the same issue and I keep on working on the social media together with all those who feel cheated by this PowerDVD issue! Whether I ask for a refund or not is none of your business!!!!

I repeat in case PowerDVD 15 had any issue with AMD graphic cards it should be indicated in the system requirements. The fact that it's most important feature (True Theater HD) doesn't work with AMD graphic cards makes it look like scam!!!!

I've read both the poster's issue description and the nonsense of your reply and I wanted to make clear to him what he is missing by disabling True Theater Enhancements! I'm looking for exactly what this feature used to provide before the latest AMD driver update. Nothing more or less!!! If you're trying to imply that I could get those enhancements using other sort tweaks, you're deeply mistaken at least according to Cyberlink support representatives!

My attitude is same as everybody's who like to bring PowerDVD 15 back to it's former status! It's up to you to believe whether I come from US or not as judging from you avatar photo you look like a Jihadist!!!! (lol)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 21. 2015 12:22

No
stevek
[Post New]
-30-
Look it up. .
Britton [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 11, 2016 19:59 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Stuttering (or very low frame rate) issue with Windows 10 is a common issue, particularly with AMD graphics cards. It occurs in games (e.g. Elite Dangerous) as well. Seems to occur with the more up to date drivers offered by AMD. I reverted back to version 14.12 - the result is that Power DVD 15 works fine with enhancements ON (games work too). Issue is not with Cyberlink in this case - it is between Microsoft and AMD. I would love to find a solution to work with up to date drivers if anyone has found one! Possibly to do with Directx 12?
ernaniaroldo [Avatar]
[Post New]
@ Britton

Both AMD and Microsoft have updated their drivers several times since the initial Windows 10 versions. Hence it's exclusively those particular software issue that insist not being updated accordingly. PowerDVD 15 and some games you've mentioned are among them. Every updated player since then does not stutter at all!!! Hopefully in PowerDVD 16 the issue will be resolved. Till then version 15 will remain NOT COMPATIBLE WITH WINDOWS 10 REGARDLESS IF IT'S ADVERTISED AS COMPATIBLE!!!!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 11. 2016 23:31

No
supahz [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 18, 2016 19:01 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Was having issues, and was trying to figure out why PowerDVD + AMD + Win10 has a stutter problem, but Macgo + AMD + Win10 doesn't. I would have to guess that the PowerDVD software might be the issue in regards to how it handles interfacing with AMD.

In any case, after several reboots and a ton of grief, it finally started working fine. Unchecking the hardware acceleration box, closing the program, rebooting, and rechecking the box seems to have helped align all the stars, for whatever reason.

Happy camper now... had been about to ask for a refund.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 18. 2016 19:36

ernaniaroldo [Avatar]
[Post New]

@ supahz

You mean unchecking the video enhancements box(es) which is what you've actually paid for making the difference between other players! No
[Post New]
I personally do not want my playback software purposefully messing around with the colors and such of my perfectly fine BluRay disc. You do know you can always change your TV to torch mode if you want super vibrant (but completely unrealistic) colors.

I personally have my display calibrated to it shows the proper colors.
ernaniaroldo [Avatar]
[Post New]
@ CybrSage

Obviously you have no idea what True Theater Technology is all about because if you had you wouldn't talk about "messing around with colors" and "completely unrealistic colors"

Please try ripping those "perfectly fine Blu-ray discs" of yours to a hard drive and play the extracted BDMV files with PDVD 15. This way you don't need to uncheck (diselect) video enhancements as they work perfectly fine. I can assure you'll come back here astonished and you'll understand why True Theater Technology is advertised as much and how PDVD 15 Ultra justifies it's price. The result could only be compared to 4K!!!

Unfortunately since Win 10 and AMD update these enhancements do not work with BD ISO files as they cause massive stuttering and need to be diselected. Comparing to what you used to get before the result is pure disappointment!!!

Considering that I've got more than 20 TB of Blu-ray discs ripped as BD ISO, I need to convert every single disc image to BDMV in order to enjoy the breathtaking True Theater Technology!

And that's really a pain...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 25. 2016 12:48

No
[Post New]
If it changes the colors and such from the original ones found on the disc, it is messing with them. You may like the way it messes with them, but it does not change the fact that it actual does mess with them.

If it keeps them exactly as they are on the disc then it is not doing anything at all, which it obviously does.

The beauty of there being a check box to enable and disable the feature is that those who like having PDVD mess with their colors (and many do) can let it do it. Those who do not (and many do not) can allow what is on the disc to be seen as is.

I turn off the enhancements in my video driver as well.

I paid for the full implementation into W7 WMC and full support by AnyDVD HD. I did not buy PDVD for its ability to mess with the video and audio.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jan 25. 2016 13:27

ernaniaroldo [Avatar]
[Post New]

@ CybrSage

Let me inform you that there is a huuuuge difference from one player to another on how they read video files!!!

That's the reason you can't say "exactly as they are on the disc" because every player depending on it's features is producing them differently! That's also the reason the prices vary between each player, in fact you can find plenty of free or costly players. External payers (devices) also vary regarding the video quality!

In PDVD 15 before the afore-mentioned issue the video enhancement boxes were checked and adjusted by default and you need to do no messing yourself. Just leave them as found them.

To conclude it's simply hilarious denying something you haven't yet tried, therefore you have no idea about!

Please try what I told you above in order to get some serious opinion! No
[Post New]
So you are still saying that having the software purposefully changing the video and audio is not having the software messing around with the video and audio.

Ummm..quite wrong. That is akin to saying having someone dump a bucket of water on you is not having someone make you wet with a bucket of water.

You may not LIKE saying you are wet, but you certainly are when the water hits you. You may not LIKE saying the software messes with the video and audio when the boxes are checked, but it does.

You simply happen to like the way it messes with the video and audio. Congratulations, happy for you. Yet just because you like the software messing with it does not mean everyone else has to - that is the height of hubris, saying everyone has to like what you like or they are wrong.

Sorry to disappoint, but your liking the software messing with the video and audio is not going to magically make me like it too, nor is it going to magically make it the reason I bought the software. It will do neither, showing that your opinion is only useful for yourself - bursting of your ego, to be sure, but reality often does that.

My display device is calibrated for PDVD software. I want the colors to match what they are supposed to be, not altered...if they are altered then my display is no longer calibrated. Not a hard concept to grasp. PDVD looks beautiful and stunning without having it mess with the video. Your opinion that you personally like the changes better have nothing to do with my personal view that I like the calibrated colors better.

Now audio - I mess with that. I like raising the sound in the surrounds to give them more punch. I do it manually in the AVR rather than let the software decide for me what it thinks I like.
[Post New]
Thinking more about it, maybe you just have a crappy display device. Try using it on a high level Panasonic projector onto a 106 inch screen and then let me know if you like the altered colors and such better or not.