Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
No Atmos / DTSX decoding to analogue in PowerDVD 16
Billy7 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Sep 27, 2014 17:49 Messages: 93 Offline
[Post New]
Pffffff you know how the story goes.....

same as last version....and the version before......

Give your customers what they want cyberlink, Dolby atmos and DTSX decoding to analogue!

Can you at least give us your reasoning behind not supporting it so we don't have to have these ridiculous threads every year!

What a disappointment! Haswell 4770k watercooled @4.6 ghz. 16GB RAM,
Nvidia 980TI GTX, Marantz AV7702mk2, Apogee Duet, 3x Adam A77X, 4x Mackie MR5's, 4X Mackie CR4
Panasonic PT-AT6000e projector, 120" fixed projector screen, Panasonic ST30 50" TV.
[Post New]
Apparently, there's not enough of your kind to justify the very expensive Atmos software decoder. Most of us have modern receivers and we do Atmos via Bit streaming.

Maybe you should step into this century. Hell, who knows, you may even like it.

This is a business, they won't make the purchase of an expensive license just for half a dozen people still using analog setups. My collection: http://www.blu-ray.com/community/collection.php?u=194008&action=showcategory&category=1&categoryid=7
Billy7 [Avatar]
[Post New]
How much is this very expensive atmos decoder?
How many are there that want atmos decoding to analogue?
Ahh you don't know.
Your entire argument is based on assumption and justifying your own purchase as per usual.

The last thread got over 10000 views. I guess none of them wanted atmos decoding eh?

What if they don't support 4K bluray because not enough of 'there kind'

If they thought about that with all the features cyberlink have implemented before they would have a product and definitely wouldn't be filling a niche!

Haswell 4770k watercooled @4.6 ghz. 16GB RAM,
Nvidia 980TI GTX, Marantz AV7702mk2, Apogee Duet, 3x Adam A77X, 4x Mackie MR5's, 4X Mackie CR4
Panasonic PT-AT6000e projector, 120" fixed projector screen, Panasonic ST30 50" TV.
[Post New]
4K is future.
Analog is past.
Adapt or... well, be forced to adapt. My collection: http://www.blu-ray.com/community/collection.php?u=194008&action=showcategory&category=1&categoryid=7
Billy7 [Avatar]
[Post New]
It has to get converted to analogue at some point Korrigan.

Using your same logic I suppose we'll have to buy standalone 4K ultra bluray players to be able to get cyberlink to 'play' 4K Blurays?

You've obviously not thought this one through.

Your argument should be that there is no point in powerdvd as you can buy a Blu-Ray players and AV receivers.

So basically no point in buying powerdvd.
Cyberlink need to drop these annual greedy updates as they bring nothing to the table.

Bring a new version out when you have something new to put in it, not just because it's 'that time of year again'

[Post New]
Your logic is nonsensical.

4K is an open standard.

Atmos requires a specific codec to decode, and of course, Dolby is licensing it for a lot of money. That's also why Atmos receivers are that expensive. Cyberlink just weighted the pros and cons and decided it wasn't worth the hassle and that it wouldn't bring enough income to recover the licensing costs. Fact is, most people use bitstreaming to a receiver, and that's the market they are aiming for.

And from what I know, there's no other "legit" software decoding Atmos to analog. So it's not just PowerDVD.

Up to you to stop buying if you aren't satisfied anymore, that will send a way stronger message then spamming each now release forum with your specific individual needs.

Vote with your wallet. My collection: http://www.blu-ray.com/community/collection.php?u=194008&action=showcategory&category=1&categoryid=7
nullack [Avatar]
Member Joined: Dec 29, 2010 04:09 Messages: 139 Offline
[Post New]
4K is not an open standard. HEVC is heavily encumbered by a patent pool.

Mayve VP9 and WebM will come to dominate, but in UHD 4K blurays it is HEVC MAIN 10 all the way for that format atleast

Billy I do admire sir your tenacity with Cyberlink on this

Mate maybe it will come when they do UHD 4K bluray support.
[Post New]
Quote: 4K is not an open standard. HEVC is heavily encumbered by a patent pool.

Mayve VP9 and WebM will come to dominate, but in UHD 4K blurays it is HEVC MAIN 10 all the way for that format atleast

Billy I do admire sir your tenacity with Cyberlink on this

Mate maybe it will come when they do UHD 4K bluray support.
Granted, I didn't use the proper words, forgive my non-English primary language.

4K is a standard used my more and more displays. Analog is a dying thing of the past, a vast majority uses a receiver to decode bitstreams, not some PC soundcard. That's why Cyberlink has little intensive in adding software atmos decoding to PDVD, specially since it would also mean having to detect secure audio paths for the very specific hardware it involves. My collection: http://www.blu-ray.com/community/collection.php?u=194008&action=showcategory&category=1&categoryid=7
nullack [Avatar]
[Post New]
Its all good mate

The issue is, that any digital audio must at the end of the day be decoded down into a AC signal. Do you know what happens when you send a DC signal to amplifiers and speakers? They really don't like it and will often be destroyed

For you to make sound and not blowup your expensive hifi, it needs to be converted into analogue.

People have different ways of doing this and while Billy is doing a more rare method of doing it, he still is pointing to a problem that is meaningful to him and hes quite correct in the facts of what he is saying.
Billy7 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Any updates on this yet?
If we're not getting 4K UHD support any time soon at least give us the latest audio decoding standards to tie us over eh? Haswell 4770k watercooled @4.6 ghz. 16GB RAM,
nullack [Avatar]
[Post New]
Billy I would not expect Cyberlink to add new features in maintenance cycles of PDVD 16. At best, it might come with PDVD17 but who knows, like how you were disappointed when 15 didn't have it, and 16 did not have it either.
Billy7 [Avatar]
[Post New]
.....meanwhile, back at the camp......
[Post New]
No surprise that Atmos is not in version 16. It won't be in version 17 either. The easy way to get a Atmos is to buy an AVR with Atmos decoding built-in. All the modern ones have it. You can have what you want right now, digital to analog decoding of Atmos, if you just do tha.

The cost to benefit ratio is not in the favor of having at most added in the near future. Give it a decade or so and it may be there, but I still doubt it.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 03. 2016 08:29

TranLe [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 24, 2009 00:13 Messages: 26 Offline
[Post New]
Ideally everybody want PowerDVD to be able to do what a Trinnov Altitude: http://www.trinnov.com/products/home-theater/altitude32/specs-altitude32/product-details
etc6849 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 04, 2014 23:10 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Exactly. So many posts here and only a few get it. Sadly, we can't buy a 20 to 32 channel processor for less than five figures (people here that keep saying to buy an AVR come off as being very miss informed)!

I'd pay $500+ in a heartbeat if there was an Atmos/DTS-X/Aura 3d software solution as I could do a custom dirac calibration too with my PC and have an ultimate system competing with processors costing well over $20k, and it'd be upgradable too.

Plenty of decent looking AES/EBU pci-e soundcards that do 32 digital channels out (and appear as a single soundcard so in theory dirac and even powerdvd could use them), and then I could add a few nicer speaker processors (Xilica XD4080) that take AES inputs and drive 32 amp channels.

If you want an AVR that sounds shoddy and has limited processing power, that is your choice. However, there is some nice pro gear such as the Xilica stuff that does 40 bit processing and has ultra low noise floors (much lower than Denon and Marantz, etc...).

Also, to others saying there is no software that can do this are wrong. The Trinnov Altitude 32 is a PC and doesn't rely on DSP chips.