Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
stuttering with powerdvd 15
lennox [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 04, 2015 22:14 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
the movies i watch stutters with powerdvd 15. i had the same problem with powerdvd 14. how can i solve this ? i have my computer on my tv. i tried to seth the hz to 23/24 but the stutter continues. anyone ideas ?

i7 3770k-16gb ram-gtx 780ti
lennox [Avatar]
[Post New]
can no one tell me why i get stuttering per 10 seconds with watching movies ? i set my tv to 24hz but it dont work
[Post New]
When you have trouble playing the audio, video, and DVDs skipping or stuttering during playback, check below methods, see if they can help.

Disable the screen saver.
Verify that the desktop resolution is set to 5.
Verify that the color depth is set to 16-bit.
Note: If the resolution and color depth are not set properly, change them to different temporary settings, and then return them to an appropriate resolution and color depth.
Set hardware acceleration to full.
Uninstall the CyberLink PowerDVD software from Add or Remove Programs.
Reinstall the CyberLink PowerDVD software.
lennox [Avatar]
[Post New]
its not work, other solutions ? i had the same issue with powerdvd 14.
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: its not work, other solutions ? i had the same issue with powerdvd 14.

Please provide your dxdiag tetx file on your computer. )Perhapos we can see somethign there. Your CPU should not have an issue with the program some somethign else might. The text file will also have potential issues listed at the end of the file.

to create the DXDIAG: Start => In the Search/Program field type "DXDIAG" and press the [Enter] save to File and upload the file as attachement (Thanks Michael).

Are you sure that your antivirus is off or at least set to not scan from the program (if possible). If you turn it off, you may want to disconnect from the Internet during playback.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 06. 2015 10:12

BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
lennox [Avatar]
[Post New]
this is the file. i tried everything. it dont work. what a crap problem ! i love powerdvd but this is sow bad !!

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jul 06. 2015 14:59

stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
I see a lot of fault bucket error near the end of the text file. Unfortuately I can't read them. It look like some of them are related to Windows Update Problems. I'm afraid that you may have to google for possible fixes.

Did you try running the program with your antivirus turned off?

Did the program run before you updated the GPU (graphics) driver. You may want to try an older one.

Why do you have the Windows font set for 150%. I'm not sure how much of an issue is with this program but try the 100% setting (96dpi)

Sorry that I cannot be of more help; perhaps someone else has a better idea.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 06. 2015 13:36

BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
d_mat [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 21, 2015 19:45 Messages: 31 Offline
[Post New]
I had the same problem.

Everything worked fine. Then I updated the AMD SATA Controller and AMD SMBus drivers and PowerDVD started to stutter.

After I reverted back to the previous drivers, everything worked perfectly.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 06. 2015 13:39

lennox [Avatar]
[Post New]
nothing helps. thanks for the help. i delete this sh*tty powerdvd program.
Manoroid [Avatar]
Member Joined: Apr 10, 2010 23:07 Messages: 143 Offline
[Post New]
Use plex absoutley no stuttering. Plays blurays with perfect 23hz.

Then go back to powerdvd if they fix it. I dont like saying crap about cyberlink outloud. But ive had every version for the past 5 years. Never been able to watch my movies smoothly. Invested way too much time and money.

All my blurays ans dvds are isos and they are read fine in Plex. It plays all the major audio standards for bluray

Soneone let me know if they fix one day. I will gladly come back
Anthony1111 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 01, 2015 15:12 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
I had severe stuttering on PowerDVD 15 Ultra when I upgraded my graphics driver.

Turn off TrueTheater video enhancements. Make sure you enable hardware acceleration. I did that now PowerDVD plays Blu-Rays as smooth as ever. And looks awesome. Best regards,
Anthony.
Micke00 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 27, 2011 17:13 Messages: 18 Offline
[Post New]
I'm getting pretty bad stuttering when playing BD (RADEON HD 6670) until I (while the movie is running) quickly just Alt+Tab to the desktop and then back - voila - no stuttering anymore. Had the same issue with PowerDVD 13 I think (other gfx driver version back then).
blasiusxx [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Mar 12, 2011 09:44 Messages: 330 Offline
[Post New]
have the same trouble with powerdvd 14+15 with final patches. TS Streams in 1280*720 50p of TV Recording are stuttering. My other all clips like mpg or mts would run smooth. But only when TruTheater is turned off. All other Players like Windows Media Player or MPC HC plays all my Streams very well.

This Issues are visible on two different systems (Asus Transformer Book T100, Windows 8.1 64Bit PC) with different graphics.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 18. 2015 15:23

flyboyG550 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 23, 2008 19:54 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
I've been battling this same problem for quite a while. I try some "fix" and it "seems" to work, but then . . . no . . . I still get a slight "stutter" when watching most video files (i.e. mp4, mkv, mpg, etc.). Blu-rays and DVDs play 100% perfect.

It's not the encoding of the above video files that's the issue, as they all play 100% smoothly on other players I have---like jRiver Media Center 21, Zoom Player Max, VLC.

I also should state that I purchased 3 PowerDVD 15 Ultras---2 desktops and a laptop (all running different OSes, vid cards and from different computer manufacturers). So it's very very unlikely it's an OS or comp manufac. issue.

I've tried every "fix/suggestion" I can find---NOTHING has yet made a difference.

Things I have done:

--uninstalled [using an agressive unistaller porgam to remove every bit of Powerdvd 15 ultra]

--re-installed the basic build of the program, then incrementally installed each update---and testing a video at each point

--rolled back my graphics drivers (I have a GeForce GTX980 card on the desktop I was doing all this with)

--turned on/off a vareity of features within power dvd [like the video enhancements, hardware acceleration, etc]--and tested each change

--swapped out the HDMI cable from the comp to the monitor to a DV-D cable [a cyberlink tech INSISTED that the hdmi cable was the problem (????) and of course that made no difference either]

--turned on/off a variety of features within the graphics card control panel--and tested each change.

NONE of the above things I tired corrected the stutter problem.

My only recourse has been not using my expensive Power DVD 15 Ultra I paid for; but to use the other software I mentioned above---2 of which I paid for as well (jRiver Media Center 21, Zoom Player Max)---and the free VLC player.

All of these are excellent, but so far, none beat the picture quality of powerdvd--jriver and zoom come very close (about 95% close).

Does anyone have a fix that worked for them? I am utterly open to just about any idea/suggestion/etc.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jan 27. 2016 16:52

Micke00 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 27, 2011 17:13 Messages: 18 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I've been battling this same problem for quite a while. I try some "fix" and it "seems" to work, but then . . . no . . . I still get a slight "stutter" when watching most video files (i.e. mp4, mkv, mpg, etc.). Blu-rays and DVDs play 100% perfect.

It's not the encoding of the above video files that's the issue, as they all play 100% smoothly on other players I have---like jRiver Media Center 21, Zoom Player Max, VLC.

I also should state that I purchased 3 PowerDVD 15 Ultras---2 desktops and a laptop (all running different OSes, vid cards and from different computer manufacturers). So it's very very unlikely it's an OS or comp manufac. issue.

I've tried every "fix/suggestion" I can find---NOTHING has yet made a difference.

Things I have done:

--uninstalled [using an agressive unistaller porgam to remove every bit of Powerdvd 15 ultra]

--re-installed the basic build of the program, then incrementally installed each update---and testing a video at each point

--rolled back my graphics drivers (I have a GeForce GTX980 card on the desktop I was doing all this with)

--turned on/off a vareity of features within power dvd [like the video enhancements, hardware acceleration, etc]--and tested each change

--swapped out the HDMI cable from the comp to the monitor to a DV-D cable [a cyberlink tech INSISTED that the hdmi cable was the problem (????) and of course that made no difference either]

--turned on/off a variety of features within the graphics card control panel--and tested each change.

NONE of the above things I tired corrected the stutter problem.

My only recourse has been not using my expensive Power DVD 15 Ultra I paid for; but to use the other software I mentioned above---2 of which I paid for as well (jRiver Media Center 21, Zoom Player Max)---and the free VLC player.

All of these are excellent, but so far, none beat the picture quality of powerdvd--jriver and zoom come very close (about 95% close).

Does anyone have a fix that worked for them? I am utterly open to just about any idea/suggestion/etc.

Have you tried Alt + Tab to the desktop (properly, not just seeing the desktop, you have to switch to it) and then back to PDVD while the movie is running? Works for me.
blasiusxx [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Mar 12, 2011 09:44 Messages: 330 Offline
[Post New]
I give all up. Nothing worked. The Stutter Issues are in PowerDVD14,too.

Now i use MPC HC and all runs smooth. Finally, I didn't buy newer Power DVD Versions anymore, because Cyberlink ignore this Issue since a long time.
flyboyG550 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Micke00 and blasiusxx,

Thank you for your replies and suggestions.

@Micke00 -- laughing good suggestion on the "alt + tab", but that's more of a Windows remedy (a selecting of the top-level [or active window]/"resetting of what Windows thinks is the "top-level"/active window when multiple windows/tasks are open on the desktop/residing in the system tray). I tried it, because as I said in my op, I am open to any and all ideas/suggestions/possible fixes. But, alas, it didn't work.

For me, my problem in using PowerDVD 15 Ultra is a subtle-yet-noticeable-and very annoying-stutter every 6-8 seconds while watching video files. Not a significant stutter/jitter that a hung/or conflicting "top-level" window issue can cause. And as I mentioned in my op, Blu-rays and DVDs play 100% perfectly and quite beautifully.

@blasiusxx -- I sense a great deal of frustration from you and PowerDVD--and I absolutely empathize with that! wink I'm currently feeling that way as well.

I'm familiar with MPC-HC and it plays media quite well. Great suggestion as an alternative. Very similiar to VLC, Zoom Player (the free version), SMplayer et al.

Oddly enough, our daughter is using my wife's old laptop (a 2yr old HP) and it has PowerDVD 14 Ultra on it, and it doesn't have this problem whatsoever. My daughter routinely watches Blu-rays, DVDs and all sorts of video files (H.264 mp4, mkv, mpgs, avi etc.) without any stuttering/jittering etc.

I'm hopeful (naive, perhaps?? wink) that this issue can be solved for every one . . .

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Jan 28. 2016 10:16

flyboyG550 [Avatar]
[Post New]
My problem has been solved!

Although the "fix" eludes logic . . . at least to me. undecided

The story:

My wife recently purchased a new digital camera [a fairly high-end model], used it and then went to transfer some images directly from it to one of our desktops. [Windows 8.1 desktop, running the current version of PowerDVD 15 Ultra].

After she had finished using the desktop, I had run Windows Update (manually, see my comment below) and among the few updates listed was this: Microsoft Camera Codec Pack for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems [for those interested it was this update: (KB2899189)]. Said camera codec pack installed with no issues.

NOTE: Since my last post regarding this issue, this desktop has had NO other updates/changes/modifications to it (I never allow any "automatic" updates and/or "automatic installs" of any kind on our windows machines. So I am certain nothing else has changed.

I opened up PowerDVD a few minutes after the update completed, as I had another idea for trying to "fix" the suttering video issue (i had already planned to do this before the camera codec update). I opened up a vid file that I knew 100% stuttered in PowerDVD, but not when using any other software . . .

. . . lo and behold, NO stuttering! No issues of any sort. Beautiful video and smooth playback. I randomly tried 12 other videos of various formats (all of which I had tried previously, and all had stuttered) . . . ALL worked perfectly.

Why this worked, I do not know. The codecs installed by KB2899189 didn't seem special, or "wow, I can't believe I never installed that codec!" type of thing.

As I said previously, this machine has had no other changes/updates etc---only my wife and I use this desktop [it's in our master bedroom]---so I can only "assume" that this random camera codec pack inadvertently fixed my issue.

Comments?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 03. 2016 13:42

[Post New]
Quote: Why do you have the Windows font set for 150%. I'm not sure how much of an issue is with this program but try the 100% setting (96dpi)

Since this was not answered, I can answer it for him. I run my desktop at 150% as well. I use my PC as an HTPC connected to a projector streaming onto a 106in screen. I sit several feet away from the screen.

With the fonts set to 100% it is impossible to use the desktop or browser for anything at all - the letters are just too small to be read at my distance from them. I have to move to within a few feet of the screen to read them. When I set the font size to 150%, I can stay in my chair and read everything just fine.

It does cause problems at times, such as when a new video driver decides to do a clean install and removed the old and then reboots - I have to guess how many times I have to press TAB to find the NEXT button.
aquar72 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 03, 2016 06:49 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I have had this problem especially when playing from my bluray drive for years. I tried every solution at this forum and none helped. A few days ago I tried to watch a movie in my bluray drive again. Same annyoing stuttering. I said to myself, I'm going to watch the movie anyways. Well, I had to get up and do something, so I pused pause. I was gone for five minutes. When I pushed "play," the stuttering for the first time in YEARS was gone. I tried it again and again with other movies. If I wait about five minutes with the movie paused, the stuttering goes away.

I have the GeForce 960 video card. i7-6700K, 4GHz processor. 16 GB of RAM. Gigabyte Gaming 3 motherboard that was made specifically for the i7-6700K, 4 GHz processor. 64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate version.

If you try this fix, please share your results.