Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Ajay

Daft question, but are you shure that you selected smart fit? That compression looks more like LP.

Tom
Billy

Assuming you mean protected by DRM (Digital Rights Management). I think you will find that the answer is you can’t capture them, as that would infringe copyright.

Tom

Jim

Obviously the higher the compression the lower the quality. Smart fit fills the disc space available, so is best if only a little over.

You can see the difference by selecting each quality setting, and click on ok. See the effect on the bar. This does not commit you to anything, as you simply reselect and change again.

Tom

Jim

At the bottom of the create disc screen, is a bar indicating the size of the project against the disc space available. If it is too large to fit the disc look towards the right of the bar where there is a spanner symbol.

Click on this and in the window that opens; under the disc format tab you will see video quality. In the drop down menu you can select between LP, SP, HQ or smart fit.

Does this help/

Tom

I sympathise with a lot of the comments about PD7. In an earlier post I described it as 3 steps forward and 2 back, when compared with PD6.

My biggest criticism is still with the menu screen and its sub screens. If you could run both PD7 and PD6 on the same computer I would be tempted to produce a project in PD7 then loading it into PD6 to produce the chapters and menu.

I do like PD, basically but just hope that Cyberlink will revert back to PD6 for the menu creation.

Tom

Hi Ken

I'm no expert with PD7, but pleased if I can help a little. Interesting that you had the problem when converting from tape, like myself. I have not experienced any problems merging two VOB files from any other source.

I will search for the file that you mention, it may help in the future.

Tom
Ken

I know exactly what you mean about a “glitch” between VOB1 and VOB2. I had the same problem when transferring some old video tape to DVD. It would appear that a VOB file is restricted to 1Gb, then another VOB file starts.

I solved the problem by recording about 45 minutes of tape (or however long to give just under 1Gb), then winding the tape back a little, and starting to record again. This means that the start of VOB2 is the same as the end of VOB1. In PD7 I then edited the break between the two VOB files at a convenient point (in your case say between songs). On playing the DVD the “glitch” has gone.

I have to say that I used a recordable DVD to record from the video tape, then transfered the VOB files to my PC. Hope this idea is some help.

Tom

Stuart

As far as I am aware the answer is no. You would have to manually change the chapter names.
Roger

I often make a trial burn to a dvd-rw. 4.7Gb takes about 40 mins, but time obviously will depend on the complexity of the editing, size of file, speed of processor and write speed of disc etc.

If you are only trying to sort out menu, use very short clips, which will reduce the burn time.

There have been numerous posts on the menu issue try a search.

Tom
Quote: G'day Tom,

I've had a read through of your solution but it sounds like you've solved a different problem than mine - but I'll need to try it out tonight when I have some time at home.

I'll let you know how I go.

Robert,

I ended up creating a menu from scratch too, but the problem was I really liked the animated template I was trying to use and ended up using a boring static photo instead.

Spartan

I think that when you select a menu template then change the background you seem to retain some of the characteristics of the original template. For example you sometimes find the number of buttons per page restricted to the same number as in your original template.

I suspect that you chose a template with a transparent window which allowed the clips to show through, and that feature remained when you changed the background. try a different template, and change the background to what you used before, you will probably see a differance.

Tom
Quote: Hi

I too had the same problem - I want a background (plain or image) without the video showing through.

Look forward to a solution.

Robert

Hi Robert

I have finally cracked the transparent menu. (I hope!). I have tried this a few times and so far it has worked. Try template, 1 with 4 buttons

1) I created a 400x400 pixel, transparent image in my photo editing program and saved it as a png file.

2a) I put the first 4 default images into the project and set a chapter at the start of each image.
2b) I then selected thumbnails in the create disc screen.

3) I selected new in the create disc screen.

4) In the editing screen I imported the required background.

5) Select chapter page, and move the item text over the button background (or the buttons over the item text).

6a) In the “set button effects” (frame and mask) editing screen, import the created transparent frame.
6b) Deselect the current frame (the x frame in the default options).
6c) Select the imported transparent frame. You should now have a background without any button images.

6) In the frame highlight screen select the required highlight.

7) Save, then burn.

Well it worked for me .

Tom

Robert

Thanks for replying and testing.

I repeated the experiment by opening the Menu Designer with NEW then I added an image to the background. I then burned the DVD and again I could navigate around the DVD, but without any highlighting, i.e. I had to navigate blind. I then enabled thumbnails , and the DVD worked fine all the highlights appeared!

I then left the thumbnails enabled and went back to menu 5, (one that did not work in the original experiment) Burned the disc without any other changes and it worked!

So with thumbnails enabled it works with them disabled the highlighting does not work. So Is this a bug within PD? Do other people experience this, or just a few people?

In all cases when I was in the Create Disc/Author mode the highlighting appeared.

I have only been playing with PD7 for a few days but initial opinion is that it is 3 steps forward, 2 back compared with PD6.

Tom

I read with interest Robert's comments on using the menu on the create screen, and the follow up comments, and I have to tell Nina that I already have grey hair! And it is getting even greyer editing menus.

Rather than continue that thread I thought it better to start a new one, as I have a specific problem in PD7.

I have used PD5, and PD6 and just upgraded to PD7. I say this to indicate that I am not a complete novice with PowerDirector, although I accept I am still a junior and constantly learning. I am obviously doing something wrong in menu edit, but what?

The problem I have is that I can edit the menu without any problems, but when it comes to playing the DVD, the button highlight never works. The chapters are found and play, but you have to guess where the cursor is.

As an experiment I started a new project and in Edit loaded the first 4 sample clips into the project, then set a chapter at the start of each clip (i.e. 4 chapters). Then went to the create disc screen, and selected template 5. Without touching anything I burned a disc. The DVD played but no highlighting. I repeated the experiment using template 10, and the highlighting worked!

Everything I have tried when editing my menus fails. In preview everything appears to work, but after burning the highlighting does not show. This is a problem I have never had in PD5 or PD6. I am seriously considering going back to PD6, if I can’t resolve the problem.

BTW I have installed the patch. I also appologise for a rather long ramble.

Tom

Glad to see your sorted!
Hi

I got the unlock code and download link within minutes from Cyberlink. Did you enter the correct email address? Have you checked your spam folder?

Tom
Hall

Thanks for that. Just in case I had problems I backed up the data and project files.

I was about to uninstalled PD6 and install PD7, then the desktop pc packed up Nothing to do with PD. Fortunatly it's still under warranty, but needs to return to base.

By the time I get it back I will have the material to complete it in PD6, which I will probably do then reload into PD7 to see if I can improve it!

Tom
Robert

Thanks for quick reply, I will pack and export the project as you suggest.

It's just that I can't complete the current project for a week or so, but I do want to play with PD7.

All the best

Tom
Hi

A quick question that I have not found in the forum. I currently use PD6, and have just purchased PD7. Can I run PD6 projects in PD7?

The reason that I ask this is that I am part way through a project in PD6, and if it will not load into PD7, I will complete it in PD6 before installing PD7.

Alternatively, can PD6 and PD7 both run independentaly on the same computer?

Tom
Towers

I have an Epon printer, so I don't know if this is will be the same for the Canon, but I found that I had to set the printer manually to "print to disc" in order for the Labelprint software to recognise the printer.

I like the software, but my current dissapointment is that Labelprint will not work with full face printable discs, and the Tech Department don't seem to be interested in a patch. (when I say won't work with full face printable discs I mean that it will only print to the inside diameter of a standard disc)

Tom
Go to: