Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Glitch at joining point of previous VOB file and beginning of next VOB file
Ken [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 03, 2009 23:06 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
Hi there,

I have a newbie question that perhaps you can help me with...

I've taken a Video of our band and burned it to DVD. The DVD has 3 VTS .VOB files (1, 2 &3).

When I import these files and put them into the timeline there is a glitch at the 'joining' point from each VOB file. This wouldn't normally be a major problem, but these are right in the middle of songs.

I've tried a few different ways of importing the Media Files but no matter how I've done it, even after rendering the glitch is there.

Any suggestions on how to maintain a constant, glitch-free joining point from these consecutive VOB files?

Yours help is appreciated!

Thank you.

Best wishes,

Ken
babindia
Senior Contributor Location: India Joined: Aug 16, 2007 06:11 Messages: 884 Offline
[Post New]
I do not quite understand what you meant by glitch.
I tested 2 VOB files. Did not notice any glitch.
Can you explain a bit more clearly PC specs :
OS Windows 10.0 Pro
MB - AS rock Z77 extreme 11
Intel 3770K @ 4.0 Ghz OC
Gskill 32 GB RAM 1800 Mhz
6 TB HDD, SSD bootable
nVidia ASUS GTX 660 Ti
BenQ 22" LCD monitor 1920x1080

Ken [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hello,

Thank you for helping...

The 'glicth' is when VOB 1 ends and VOB 2 starts. This happens right in the middle of a song and no matter how I try to line it up there is a couple of seconds where the song has been clipped, causing a jump in the video and sound.

Playing the DVD back this doesn't happen, only when I have imported the VOB files in PD7.

If you need any further info please let me know.

Thank you again.

best wishes,

Ken

Tom [Avatar]
Newbie Location: St Helens, Merseyside, UK Joined: Jul 23, 2007 14:08 Messages: 19 Offline
[Post New]
Ken

I know exactly what you mean about a “glitch” between VOB1 and VOB2. I had the same problem when transferring some old video tape to DVD. It would appear that a VOB file is restricted to 1Gb, then another VOB file starts.

I solved the problem by recording about 45 minutes of tape (or however long to give just under 1Gb), then winding the tape back a little, and starting to record again. This means that the start of VOB2 is the same as the end of VOB1. In PD7 I then edited the break between the two VOB files at a convenient point (in your case say between songs). On playing the DVD the “glitch” has gone.

I have to say that I used a recordable DVD to record from the video tape, then transfered the VOB files to my PC. Hope this idea is some help.

Tom

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jan 26. 2009 15:15

Ken [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Tom,

Thank you so much...It's funny; I thought of doing the same thing if I couldn't get rid of the glitch... I appreciate your advice.

At work I use a Mac and Final Cut so I also use MPEG Streamclip and it extracts the individual VOB files and joins them seamlessly.

There is a PC version of MPEG Streamclip, but it will only open 1 VOB file at a time so I don't think that will help.

I read an earlier post about 'merging' VOB files and it involved going into 'DOS' to do it. I did a google on the 'net and found a small application called VOB Merge. I'm going to try that to see if it works. If not, I'll be using your suggestions and recording under the 1GB limit. The tapes I transferred were from VHS to a DVD Recorder too; just like yours.

Thanks again for the advice; it's great when there are people out there that can offer help and advice without criticism!

Best wishes,

Ken
Ken [Avatar]
[Post New]
This Works!

I downloaded from the Internet a file for PC called "vobm250eng.zip".

This is a great little tool and it does merge as many VOB files as you would like. I checked the Merged VOB file and it plays seamlessly! No glitch!

The great thing about this is that it maintains the whole file as VOB and doesn't require any conversion to Quicktime, etc. Now you can import the whole VOB file as 1 and the render to whatever you'd like.

I think this will solve a lot of problems.

Thanks again for your help.

Best wishes,

Ken
Tom [Avatar]
Newbie Location: St Helens, Merseyside, UK Joined: Jul 23, 2007 14:08 Messages: 19 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Ken

I'm no expert with PD7, but pleased if I can help a little. Interesting that you had the problem when converting from tape, like myself. I have not experienced any problems merging two VOB files from any other source.

I will search for the file that you mention, it may help in the future.

Tom
[Post New]
Another suggestion, possibly saving you time...

After burning the DVD from tape, use DVD Decrypter to get the files on to hard disk. Under Tools / Settings go to the IFO tab and select "None" under file splitting. That will extract a single VOB file to your hard disk, saving you have to merge them later.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 27. 2009 12:43