Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Menu template background
Spartan [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 03, 2008 21:50 Messages: 29 Offline
[Post New]
Hi all,

I'm new to PD7 but I feel I have pretty good grasp of it so far. One problem I have is driving me up the wall so hopefully someone can help out.

I'm creating a DVD menu and am trying to edit or modify an existing template. The template I have selected has a kind of framing effect that shows the first 20 seconds of video playing in the background. I want to know if I can change it to play a different video or even put a picture in the background instead.

I've tried using the "Replace background picture" button thing but all that does is kind of superimposes the new picture or video on top of what is already there - it's doesn't get rid of the previous back ground.

Am I doing something wrong or is there a problem?
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Find a video answer here:
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/3523.page

You'll need to scroll down the list.

Dafydd
Spartan [Avatar]
[Post New]
Dafydd, I watched the "Menu Designer 1" tutorial video and everything is working fine for me up to when I click on the "Replace background image or video" button.

Instead of replacing the background it just superimposes the new one on top of the old one i.e. I can still see the original background "through" the new one.

I can't see anything else in that list you gave me so am I missing something?
RobertWA [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Sep 20, 2008 00:18 Messages: 223 Offline
[Post New]
Hi

I too had the same problem - I want a background (plain or image) without the video showing through.

Look forward to a solution.

Robert
Spartan [Avatar]
[Post New]
I just re-watched menu designer 1 to make sure I hadn't missed anything the last 5 times I watched it and guess what....... the same thing happens in the tutorial!

If you look at the original template background, on the right hand side there is a roughly circular area that that is lighter and a different colour to the rest of the background, but when the background is replaced with the green sky picture, the lighter patch from the previous picture can still be seen! It also remains when the background is changed for a second time to the orange sky.

Obviously the problem is not in my head so does anyone out there have any solutions for me?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 09. 2008 22:50

RobertWA [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Sep 20, 2008 00:18 Messages: 223 Offline
[Post New]
Spartan

As I indicated above I had the same problem. I found that creating a new menu was the way to go, instead of just putting a new background on an existing template.

Good luck.

Robert
Tom [Avatar]
Newbie Location: St Helens, Merseyside, UK Joined: Jul 23, 2007 14:08 Messages: 19 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hi

I too had the same problem - I want a background (plain or image) without the video showing through.

Look forward to a solution.

Robert

Hi Robert

I have finally cracked the transparent menu. (I hope!). I have tried this a few times and so far it has worked. Try template, 1 with 4 buttons

1) I created a 400x400 pixel, transparent image in my photo editing program and saved it as a png file.

2a) I put the first 4 default images into the project and set a chapter at the start of each image.
2b) I then selected thumbnails in the create disc screen.

3) I selected new in the create disc screen.

4) In the editing screen I imported the required background.

5) Select chapter page, and move the item text over the button background (or the buttons over the item text).

6a) In the “set button effects” (frame and mask) editing screen, import the created transparent frame.
6b) Deselect the current frame (the x frame in the default options).
6c) Select the imported transparent frame. You should now have a background without any button images.

6) In the frame highlight screen select the required highlight.

7) Save, then burn.

Well it worked for me .

Tom

Spartan [Avatar]
[Post New]
G'day Tom,

I've had a read through of your solution but it sounds like you've solved a different problem than mine - but I'll need to try it out tonight when I have some time at home.

I'll let you know how I go.

Robert,

I ended up creating a menu from scratch too, but the problem was I really liked the animated template I was trying to use and ended up using a boring static photo instead.
Tom [Avatar]
Newbie Location: St Helens, Merseyside, UK Joined: Jul 23, 2007 14:08 Messages: 19 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: G'day Tom,

I've had a read through of your solution but it sounds like you've solved a different problem than mine - but I'll need to try it out tonight when I have some time at home.

I'll let you know how I go.

Robert,

I ended up creating a menu from scratch too, but the problem was I really liked the animated template I was trying to use and ended up using a boring static photo instead.

Spartan

I think that when you select a menu template then change the background you seem to retain some of the characteristics of the original template. For example you sometimes find the number of buttons per page restricted to the same number as in your original template.

I suspect that you chose a template with a transparent window which allowed the clips to show through, and that feature remained when you changed the background. try a different template, and change the background to what you used before, you will probably see a differance.

Tom
Spartan [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote:

I suspect that you chose a template with a transparent window which allowed the clips to show through, and that feature remained when you changed the background. try a different template, and change the background to what you used before, you will probably see a differance.

Tom

I think you've hit the nail on the head Tom. I'll try a different template and see what happens. It's a real shame because I really liked the template I was trying to use but it wouldn't do exactly what I wanted it to do.

I'm now thinking that it wasn't a mistake I was making but just a limitation of the program unfortunately.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 12. 2008 18:55