Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
I give up on PD7
Bubba_in_NV [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 21, 2008 09:28 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Having beta tested, and getting all the updates, I finally give up trying to use PD7. It is the most unstable and frustrating thing I have ever used. I used PD5 and PD6. I have gone back to PD6.

PD7 has so many problems it should not be sold.

Having to remake my last video in PD6, with ZERO problems I might add, I was able to meet a scheduled deadline. With PD7 my videos were not crisp and sharp. In PD7 you have to bring up a seperate window to view in high def which is crazy.

Almost all my videos are right at 1 hour 50 minutes. Except the one I tried to make in PD7. It is only 44 minutes and PD7 could not handle it.

If all you make are 45 second videos, PD7 might work for you.

I run PD6 on the SAME machine as PD7.. Vista Home Premium and Win7 beta.

PD6 had the option to preview in 3 definition formats.
PD6 did not stall previewing videos.
PD6 does not make your PIP videos look fuzzy and out of focus.
PD6 always burned and/or rendered my video. PD7 will only render a Windows/Avi and takes forever. PD7 will not burn a DVD.
PD6 renders windows/AVI TWICE as fast and will also do a DV/AVI (PD7 would not)

When the time line gets over 40 minutes. PD7 gets unstable, locks up, crashes, and you have to save each thing you do and have it autosave every 2 minutes. PD6 does not do that with a timeline of 1 hour and 50 minutes.

I tried, boy did I try to make PD7 work, but it is impossible.

They need to scrap PD7 and start over. PD6 is better for those that do not need HD. Even though I have an HD capable computer I was afraid to try anything in HD with PD7.

To me trying to use PD7 was very frustrating, I do hope they fix it, but it looks doubtful.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 24. 2009 20:16

Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Bubba_in_NV,

Sorry to hear that PD7 isn't working out for. But for what it's worth, my experience has been the complete opposite. I've used and purchased PD v4 through v7, and each upgrade has been a worthwhile investment, owing to the added features and improvements.

I will admit that at first I too thought that the PIPs in v7 looked fuzzier than v6, but that turned out to be a preview screen issue. After producing a project, and viewing it in WMP, the PIPs looked fine.

Bubba wrote:
PD7 has so many problems it should not be sold.

I'll have to strongly disagree with you on that point.
Even though I was very very satisfied with v6, and was at first hesitant to upgrade to v7, I am completely satisfied with v7, and wouldn't dream of rolling back to v6. I have not experienced any increase in glitches, and am not having any more crashes, freezes, or problems with v7 than what I did with v6.

Just my 2 cents worth Bubba.

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
babindia
Senior Contributor Location: India Joined: Aug 16, 2007 06:11 Messages: 884 Offline
[Post New]
Bubba_in_NV
Have you updated PD7 to the latest patch which is 7.0.2429a ?
It would be more helpful if you give us the details of the video
Adding too many filters , transitions, overlays do make editing & rendering
difficult.
Mr. Cranston's post should also be noted.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 24. 2009 23:45

PC specs :
OS Windows 10.0 Pro
MB - AS rock Z77 extreme 11
Intel 3770K @ 4.0 Ghz OC
Gskill 32 GB RAM 1800 Mhz
6 TB HDD, SSD bootable
nVidia ASUS GTX 660 Ti
BenQ 22" LCD monitor 1920x1080

Bubba_in_NV [Avatar]
[Post New]
I have tried PD7 on all 4 of my computers. 3 vista and 1 win2000, all good high end machines, two of which I ran PD6 on for a long time, and its the same on all of them. Got ALL the updates installed. Have any of you guys made a 2 hour video yet?

If all I wanted to do is produce 4 minute videos for you tube it would be alright. I did not make my 4 minutes christmas greeting videos this year like I normally do (was in and out of hospital) but my normal produced movies are never less than 1 hour and 30 minutes. I make them all the time for non profit organizations for free.

I am certainly glad some of you have no problems.

I will wait a while before I try PD7 again. By the way, I am running the beta Win7 and its the same, and I have only had one small issue with Win7 and got it resolved, it was a sound card issue. Other than that I love it and all Vista users will too. It is what Vista should have been. Microsoft should give it out for free to registered Vista users. My laptop really loves it. Its fast in everything it does. About 1 minute to boot. Quick shut down.

I reproduced my PD7 movie in PD6 using Win 7 and Vista last week with like I said above ZERO problems.

By the way I tried the demo versions of Pinnacle Studio 12 Ultimate and Magix Movie Editor pro, both are not in the same league as Power Producer.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Jan 25. 2009 00:12

Magnus [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 26, 2009 17:11 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I too have had enough of this POS. It is so bad that I wish physical harm and disease on the persons responsible for allowing this to market.
I think the final straw was the windows slider bars where the left/right arrows both moved the slider to the right, and the up/down arrows moved the slider down.
The program would barely run on my Dell at home so for a company project I managed to get a new workstation that features eight CPUs. Matter of fact, I went to our IT department and said "This is the software; what computer do I need." They procured $5,000 worth of new Dell workstation the software still doesn't run satisfactorily.
The program has crashed at least once per session and sometimes three times in three hours.
I read somewhere on this forum that if I try to use to many of the bells-and-whistles, then the program will crap out. WTH? If the features are provided I should be able to load up every track with everything I want. Otherwise, what is the point?

Did I mention that the workstation is not networked so the risk of virus is near nill.

I have bunch of other complaints that can be generalized as "stuff that makes the app cumbersome to use": for example, when I'm zoomed in on the timeline and want to drag the end of a long, the app assumes that I want to jump to the beginning of the clip and I have to scroll back to the end. Yeah, it gets really irritating when you try to match three second clips to a beat, because you have to be zoomed in to click-and-drag with any precision.

Why is there no separate soundtrack for sound effects. There is a track for music, one for voice which leaves no room for sound effects. And the handles for the sound level controls are microscopic.

How about the title editor where you can't see the text while you are moving the box so you have to guess at the result before you drop. Not much per se, but all these extra clicks add up to a frustrating experience.

In all, I am discouraging anyone from buying this junk. I have written a scathing review on epinion.com and I'm trying to think of more ways of preventing people from wasting time and money on this piece of ----.

There might be a patch available, but it's too late. At current, I can't even burn a DVD because a timeline won't load. I've rebooted three times and it still doesn't work. I have burned DVDs before but now it won't do anything.

Never ever any Cyberlink Product again. After this project I am deleting this junk.
Barry
Senior Member Location: N Attleboro, MA Joined: Jul 13, 2006 19:57 Messages: 295 Offline
[Post New]
Hmmm, I'm not sure what your point is, could you be clearer? Maybe you've got too many of those CUP thingys. Join/SignUp to SeeMyWorldOnVideo. We're PowerDirector Video Editors. Are you a member? - JOIN TODAY!
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Magnus,

I realize that this is probably a pointless reply, given your displeasure with PD7, but...
Why is there no separate soundtrack for sound effects.

You can use any of the 6 PIP tracks as an audio or sound effects track. I do it all the time. However, since you're leaving us, it really isn't worth going into any detail. But, in case you ever revisit PD7, I just wanted to let you know that in a pinch, the PIP tracks can be used as extra audio tracks.

You wish physical harm and disease? To the marketers of PD7?
Really? Hmm.
Where do you stand on world peace? Hahaha.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 26. 2009 18:48

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
OnTheWeb1
Contributor Location: Michigan USA Joined: Jan 02, 2009 12:58 Messages: 511 Offline
[Post New]
Magnus,

I would like to know if this was on a 64-bit platform? 8 true CPU's? Or, are you referring to Core i7?
Win8 64-bit Pro Retail
Intel i7-4770
16GB DDR3 1600 8-8-8-24
MSI Z87-G45 Motherboard
ASUS GTX 660 Direct CU II OC 2GB GPU
1 TB RAID 1 (mirrored) Drive Array
Several scratch drives for video, TMP, pagefile.
Bubba_in_NV [Avatar]
[Post New]
It dont matter. Not everyone has a good experience with PD7. I was just one of them also. I wont go away, I will just sit back and wait.

I belong to see my world on video, and have given lots of input to the guys at Cyberlink. I do not wish the guys there any harm. I am sure they are pulling what little hair they have out anyway.

I speak to Dafydd all the time using Skype. We talk so much that we seldom talk about PD7 or anything related to Cyberlink anymore. He is a GREAT guy and a better source of information on a lot of topics.

Like I said, I will wait til there is a version of PD7 that works for me. Until then, PD6 gives me no problems and has all the features I need. No need for me to produce a HD video. No one around here could watch it in HD anyway. I live WWOD... way way out dare...... The closest wallmart to me is 230 miles. (or antything else for that matter)

I will tell you that I downloaded the trial of Pinnacle Studio 12 Ultra because I have heard so much about it. I was REALLY disappointed with it. Power Director has it beat no contest-hands down-end of story. In fact Power Director in my opinion has the best title board effects out there. I like to use title boards and have a lot of action.

I wish I could post a video I made for a old timers convention here last year. With PD6. It was 1 hour 49 minutes long, and it was shown to a crowd of over 800 people. Loaded with 50 and 60's music, lots of historical pictures, and some old video footage of the community. It got a 10 minute standing ovation. I handed out 350 DVD's of it. All at no cost. Worked on it for 4 months. Thats what I do... at least a dozen of those a year....all free ... did one last night also. but it was the shortest I have ever made. Only 44 minutes.. I have done the local High Schools Graduation video every year for a lot of years. I used Power Point for a very long time. I am really good with it. (thanks to 20 years of Air Force staff meetings)

I must be CRAZY....... but I do like Power Dirctor. Just not all versions....

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm............ fingers are still crossed....

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Jan 26. 2009 20:41

Tom [Avatar]
Newbie Location: St Helens, Merseyside, UK Joined: Jul 23, 2007 14:08 Messages: 19 Offline
[Post New]
I sympathise with a lot of the comments about PD7. In an earlier post I described it as 3 steps forward and 2 back, when compared with PD6.

My biggest criticism is still with the menu screen and its sub screens. If you could run both PD7 and PD6 on the same computer I would be tempted to produce a project in PD7 then loading it into PD6 to produce the chapters and menu.

I do like PD, basically but just hope that Cyberlink will revert back to PD6 for the menu creation.

Tom

Magnus [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 26, 2009 17:11 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I could use the PiP window in a pinch for sound effects. But when I have already loaded up ALL the PiP tracks with material it becomes hard to use those tracks. One track I use for our logo. If I use a quad-split effect, that's four more tracks used up. And then I need a picture to slide in on top of the quad. Oops! Out of tracks. And to top it off, I can't use video effects or transitions in the PiPs. The best I can hope for is the fade in/out checkboxes. And speaking of PiP: in the preview window I can get the effect I want, which was for a logo to look like it was attached to a box shown in the main track. When the box was moved, so did the logo. Looked ok in preview, but as soon as I close the preview window, the effect is off by a second and ruined.
What's with the PiP tracks not staying muted. Seems like everytime they move, they regain their sound. Instead of having a "mute" checkbox in the box to the left of the track, you have to open a menu, find the "Mute Track", select the "Mute" and keep doing this every time you import a new clip to that PiP.
And the whole application seems to be frought with procedure that requires two or three mouseclicks too many. Not a big deal if you only drop in a clip, but when you spend several days with it and realize that it could have taken half as long, then it gets frustrating.
And some of the handles are no more than a pixel across which makes it feel like you are trying to thread a needle when you go to adjust your effects controls.
The way I describe this program is that it is too advanced for beginners and too amateurish for prosumers. In the end (or beginning) is is my fault for not researching this better.
I'm sure that some of the problems are related to how I work and there a better procedures, but when the preview window can't play back smoothly, or when the soundtracks starts looping on itself, or when effects can only be set with a slider instead of a value field, that is not my fault.
Or how about the slider under the tracks. All the way zoomed in, it is not proportional. It moves the tracks just as much as if it were zoomed out and there is little chance of moving the tracks smoothly. Why do I need to be zoomed in so closely? Because I want to end four PiPs at the exact moment that the main track starts up. And when I grab the end of the PiP clips, the cursor jumps to the beginning of the clip, so then I have to scroll to the back again to click and drag. If you get tired reading this, imaging working with this (*&$#$&^
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
My friend Bubba has eloquently stated his reasons, a polite explanations of the concerns he had. I know his reasons already and I have asked him for his cooperation in attempting to resolve the particular issue - he has given of his time and effort willingly.

I have been unable to replicate his issue.

Magus, your comments and approach are unacceptable on a public forum. Your first post on this forum was totally out of order. I suggest you make direct representation to customer support: http://www.cyberlink.com/english/cs/support/new_site/support_index.html
Ensure you give information in a logical manner, state what version and build of PD7 you are using. A diagnostic file would also be useful.
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/2405.page
Subject: PowerDirector - information we request and tasks to carry out.
PART A, B, C, D, E, F, G, P,

This is a forum for CyberLink members to discuss and share their users' experience. CyberLink customer support will not reply in the forum regarding the technical issues. Topics or replies with attacking or illegal messages will be deleted by the forum management directly.

I have locked this post as Bubba has answered fully.

Dafydd
[Moderator]

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 27. 2009 12:55