CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
It's possible that you're simply overtaxing your system. Even an extremely powerful computer is going to choke a bit once you get half a dozen videos playing at once.

It is also possible that you're having a problem mixing formats. You don't say how each person recorded his segment, but if one person recorded on a Samsung phone, another on an iPhone, another on a webcam and another on something, that's a lot of different resolutions, frame rates and codecs, which is going to tax your system even more.

Here's my tutorial on creating this effect. I shot all four segments with the same AVCHD camcorder, which minimized this issue. But if I'd have tried to do this with twice as many videos, I'd likely see some choking too.

Try outputting a segment of your video to see if the issue will be in your final output or if it's only a playback issue while you're editing.

Depends on what you mean by " can't make it fit."

It should be a pretty simple Picture-in-Picture effect. Unless you're trying to shape the video into, say, an oval. In which case you can use a mask in the Mask Designer.
Sounds like a rhetorical question to me.
The two most important questions are:

1) What type of video do you edit? Camcorder video? Phone video? What resolution and format?

2) How much do you want to spend?

There's no right or wrong answer for #2, but it is very important to consider. You can get great desktop for editing for as little as $600-700. A similar laptop could cost $1000. Though of course you spend upwards of $2000-5000. That may be more power than you need, but that depends on how you answered #1.
Interestingly, I saw a reference to OBS audio on another forum this morning with another person complaining about issues.

Do you know the specs of the audio that software produces?

Open one of your OBS clips in the free download MediaInfo. In MediaInfo, set View to Text and then copy the complete specs of its report and post it to this forum.

It could well reveal why audio exported from this software is giving some editors problems.
What is the origin of your audio?

Is it from camcorder video? Was it recorded to your computer using audio software? Is it from some other source and, if so, what are its specs?
Here's how to add and use an FX track.

Though it might be worth trying a conversion with Handbrake to a more standard MP4. While technically you can't create frames or bit rate, it may create a file that you can at least edit in PowerDirector.

Here's how to do it right.

Well, the first thing to be aware of is that security video isn't designed to be edited. It's designed to be archived or used as an aid to security. For that reason, its format is designed to fit the most data in the smallest space. It may made up of codecs that maximize compression and variable frame rates and bit rates.

Editable video -- from a camcorder or phone, for instance -- is designed to be a balance of quality and size.

If you'd like we can crack open your video and see what it's made of. Then we can give you more specific advice -- or advise you to convert the video before editing it.

If you'd like us to do that, open one of your videos in the free download MediaInfo. In MediaInfo, set View to Text and then copy the complete text report and paste it to this forum.
It depends on how the background music has been added to the video.

If you've got a finished video only (say a movie you downloaded) that's got music, sound effects and dialog mixed together, it's pretty much impossible.

But if this is your project and you've added an audio track that includes music and you want to know how to remove it, it's as simple as removing the track.
There will be no visible loss in quality.

In fact, if your project settings are the same as your video format, PowerDirector's SVRT smart rendering technology will re-use the video rather than re-render it and there will be no change in the video data whatsoever.
What effect are you trying to create?
The challenge with any technology investment is that it becomes obsolete very quickly. This year's $2000 computer is next year's $1000 computer. It's not always a wise investment to chase the latest technology or spend as much as you can. My rule of thumb has always been to spend no more than $1000 on computer. (We're talking only about the box, not the monitor, etc.) That way it won't break your heart in a year when you find out it's only worth half as much.

The good news is that you can get alot of power for $1000! Certainly enough to edit 4K and way more than enough to edit HD.

Although laptops are a bit different. For one thing, you can't just buy the CPU unit, so a lot of what you're paying for is the monitor. Also, laptops are built for portability rather than speed. So a laptop won't run quite efficiently as a desktop with the same configuration. But as fast as today's processors are, that's not as big a deal as it was. Just know you're going to significantly pay more for a laptop than you will for desktop with the same guts.

With thousands of possible configurations out there, I recommend using these benchmark numbers as a measure. A rating of 10,000 for a CPU is very good. 15,000 or more is excellent. That and 16 gig of RAM or more will take you about 90% of the way there, if you're editing with PowerDirector.
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

Picking a graphics card is a bit trickier. But you'll find a listing for video card benchmarks also on that site. With graphics cards, it's more than simply a high number. A video editor doesn't need the same GPU as a gamer. So with graphics cards, it's best to get a recommendation from a fellow user.

But focus first on your CPU, IMHO. That's the engine that drives your computer.
Install the PowerDirector .exe first. The others can be installed in any order.
Are you saying you're using webcam video and video recorded with OBS software for your key shot?

That's not very high quality video. And, as I said earlier, lower quality and more highly compressed video won't give you crisp edges. You might be able to shave off some of that fringing -- but if you want a good key shot, you really should use at the very least a good AVCHD camcorder with good lighting.

You may find my tutorial helpful, even if it was made a few years ago on an older version of the program.

Can you post a screen capture of what you're seeing?

Also, let us know what device created your video and what format and resolution it is. Some highly compressed video formats aren't able to give your colors crisp edges.
I've read your post several times, Phoenix, and I'm still not clear what you're asking. (Maybe I'm just dense.)

What is it you're trying to save time doing?

It sounds like you might be talking about rear projection -- an old movie technique in which a movie is projected from behind on a semi-transparent sheet so that the person in front of it seems to be standing on a street in Paris, for instance, instead of in a movie studio.

Is that it?

If so, that's possible but it's also a process that even Hollywood has long abandoned, for a number of reasons. Green screening and C Chroma Key are much simpler and, with today's technology, so much more effective.
That's definitely a non-traditional aspect ratio. Is this video from a camcorder?

But it IS essentially 16:9.

16:9 video (like 1920x1080,1280x720 or 855x480) has an aspect ratio of 1.777.

820x462 has an aspect ratio of 1.774.
You should not be seeing any ads when you're on this forum.

I think you've picked up some adware somewhere.

You can try this.
[url=https://www.malwarebytes.com/adwcleaner/]https://www.malwarebytes.com/adwcleaner/[/url]

Just remember that, every time you click on any Twitter or Facebook clickbait, you are agreeing to let them install adware on your system. So be careful what you click on!

And never click on some political meme or a picture of a young woman who looks like she's falling out of her blouse.
As we always say, those that know aren't allowed to say.

But I'm not aware of any plans not to.
Go to: