Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
produced video quality is worse than the input video
Dennis218887 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 13, 2021 12:24 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
When combining 2 videos into a single video the output quality is much worse than the input videos. What is wrong?
Please note- i am not interested in the preview - this is the produced video at the highest possible resolution. I am making the video as MP4.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
We'd need to know a whole lot more about the individual clips to offer specific advice, but generally you should use the Profile Analyzer tool on the Produce page and choose the profile that matches the highest resolution clip on your project's timeline.
Dennis218887 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote We'd need to know a whole lot more about the individual clips to offer specific advice, but generally you should use the Profile Analyzer tool on the Produce page and choose the profile that matches the highest resolution clip on your project's timeline.

Hi

I have produced the video at the highest resolution possible. I am not sure what "lot more" information would be helpful to answer this.

If I compare the original and the produced video, the quality of the component when inserted into the product is not as good as the original. Clearly, that should not be.
StevenG [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Jan 14, 2014 14:04 Messages: 513 Offline
[Post New]
What device or software created the video you are editing?

Is your video coming from more than one device?

Open one of your source videos in the free download MediaInfo. In MediaInfo, set View to Text and then copy the text of this full report and paste it to this forum.

With this detailed information, we'll be better able to diagnose why things didn't turn out well.
Dennis218887 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote What device or software created the video you are editing?

Is your video coming from more than one device?

Open one of your source videos in the free download MediaInfo. In MediaInfo, set View to Text and then copy the text of this full report and paste it to this forum.

With this detailed information, we'll be better able to diagnose why things didn't turn out well.

It was generated from PowerPoint (both videos) using a laptop camera. Not great quality to start with.

General
Complete name : C:\Users\Owner\Sugar Milling Research Institute\SMRI Webinars - Documents\General\2022\A CVP DJL\DJL Webinar BPG A-CVP.mp4
Format : MPEG-4
Format profile : Base Media / Version 2
Codec ID : mp42 (MSNV/isom/mp42)
File size : 1.11 GiB
Duration : 23 min 22 s
Overall bit rate mode : Variable
Overall bit rate : 6 787 kb/s
Encoded date : UTC 2022-11-22 21:08:36
Tagged date : UTC 2022-11-22 21:08:36
Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L5
Format settings : CABAC / 3 Ref Frames
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, Reference frames : 3 frames
Format settings, GOP : M=3, N=52
Codec ID : avc1
Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 6 399 kb/s
Maximum bit rate : 41.3 Mb/s
Width : 2 048 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 25.000 FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.116
Stream size : 1.04 GiB (94%)
Language : English
Color range : Limited
Color primaries : BT.709
Transfer characteristics : BT.709
Matrix coefficients : BT.709
Codec configuration box : avcC
Audio
ID : 2
Format : AAC LC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec Low Complexity
Codec ID : mp4a-40-2
Source duration : 23 min 22 s
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 384 kb/s
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel layout : L R
Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
Frame rate : 46.875 FPS (1024 SPF)
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 64.2 MiB (6%)
Source stream size : 64.2 MiB (6%)
Language : English
mdhd_Duration : 1402472

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 23. 2022 11:32

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I have produced the video at the highest resolution possible. I am not sure what "lot more" information would be helpful to answer this

"Highest resolution possible" is meaningless because it doesn't tell us anything about your source clips, or even what the actual "highest possible" settings are that you used. I assume you mean you produced to 4K, but the video bitrate and frame rate are also important.

The MediaInfo details are very helpful as they show 2 key issues: the clip has a very low video bitrate (which is common in screen recordings where there isn't a lot of content changes); and it's in HD resolution.

The best default produce profile to use for this specific clip would be MPEG-4 2K 2048 x 1080/25p (40Mbps) from the H.264 AVC button. That should be similar to what the Profile Analyzer suggests, but the analyzer may provide you with a better match for the video bitrate which could result in a smaller video file size.

You can produce this clip to 4K but that will not increase the quality at all. In fact doing so may decrease the perceived quality because PD has to zoom in 4x and fill the screen with interpolated content that would otherwise only take up 1/4 of a 4K-size screen.

Try the profile I suggested or use Profile Anaylzer and see if you get better results.
StevenG [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Jan 14, 2014 14:04 Messages: 513 Offline
[Post New]
I'd also add that video from PowerPoint does not make for good editing video.

For one that, that 2048x1080 anamorphic 16:9 is pretty non-standard -- so any video editing app is going to be compromised by it (even though it may look fine in a media player). So that's likely a large part of the problem.

There are also potential issues with that MP42 codec.

When you say "the output quality" is worse, what exactly do you mean? Is the color bad? Is the resolution poor?
Dennis218887 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I'd also add that video from PowerPoint does not make for good editing video.

For one that, that 2048x1080 anamorphic 16:9 is pretty non-standard -- so any video editing app is going to be compromised by it (even though it may look fine in a media player). So that's likely a large part of the problem.

There are also potential issues with that MP42 codec.

When you say "the output quality" is worse, what exactly do you mean? Is the color bad? Is the resolution poor?

Thank you

I have tried the settings and seems to be better.

Thank you.

Regards

Dennis