Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Quote After some back and forth with CL tech support, it turns out that they couldn't duplicate the issue on their 10 test machines, but they said they knew which process was to blame.

The good news is that everything looks good on my system with the latest update, so it looks like the issue is not present in the June 2021 release of PD365 (v19.6.3016).

I updated to the latest (19.7.3115.0) version this morning (2021-07-31), and I am having this problem.

Depending on the length and content of the clip, the Action Camera Center might work, especially since you want to pause the clip completely.

I tried freeze frame, but I decided that using time shifts gave me a more pleasing result. I'm working on the parting of the Red Sea. Since it's going to be used as a Zoom background, I'm not aiming for an Oscar. I'm happy with what I got.

If I wanted it to be closely inspected, I'd use more time shifts.
Too bad...it seems like a natural thing to do, although the programming would probably be complex.
I have a video clip that needs to be cropped. That's simple enough to do in the preview window, but it seems that using the action camera center resets the crop and there's no way to crop a clip once the action camera center has worked on it.

Am I missing something?
Is there any way to create gradual video speed changes? I want to have the middle section of a clip to slow to a stop and then speed up again.

I'm looking for something more subtle than creating a time shift.
Another issue is the keyword assignments. I seached for Hannukah-themed images and came up empty. Since there are a lot of different ways of transliterating Hebrew words, I tried several.

When I searched for "candle," up popped some Happy Hannukah stuff.

There seem to be some compatibility issues with that new browser. You can try temporarily switching your default browser to IE to see if PD can access the internet, then restore Chromium Edge and see if PD's connectivity keeps working.

You can also download all DZ templates manually, and they'll install when you run them (no need to download them then launch them). They'll install even when PD is running, and this post has some tips to make your browsing experience better.

I get the same message trying to get to the manual or help index. I have Edge as my default browser, but also have IE and plain old Chrome installed.

I tried changing the default browser in Windows, but I didn't have time to reboot my system.
They also show in Apps and Features, so Windows thinks they're installed.

This has been bugging me, too, but I think it's a harmless annoyance.
I just installed Director Suite 365. When I launched AudioDirector for the first time, I think I saw a message about activating codecs. I didn't catch what it said.

I know that in the past some bits and pieces had to be activated within thirty days.

Assuming I wasn't hallucinating, does anyone know how to activate whatever things (other than the program itself) need to be activated?
Quote Are you wearing spectacles by any chance, mine didn't work and I took of my glasses and everyone works fine?

Eyeglasses definitely don't help. I don't use facial recognition security on anything.

Thanks for the advice. I know I can take one long shot with a camera in a fixed position and then divide that clip into shorter clips for mulitple tracks in the timeline.

What do you mean by "shadowed"? Is your test clip available for me to watch?

I don't remember what I meant. I didn't produce my experiment, I just previewed it. I used one of the sample clips that comes with PD, so I figured you could duplicate the experiment pretty easily. Just follow what I did. The hard part was finding where to set the opacity of the clip. There are a couple of places you can do it, but I think the PIP editor is the easiest to find.
Quote "Yours rates at 3280, mine at 2829, so by that measure yours is only about 15% faster than mine."

Looking at the PassMark CPU benchmarks, the AMD Phenom 9650 shows 2649; my i7-4790 3.6Ghz shows 9999. Not sure where you saw 3280 and 2829. In any case, they are what they are... smile

The 2829 comes from fat-fingering the keyboard. The 3280 comes from mixing you up with another poster on this thread. embarassed

Obviously, your system far surpasses mine.
Here's a build to order setup I'm looking at:

• 750W power supply

• Asus X99-E Desktop Motherboard - Intel X99 Chipset

• Intel Core i7 6850K Processor Socket 15M Cache, up to 3.60 GHz 6 Core LGA 2011-v3 (PassMark14410)

• Onboard sound and LAN

• 16GB RAM DDR4 2666

• 1TB HD

• Gigabyte or MSI GeForce GTX 1060 3GB graphics card (not a "real" NVIDIA card)

• Internal Blu-ray burner

That's about my limit, as far as money goes.

I could scavenge some parts from my existing system (the optical drives, for example), but those aren't big ticket items. I could also cut back a little on the performance of the memory and HD.

The single biggest savings would come from dropping down to the 6800K (PassMark 13634). Either one would be an enormous step up from where I am.

Or I could sell one of the children and go for the 6900K and a 1TB SSD. I think the girl would fetch a better price, but she's a screamer—so buyer beware.

Seriously, does this sound like overkill?
From what I can tell, most cases only have two drive bays; so with an SSD and an HD, I wouldn't have room for an additional HD. I also wouldn't have any way to set up a RAID.

Two drive bays, what type of case are you looking at? That's pretty uncommon and surely not the norm. Most common in mid tower cases is to have 3, 4, or 6, 3.5 internal HD drive bays per the 357 cases sold at newegg. A mere 15% only have 2 internal 3.5" drive bays. Many of the cases also have a 2.5" bays and some have a special SSD mount so you don't use a bay.

Jeff

I wasn't looking at cases, I was looking at retail systems. Although I used to build systems from scratch, I'm no longer familiar enough with the technology to trust myself.
Quote to jerrys

"It looks like your system should be about half again as fast as mine."

Are you suggesting that mine (at 3.6 Ghz) is about 50% faster than yours (at 2.4 Ghz)? If so, I think you're using an irrelevant statistic. You need to compare the PassMark scores of the two CPUs, on this website: http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php.

I can't see what processor chip you're using or I'd check it for you...

Yours rates at 3280, mine at 2829, so by that measure yours is only about 15% faster than mine. My complete specs are

• AMD Phenom 9650 Quad-Core processor 2.40 GHz

• RAM: 8GB

• Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

• NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GS

This system was quite adequate when I first got started, but I was working with a much older (smaller) version of PD and with standard resolution videos. As PD (and every other program under the sun) has gotten more complex, I've found it harder and harder to preview clips.

If my system were dedicated to video editing, I could scrape off all the barnacles and have a better time of it; but this is my only computer, and I need things like MS Office. Everything under the sun now comes with its own cloud, so I don't doubt that some CPU cycles are going down that rat hole. That, plus the fact that my system was released in 2008, is driving me to an upgrade.

I'm just a hobbyist, so my system is fine (no 4k).

I guess if I were buying today, I'd try to find a system with an SSD (for OS and programs) and a more recent GPU (not that rendering has been a bottleneck, but I know that keeping up with recent speeds helps prevent early obsolescence). I don't think I'll buy another system until I can afford a significantly faster CPU (for editing).

I'm also just a hobbyist. It looks like your system should be about half again as fast as mine.

I'm of two minds about an SSD. It would certainly make some things faster, but not actual editing. I don't think either still or video editing come close to making my HD sweat. Managing two volumes can be a pain—the space you need is always in the wrong place.

Having a boot drive too small to hold my existing system would make migration a lot more difficult, too. If the new boot drive has room for my all of my old stuff, I can do a bare metal recovery from a backup. If I have to split the existing system up, things get more complicated.

From what I can tell, most cases only have two drive bays; so with an SSD and an HD, I wouldn't have room for an additional HD. I also wouldn't have any way to set up a RAID.

I have some thinking to do.
Quote My current computer (in signature ) is about 5 years old. At the time I built, it was about the most computer that I could afford.

It is not as fast now as I would like, but it does still do the job. As is true in video editing the more functions you want the computer to perform, the slower it gets.

I am able to edit two hour plus movies fairly well.

Would I like a faster computer? Of course I would. I do not need to spend that kind of money right now.

Mine is significantly slower than yours. CPU is only 2.4GHz.
Quote Hi,

Looks like you need to film a scence twice...without touching the camera or lighting. For example an empty restaurant and then later in the day when filled with guests and staff.

Then you put the empty clip on one track and the other on the second track...and adjust the opacitiy to get such an effect. Tables and things that are not moving should be clear like in the video.

Fun experiment. Maybe I'll try too.

Dave

Thank you, Dave.

It seems there are at least 2 or 3 tracks populated with people, one of them in reverse motion, besides the empty clip. I'm not sure how to adjust opacity with maybe four tracks. Perhaps with experimentation.

Ron

I don't think you have to film the same scene twice. Except for the tables, I think everything is shadowed. You should be able to take a single clip and chop it up and move the pieces around, reverse it, and so forth.

I suspect you could get what you want using a blank background. The things that aren't moving at all would become pretty close to opaque if they were layered enough.

I just tried this with the sample clip Kite Surfing. I put one copy in track 2, another copy in track 3. I reversed the clip in track 3. I set the opacity of each clip to 50% to start, then I fiddled with them. Those two clips will give you the beginnings of the effect you want. More layers will probably get you closer. I put a colorboard (0,120,255) in track one to keep it from being too dark.

Because the background of that clip isn't stationary, it doesn't come out that well; but I think you get the idea. By using keyframes you can get the different clips to take prominence at different times.

Just for giggles, I put sunrise.jpg in track one. It layered in a nice effect.
Quote $3,000 would give me whiplash also!

The GPU may are may not be used in video editing, it depends on too many factors. You must have some video fuction just to see the video. Powerdirector does not always use the GPU for effects, title, and rendering. It really depends on what is selected in preferences and what you chose in Produce.

Carl, I'm going to ask you the same question I asked Tom. Is your system adequate for your needs? If you could, what would you change?

That's why I asked. Pro systems can go for tens of thousands...

I looked at your configuration as described in your signature. Do you find it adequate? What would you change if you could?
Quote You never said why you want a new computer in the original post. Is it because the old computer’s performance is bad or it’s dead. Have you any plans maybe to upgrade to using 4k video or just stay with HD 1080p. The external video card is not that important unless you want to go to 4k editing.

I have two reasons for shopping: my current computer has slowed down considerably; and I would like to replace it before it dies.

I could cope with the former by slashing away at the amount of garbage that's accumulated. Windows itself has actually gotten faster since Windows 7, but the applications have grown in complexity and resource consumption.

The latter, however, is not something I can control. This box is about five years old. I bought it when my previous machine went toes up, and it was the best I could find on a Saturday night at a local big box store. It was my good fortune that they had something decent on the shelf. This time I have the leisure to pick and choose the components I want.
Go to: