Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How can this opacity technique be accomplished?
Ronk [Avatar]
Member Joined: Mar 06, 2011 17:35 Messages: 95 Offline
[Post New]
Does anyone know how to accomplish an effect similar to the attached clip from the movie Koyaanisqatsi?

https://vimeo.com/192724876

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Nov 22. 2016 21:14

Jets2011
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Sep 29, 2006 05:26 Messages: 760 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

Looks like you need to film a scence twice...without touching the camera or lighting. For example an empty restaurant and then later in the day when filled with guests and staff.

Then you put the empty clip on one track and the other on the second track...and adjust the opacitiy to get such an effect. Tables and things that are not moving should be clear like in the video.

Fun experiment. Maybe I'll try too.

Dave
Ronk [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hi,

Looks like you need to film a scence twice...without touching the camera or lighting. For example an empty restaurant and then later in the day when filled with guests and staff.

Then you put the empty clip on one track and the other on the second track...and adjust the opacitiy to get such an effect. Tables and things that are not moving should be clear like in the video.

Dave

Thank you, Dave.

It seems there are at least 2 or 3 tracks populated with people, one of them in reverse motion, besides the empty clip. I'm not sure how to adjust opacity with maybe four tracks. Perhaps with experimentation.

Ron
jerrys
Senior Contributor Location: New Britain, CT, USA (between New York and Boston) Joined: Feb 10, 2010 21:36 Messages: 1038 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi,

Dave

Thank you, Dave.

It seems there are at least 2 or 3 tracks populated with people, one of them in reverse motion, besides the empty clip. I'm not sure how to adjust opacity with maybe four tracks. Perhaps with experimentation.

Ron

I don't think you have to film the same scene twice. Except for the tables, I think everything is shadowed. You should be able to take a single clip and chop it up and move the pieces around, reverse it, and so forth.

I suspect you could get what you want using a blank background. The things that aren't moving at all would become pretty close to opaque if they were layered enough.

I just tried this with the sample clip Kite Surfing. I put one copy in track 2, another copy in track 3. I reversed the clip in track 3. I set the opacity of each clip to 50% to start, then I fiddled with them. Those two clips will give you the beginnings of the effect you want. More layers will probably get you closer. I put a colorboard (0,120,255) in track one to keep it from being too dark.

Because the background of that clip isn't stationary, it doesn't come out that well; but I think you get the idea. By using keyframes you can get the different clips to take prominence at different times.

Just for giggles, I put sunrise.jpg in track one. It layered in a nice effect.
Ronk [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hi,

Dave

Thank you, Dave.

Ron

I don't think you have to film the same scene twice. Except for the tables, I think everything is shadowed. You should be able to take a single clip and chop it up and move the pieces around, reverse it, and so forth.

I suspect you could get what you want using a blank background. The things that aren't moving at all would become pretty close to opaque if they were layered enough.

I just tried this with the sample clip Kite Surfing. I put one copy in track 2, another copy in track 3. I reversed the clip in track 3. I set the opacity of each clip to 50% to start, then I fiddled with them. Those two clips will give you the beginnings of the effect you want. More layers will probably get you closer. I put a colorboard (0,120,255) in track one to keep it from being too dark.

Because the background of that clip isn't stationary, it doesn't come out that well; but I think you get the idea. By using keyframes you can get the different clips to take prominence at different times.

Just for giggles, I put sunrise.jpg in track one. It layered in a nice effect.

Thanks for the advice. I know I can take one long shot with a camera in a fixed position and then divide that clip into shorter clips for mulitple tracks in the timeline.

What do you mean by "shadowed"? Is your test clip available for me to watch?
jerrys
Senior Contributor Location: New Britain, CT, USA (between New York and Boston) Joined: Feb 10, 2010 21:36 Messages: 1038 Offline
[Post New]

Thanks for the advice. I know I can take one long shot with a camera in a fixed position and then divide that clip into shorter clips for mulitple tracks in the timeline.

What do you mean by "shadowed"? Is your test clip available for me to watch?

I don't remember what I meant. I didn't produce my experiment, I just previewed it. I used one of the sample clips that comes with PD, so I figured you could duplicate the experiment pretty easily. Just follow what I did. The hard part was finding where to set the opacity of the clip. There are a couple of places you can do it, but I think the PIP editor is the easiest to find.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 28. 2016 19:26