Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Gadgets don't seem to work
jerrys
Senior Contributor Location: New Britain, CT, USA (between New York and Boston) Joined: Feb 10, 2010 21:36 Messages: 1038 Offline
[Post New]
All of the effects in YouCam 6 seem to work for me, with the exception of the gadgets. They worked with YouCam 5, but don't with YouCam 6.

There aren't that many things I could be doing wrong, so I'm stumped. I uninstalled and re-installed YouCam, and that didn't make any difference.

Suggestions? Jerry Schwartz
BB_H [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 25, 2012 03:26 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
All the gadgets effects are not working on YouCam6?

FYI:
Helpful tips

The following are some helpful tips to get the most out of the effects in CyberLink YouCam:

there should be adequate distance between your face and the webcam. At least 12 to 18 inches (30 - 45 cm).

once the effect is turned on, hold your head still for about 5 seconds so the software can properly calibrate and recognize your facial features.

a well-lit environment is required for the avatar effect to work properly.

for best results when using gadgets, ensure the video size is between 640x480. See Capture resolution in Camera Settings for more information.

Thanks for the advice.
Regards
jerrys
Senior Contributor Location: New Britain, CT, USA (between New York and Boston) Joined: Feb 10, 2010 21:36 Messages: 1038 Offline
[Post New]
BB_H,

Thanks for the tips. None of the gadgets were working reliably. Once in awhile a gadget would appear for a moment, but it would almost instantly disappear.

It looks like this is a lighting problem that is interfering with the facial recognition. In my case, one side of my face is lit more strongly than the other.

I stumbled on a fix: if I flip the image horizontally, so that the lighting appears to come from the other side, the gadgets work. Odd that the facial recognition is sensitive in that particular way, but there's no point in arguing with software.

Flipping the image also helps the avatars detect the movement of my lips.

Thanks.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 14. 2014 11:16

Jerry Schwartz
jacksonace [Avatar]
Member Joined: Nov 24, 2013 08:48 Messages: 54 Offline
[Post New]
Flipping the image also helps the avatars detect the movement of my lips.

Thanks for the tip. I can also confirm that this has been working at my end.
[Post New]
Quote All of the effects in YouCam 6 seem to work for me, with the exception of the gadgets. They worked with YouCam 5, but don't with YouCam 6.

There aren't that many things I could be doing wrong, so I'm stumped. I uninstalled and re-installed YouCam, and that didn't make any difference.

Suggestions?
Are you wearing spectacles by any chance, mine didn't work and I took of my glasses and everyone works fine?
jerrys
[Post New]
Quote Are you wearing spectacles by any chance, mine didn't work and I took of my glasses and everyone works fine?

Eyeglasses definitely don't help. I don't use facial recognition security on anything. Jerry Schwartz