Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDVD 8 build 2705 killed Blu Ray playback
James [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 08, 2009 04:16 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
Power DVD 8 Ultra 2705 now tells me that the Blu Ray disc in my drive has an unsupported format. Way to go on the testing Cyberlink.

I have uninstalled, re-installed, and re-patched. Same deal. Does anyone have a link to the previous patch so I can get this program working again?
James [Avatar]
[Post New]
Oh, wow. So, the blu ray format not supported error message in build 2705 is at least a step up from what happens when I insert a regular old DVD. When I do that, PowerDVD 8 Ultra 2705 just crashes.

Vista SP1, btw.

With tech support taking this long, Cyberlink needs to realize it is alienating a once satisfied customer. Oh yeah, the "upgrade to PowerDVD 9" message isn't something I'm willing to consider at all at this point.
Jets2011
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Sep 29, 2006 05:26 Messages: 760 Offline
[Post New]
Hi James,

The patch might not be the cause of this issue. After you install the patches, ensure that you also upgrade all of your graphics card drivers and firmware.

From my experiences and what I know, they sometimes all go together and must all be upgraded at the same time. It is the insanely vigilant Blu-ray Disc protection mechanisms, not CyberLink...usually.

Hope that helps
Dave
James [Avatar]
[Post New]
No joy. All the drivers for my Dell Inspiron 1720 are current. Even checked the graphics driver. All good on the current drivers front.

Just so you know, I'm not a numbnut, either. I'm an experienced Windows device driver developer.

PowerDVD 8 Ultra build 2705 is still a brick for me. It'd be nice if they posted a link for the previous build version so I can actually watch my latest rentals.
James W
Senior Contributor Location: Lakeland, FL USA Joined: Aug 18, 2008 10:36 Messages: 911 Offline
[Post New]
I don't use PowerDVD, but I do use Cyberlink's power director software. From my experience it is always a good idea to save your previous update installation file. Cyberlink released an update for PD back in January which broke one of its most useful features, magic motion. Luckily I saved the previous build release so I could go back. I agree with you that they should keep previous build releases on the update page for this very reason.

good luck Q9300 2.5 GHz
4 GB Ram
Nvidia 9800 GT
Alan.Wright [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 10, 2009 10:28 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
I'm having the same problem. 'Upgraded' to 2705 and Bluray playback hangs after a few seconds. Going to try reverting to 2521 release - my original which used to work fine.

Uninstalled 2705 upgrade and reinstalled 2521. Gets a wee bit further but still crashes! Great...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 10. 2009 11:53

James [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yeah, I'm usually hording release updates on my machine. For some reason, I must have deleted it. Go figure.

I'd REALLY love to go back to build 2521, which worked terrific for me.

I've gone an rechecked my drivers, even applied the most recent DirectX update from MS. I just don't get it. What a horrible update.

Cyberlink support finally got back to me (only took 3 days to get to the support ticket) and refused to answer my question until I supplied proof of my purchase. Nevermind that all they had to do was review my support ticket history and see that I had supplied one the last time I had an issue with their product. Regardless, I sent a copy of my invoice to them, and I'm now on day 2 since that happened. Maybe they'll choose to help me now? Horrible support. Having worked for one, I'm all for giving software companies the benefit of the doubt when it comes to bad releases, but this level of support is ridiculous.

Alan.Wright [Avatar]
[Post New]
As i say, I have gone back to 2521 but it's now broken too!
This whole issue is ridiculous. From the forums it looks like PowerDVD 9 is even worse.

Wonder what they'll try to fix first??
James [Avatar]
[Post New]
This issue still isn't resolved. Tech support is about the slowest I've seen, and has requested my proof of purchase twice in the process. Submitted it both times, and now, instead of getting another response to again prove that I paid for their software, Cyberlink has just stopped replying. Looking at this forum and seeing how widespread the complaints are about the latest updates for most versions of PowerDVD, I'm not surprised.

Either Cyberlink is apathetic, or severely understaffed. Either way, they cannot expect to have a lot of return business without at least acknowledging that they're working on the problem.

If someone knows where I can download the previous build update patch, please let me know. I must have deleted it from my system for some strange reason.
Alan.Wright [Avatar]
[Post New]
I installed a trial of Arcsoft's Total Media Theatre 3 and it works a treat! Looks like if Cyberlink can't get their act together, users will just go elsewhere. Pitty they have been the leader for so long but loosing the plot now.
the Jimbo [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 15, 2009 20:56 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
"the Jimbo" here. Got same lock-up as others with all my BLU RAY discs after installing patch 2705. Prior patch dated 12/20/2008 was OK. My graphics driver is up to date ( for nVidia GTX 280 ) and my firmware is OK ( my device is LITEON-IT model DH-4B1S ).

Cyberlink tech support sent me a "help" message that caused me lots of grief. Had me screw-up my registry, and they gave me an expired username and password to access an intermediate patch. Never got to it !

So, I uninstalled POWER DVD 8 ultra, rebotted, then re-installed POWER DVD 8, then re-applied patch dated 12/20/2008, with filename = CyberLink.2217aU_TaRe38_DVD081201-06.exe
My BLU RAY discs play OK now. P.S. I skipped "Moovielive" install.

Was lucky to have saved patch 2217. Did not see it anywhere on the CYBERLINK patch list ever since 2705 came out.

Sent 2 more messages to tech support, notifying them of my "fix", asking them "... is patch 2705 needed", and they did not answer.

Maybe CYBERLINK is hoping we all get so frustrated that we'll buy POWER DVD 9 ! Good luck to that !

I have pretty much given up trying to get help from CYBERLINK tech support, and I must concur with others that I will not buy another CYBERLINK product.

Am shopping for different reliable software (BLU RAY burner/player and other media, DVD'sand CD's) with responsive tech support that knows their product and has tested it on more than one BLU RAY player.
the Jimbo
Andrey [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 19, 2009 19:10 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
I have a version 2021 installed. Update to 2217, 2217a, 2705 is not play BD for me. The "Get latest update for PowerDVD 8 Ultra" directed me to the 2021 download page.

CyberLink.2217aU_TaRe38_DVD081201-06.exe

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 19. 2009 19:35

Andrey [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 19, 2009 19:10 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Was lucky to have saved patch 2217. Did not see it anywhere on the CYBERLINK patch list ever since 2705 came out.

Look at the FAQ "After upgrading to the latest version, I receive the 0110 error code during Blu-rau Disc playback. What should I do? "
Raymond [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 22, 2008 21:45 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
I just downloaded the new patch and my dvd crashes on startup.Hope someone gets this problem fixed
James [Avatar]
[Post New]
Amazing responses from Cyberlink so far on my issues. Their suggested steps to fix the problem still didn't resolve anything. I wrote back and told them I was still left with a brick of a product, and it has been almost a week now without a response.

Congrats, Cyberlink... you've lost another customer.
JJPower [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 21, 2009 22:34 Messages: 47 Offline
[Post New]
After having a totally disastrous experience with a previous update, I have learned my lesson.
STAY AWAY from future updates, until you are SURE the bugs have been worked out.
The last update for my PowerDVD Ultra 8 crashed my entire program and made it useless.
Had to contact support, and go through an AGONIZING wait period to get a link to the previous working version.
It pays to visit and read the update reviews and comments before deciding to give it a try.
More times than not, you will be SORRY if you update your Cyberlink build to the newest version.
CardinalFang [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 18, 2009 23:15 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
After updating 8 Ultra to 2705, I thought it was working, but then I realized that most of my blus would freeze at some point, usually prior to the main menu (dvds worked fine). After uninstalling the program completely and reinstalling patch 2217, I began getting the disc in drive has an invalid format error. This would aways occur after PDVD tried to force me to update to the latest version even though I said no.

For all those of you who had trouble reverting to 2217, here's what worked for me:

1) uninstall PowerDVD and reboot

2) After installing your original, unpatched powerdvd, try to play a blu ray . Ideally this would be an old disc that works even with the unpatched powerdvd, but I used a newer one that pdvd couldn't load the main menu on. It still helped initialize the system.

3) After doing that, when I applied the 2217 patch, started pdvd and tried to play a disc, I said "No" to the auto-update prompt and blu ray playback was WORKING again.

Hope this helps somebody. I know I'm not touching any futher updates at this point.

2217 patch for those who need it:

http://update.cyberlink.com/ftpdload/patch/powerdvd/8/CyberLink.2217aU_TaRe38_DVD081201-06.exe

My system: Vista Ultimate x64, two optical drives. Drive E is a dvd burner, drive F is the blu drive. This sort of system seems to confuse pdvd the worst (64-bit and having two drives, it goes nuts with updates).

James [Avatar]
[Post New]
I noticed update to build 2815 today and decided I'd see if their new patch fixed the problems I described above. Apparently, Cyberlink has improved upon its bug creation capabilities! With build 2815, Power DVD 8 Ultra crashes not long after I start the app up - with or without a disc in the drive.

Nice job, Cyberlink. Not only have you not addressed any issues, you've made them worse.

Reverted to my last functioning build version, and everything's fine again.