Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDVD 9 launched
CyberLink [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 09, 2006 21:50 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
PowerDVD 9 launched. Check it out at http://www.cyberlink.com/products/movie-playback/powerdvd/overview_en_US.html.
Robinson [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 04, 2007 18:07 Messages: 34 Offline
[Post New]
And all potential buyers should know that the same issues with the lastest patch for PDVD 8 have transferred nicely to this new version. 5 mins after install and the support ticket is in.

Oh and make sure you note that 7.1 DTS-HD audio is now in an add on pack, so they have effectively taken functionality away from this release.

Way to go Cyberlink!

JJPower [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 21, 2009 22:34 Messages: 47 Offline
[Post New]
I am considering upgrading to PowerDVD Ultra 9, but am somewhat reluctant.
Robison, can you tell us what issues are you experiencing?
Is it the same problem with the antivirus false alarm, or something else?
Is the add on pack for 7.1 DTS-HD an additional expense?

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Mar 02. 2009 10:22

Robinson [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: I am considering upgrading to PowerDVD Ultra 9, but am somewhat reluctant.
Robison, can you tell us what issues are you experiencing?
Is it the same problem with the antivirus false alarm, or something else?
Is the add on pack for 7.1 DTS-HD an additional expense?

It doesn't register codecs properly so, in my case, the audio config is greyed out, the BD region info is greyed out, it doesn't play BD discs, crashes with divx or avi files. The list goes on but one specific codec CLADT.ax will not register, despite working in other versions.

What annoys me is they know this is an issue with v8 and they still release it and I know there are a lot of people with this problem.

And the add in pack I am sure is an additional expense but I can't find it on the site.
JJPower [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 21, 2009 22:34 Messages: 47 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:

It doesn't register codecs properly so, in my case, the audio config is greyed out, the BD region info is greyed out, it doesn't play BD discs, crashes with divx or avi files. The list goes on but one specific codec CLADT.ax will not register, despite working in other versions.

What annoys me is they know this is an issue with v8 and they still release it and I know there are a lot of people with this problem.

And the add in pack I am sure is an additional expense but I can't find it on the site.

I JUST DON"T GET IT?
This thread should be starting out with HIGH praises for this new PowerDVD 9 release.
Instead, all I have seen are PowerDVD 9 customers with a multitude of problems and issues.
This goes for this forum and others.
You would think Cyberlink would have had these major problems worked out before the official launch. I can understand some problems arising with a new version launch, but there should be more HAPPY SATISFIED POWERDVD 9 CUSTOMERS, than NOT!! This doesn't seem to be the case from what I have seen.
I can only hope Cyberlink will get it together, and give us a working error & bug free PowerDVD 9 version.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Mar 02. 2009 18:25

Kastl [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 18, 2007 22:34 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:

Same here. Sound greyed out, BD region greyed out, Video settings crash.
It doesn't even play DVDs for me. Did you manage to let it do anything useful at all?
[Post New]
What is this "DTS-HD* (7.1 channels)" asterisk garbage? With "* Only available via Advanced Audio Pack" being the footnote?

What the heck is this???!!! We who buy the ULTRA is because it is what it claims. It's the Ultra version that contains everything. Whose bright marketing idea was this?

With all the problems with version 8 and pathetically some of those have migrated to v9, you'd think as a "thank you" they'd at a minimum keep the same features. It seems every time I install a patch a problem crops up and I have to uninstall everything and start from scratch.

How about this for an add-on pack? How about I send you a bill for all the hours I've wasted because your updates are riddeled with problems? What a joke!
Robinson [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote:

Same here. Sound greyed out, BD region greyed out, Video settings crash.
It doesn't even play DVDs for me. Did you manage to let it do anything useful at all?

Try modifying MSCONFIG to not Load Startup Items, reboot and try it again. Then what I did was to go through all apps couple at a time to find the offending one. Turns out it doesn't like DVD region free.
Tup3x [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 21, 2009 15:55 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
Worst thing ever released from CyberLink. Far from the great PDVD4.
spcav [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 03, 2009 08:06 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
Some ISO’s indeed don’t work (not all of them).

I cannot get anything else than stereo using my 4870 HDMI card in Vista 32 (works in PDVD 7/8 ).

I think that DTS HD Master Audio was never there. Don’t mind what PDVD 8 Ultra mentioned in the specs.

I run several tests with PDVD 8 Ultra and concluded that DTS MA decoding is not working (and most probably we are still being served good old DTS CORE).

This is verified from other sources.

This is obviously the reason why DTS HD Master Audio support was ‘removed’ from PDVD 9.

We are paying for the 3rd time (v 7, 8 and 9) for approx the same product (we still don’t know if bitstream will work with Auzentech card – no info in specs).

After buying PDVD 7 – 8 – 9 (all Ultra), I tried my best not to say this but: Way to go Cyberlink!

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Mar 03. 2009 09:14

thebasa [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 03, 2009 11:08 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
okay i might've missed something but remote control of the media center ui seems totally messed up.

1. the only way i can find to open the mce player's settings menu is to hit Info which of course also loads mce's info menu over the top. hitting Back cancels the latter and then you can use it. lame.

2. when moving the mouse during playback you get a nice mini control player on the bottom right. I've not been able to bring this up with anything on the remote. (wouldn't really need this if full settings were available in mce interface, major thing here is getting to full audio and truetheater settings)

3. i tested with The Fifth Element blu-ray. this disc has a setting for turning on the Fact Track which displays info like popup video. During playback, any of ff, rw or track skip back or forward turns this off or stops displaying it, and you have to navigate the menu back to turn it On, even though the menu says it's already On when you navigate back.

4. hitting audio settings in the mce player's settings interface makes the button flash and then does nothing.

if there's some cyberlink document about the new mce interface for remotes that i've missed please let me know.

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at Mar 03. 2009 11:20