Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >

That's basically what masking does. It completely removes everything outside the masked area and you can replace that with whatever your intended background will be.

Chroma keying the small remaining area near the person's head will let you blend in the new background all the way up to their hair, and that's where the keyframing of the mask comes into play as you'll probably need to tweak its poistion, the feathering and maybe its shape to keep things looking smooth.

Ok. Totally point-taken, in that I'll buy a better bg next time/or come up with a better one. Cool. Totally right, understood.

As far as this time: I am finding that this "Triangle" mask eats up a BIG chunk of nearly *ALL* the purple. So right now, I'm trying to find a certain combination of three Chroma Key shades of purple, in this video, that will not mess up this subject's skin/teeth/eyeballs, as I go through--*AFTER* taking out this big bite as Step 1 with the Triangle Mask. I feel like I'm like 90% "there" with this approach *this time*, if that makes sense..? So let me ask this:

So do you recommend that with these three "bites" I'm trying to take with 3 Chroma keys (I'm using PowerDirector 17 64-Bit), should I pick those shades closest to the head of the person, in taking these last three "Bites", with these 3 Chroma Keys? Would that be the best? Again--I realize the "best" thing is the better bg, but I am committed on this one, honestly, I'm not going to re-shoot this. And I can actually live with a little purple as a bg coming through, honestly--I don't mind if it has a home-brewn twist/feel at least a little bit. That's acceptable, for this particular video. What I DON'T want is too many stupid-flashing 4x4s or 16x16s (as I intend to produce this 4k) .

Optodata - thanks for the suggestions, I'll give those a whirl. Let me ask--I know this following question is definitely apples-and-oranges because I'm comparing with still-images in photoshop; but is there anyway to, like, do some sort of a "Selection", whereby I can select the person in the video, then sort of use a "Select Inverse", and then that way, the Chroma Key applies to only stuff in the selection (leaving the person in the video untouched by Chroma key) ?

And I *will* say, the person does not have a ton of movement, throughout this 3-ish/4-ish minute video.
Quote Thanks very much for the screenshot and the detailed description.

Short answer, there's no way to get rid of that background by chroma keying. It has way too many color gradients, shadows and wrinkles. For next time, spend the money and get a proper green screen that is a single sheet of perfectly smooth, solid color. Make sure you light it correctly to avoid all shadows as well. The more time and effort you put into prepping you shot, the easier your editing in post is going to be.

Since you've got the work with the existing situation, your best bet is to use a custom mask around the person's head.

You may want to use a brush mask and set the feathering to make the best transition from the clear parts to masked-off area. You'll also need 1 or 2 chroma keys to remove as much of the remaining background as possible near the person's head.

This will be pretty straightforward if the person doesn't make a lot of movement, otherwise you'll need to use keyframing to try and tweak the mask postion (and maybe even shape) in the right place as the clip progresses.

There are many tutorial videos on YouTube, here on the forum and in the Cyberlink Learning Center that will help you learn to use masks and keyframes effectively. You can also click on the Watch Tutorial pop-up when you open the Mask Designer or click on the "?" near the top right of PD's main window and search the online help page for more info.

Optodata - thanks for the suggestions, I'll give those a whirl. Let me ask--I know this following question is definitely apples-and-oranges because I'm comparing with still-images in photoshop; but is there anyway to, like, do some sort of a "Selection", whereby I can select the person in the video, then sort of use a "Select Inverse", and then that way, the Chroma Key applies to only stuff in the selection (leaving the person in the video untouched by Chroma key) ?
Hi,

I'm definitely not an expert, but need help with Chroma Key, in getting rid of a purple background for a video I am trying to finish right now. Please view this image so you can see what I'm talking about:

https://www.ktravisj.com/bg.jpg

Recently, on another project, I've done a great video where I was in front of a green screen. I did the Chroma Key, and it found all the green, and got rid of it, and published that video and it was awesome.

However, for this video I am trying to finish now, look at that image to which I linked above. Notice how that purple sheet I used as a background has multiple "shades" of purple, I guess you could say..? Anyway, I'm trying to apply a Chroma Key such that it will COMPLETELY get rid of the Purple (in all shades), such that another .JPG room background can shine through as my background.

But it seems like whether

1) I put ONE Chroma Key and set it to the purple and try the two "Color Range" and "Denoise" sliders, or

2) if I try setting multiple Chroma Keys, whereby I try different "shades" of the purple, and then also try the two "Color Range" and "Denoise" sliders,

it doesn't really come out right because the final video sort of starts making the colors within my eyeballs weird, sometimes it may find some of my skin and put a "Hole", etc. etc. It's just not 100% right, and I'm guessing you probably know what I mean. I need

1) all purple gone,
2) all of my skin/shirt/ and my head all intact 100%,
3) and my new .JPG room background shining through as my background.

I'm aware I'm just a beginner at Chroma Key and stuff, but I wanted to ask about any strategies I can use to completely get rid of this purple, and end up getting all of the purple sheet completely gone, such that my other .JPG file that I have set on Track 1 can come throughand be my new permanent background in my final video.
Hi,

I'm definitely not an expert, but need help with Chroma Key, in getting rid of a purple background for a video I am trying to finish right now. Please view this image so you can see what I'm talking about:

https://www.ktravisj.com/bg.jpg

Recently, on another project, I've done a great video where I was in front of a green screen. I did the Chroma Key, and it found all the green, and got rid of it, and published that video and it was awesome.

However, for this video I am trying to finish now, look at that image to which I linked above. Notice how that purple sheet I used as a background has multiple "shades" of purple, I guess you could say..? Anyway, I'm trying to apply a Chroma Key such that it will COMPLETELY get rid of the Purple (in all shades), such that another .JPG room background can shine through as my background.

But it seems like whether

1) I put ONE Chroma Key and set it to the purple and try the two "Color Range" and "Denoise" sliders, or

2) if I try setting multiple Chroma Keys, whereby I try different "shades" of the purple, and then also try the two "Color Range" and "Denoise" sliders,

it doesn't really come out right because the final video sort of starts making the colors within my eyeballs weird, sometimes it may find some of my skin and put a "Hole", etc. etc. It's just not 100% right, and I'm guessing you probably know what I mean. I need

1) all purple gone,
2) all of my skin/shirt/ and my head all intact 100%,
3) and my new .JPG room background shining through as my background.

I'm aware I'm just a beginner at Chroma Key and stuff, but I wanted to ask about any strategies I can use to completely get rid of this purple, and end up getting all of the purple sheet completely gone, such that my other .JPG file that I have set on Track 1 can come throughand be my new permanent background in my final video.
Quote That's a perfectly good plan.

The best way to prepare for this is to produce your intermediate clips to the same output profile you're going to use for the final version. If you're unsure of which one to use, use the Profile Analyzer on the Produce page with just one of your source clips on the timeline (disable or remove all other timeline content). Look for Best Matched Format, and ideally there will also be a match for SVRT.

If you're able to use SVRT when creating the full video, it's not only very fast but it also doesn't re-encode your already-produced clips so there's zero quality loss.

You can see if SVRT is available by placing your first produced clip on the timeline and typing Alt+S to show the SVRT track. If it's green above the clip, you can use SVRT for the final version.

According to this discussion, there was an issue with PD17's SVRT feature that was eventually resolved with a patch, so make sure you're running build 3005. You can download it from here if needed.

@optodata - thanks for giving me things to chew on, and introducing me to the concept of SVRT. I've got a decent phone with which I've shot the video; and I've got a decent Laptop; and so within my PD17, I really go for the gold and in the "Produce" tab, go for the H.264 AVC, and choose MPEG-4 4K 4096x2160 30/p. At least,, I *think* that's the most powerhouse format that my "Produce" tab allows.
Quote Assuming that the background is stationary, the easiest thing to do is to take a screenshot and place that on a lower track from your main clip and background.

Use a mask with feathered edges placed right where the outlet is, then drag the screen position of the screenshot clip so that a clean green area fill the masked area.

Make sure you set the duration of the masking clip to last for the entire length of your video. You may need to chroma-key that clip separately.

@optodata - that makes sense, I think I see what you're saying.

And then, since I've got four other clips where I use this green-screen, and eventually I'm gonna combine all of these into one, master, .mp4 file, you think there's any harm if I sort of "Produce" this first clip with that solution you had in mind, and then sort of import that newly-produced vdeo file into the finalized "master clip", where I'll have several of these videos? Do projects suffer a quality loss, or anything like that, if producing and re-importing a clip like that every time..? Or, you think that's a perfecctly valid thing to do?
Just thought I'd re-state my statement another way:

I have a white object on the green-screen, so when I apply the Chroma Key, it successfully gets rid of the green-screen, but still leaves the random white-color object. any idea on how I could overcome this?
Hello,

I have a one-minute clip, and in the first 5 seconds of it, there's audio of me asking a question. But I want to re-do just the audio part of that. How do I sort of "mute-out" that first 5 seconds of the "real" audio that is a part of the video, and, essentially, insert a "new" 5-seconds of a new audio file that I'll record [where I'll ask the question better]?

@Philwild - Thanks a ton for the information.

Can anyone else help me out on the whole Background issue? Are there certain packs of Background files that, perhaps, CyberLink or some third-party sells..? Should one just simply use some sort of general JPG or PNG as a Background..? Just interested in what some of y'all do..?

Also I have another question--so, I got the Chroma Key thing working well, to remove the green-screen. It's working great.

But I have this random little white power-outlet that is on the green-screen wall, still showing. Any advice on things I can do to eliminate that..? Is there a way I can sort of "Stretch" down some of the green-screen, and, essentially "overwrite" or "cover" that little white rectangle power-outlet to just being a green part of the wall?
(I'm thinking in terms of/using methodology from Photoshop, if I was working on a static image instead of a .mp4 video; sorry if my terminology or thinking is clunky)
Quote I don't know about your last question.

But as to the greenscreen question you put the background on track 1 and your clip on track 2.

Double click on your clip to open the PIP designer, choose chroma key from the properties tab and use the pipette choose the green screen. The green will be replaced by the background.

@Philwild - Thanks a ton for the information.

Can anyone else help me out on the whole Background issue? Are there certain packs of Background files that, perhaps, CyberLink or some third-party sells..? Should one just simply use some sort of general JPG or PNG as a Background..? Just interested in what some of y'all do..?
Hello,

I am shooting a quick video, tomorrow, where myself and a client will be sitting/standing with a "Green-Screen" around us.

Once I import this video into my PowerDirector 17 Ultimate, how do I replace the Green-Screen that will be in our video with a Background of some sort? And, are there packages I can purchase for more Background options for my Power Director 17 Version 17.0.3005.0 ?
Hi all,

Got a client who shot an hour-long "walk-through" video, walking through new structures of a campus.

We thought it'd be a cool idea to "speed-up" certain sections of the video, as we're anticipating people will not sit and watch an hour-long video.

So right now, Iv'e got one .mp4 file I would import into PowerDirector 17 Ultimate 's Storyboard mode.

If I wanted to "Speed-up" various sections, what would the best tools be to do that?

1) Can I just highlight certain time-stamped sections as sort of a "start-point" and "end-point", and then within that selected portion, "speed it up"; and then move on down the line and choose another "start-point" and "end-point" and speed up that porion, etc. etc. on down the line? What's the specific Tool I would use to "speed it up", on a highlighted portion like that?

Or,

2) Is it adviseable to, at that point, chop this .mp4 file into different clips that are sitting on different lines, and then make those certain segments on an entire line "sped-up", and on down the line? Again, if this is the best way, what specific Tool would I use to do that?

God bless.
People may not care a *whole lot*, but, since I made several topics here at these forums about how to do certain things in Power Director 17, all for the purpose of my churning out this first video I've ever end-to-end and completed, I've finished this first-video-ever of mine, and it's here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fE-yZkyQp4g

God bless!

--TravisJ
While I understand that people may not care a *whole lot*, but, since I made several topics here at these forums about how to do certain things in Power Director 17, all for the purpose of my churning out this first video I've ever end-to-end and completed, I've finished this first-video-ever of mine, and it's here:

God bless!

--TravisJ
I know that people may not care a *whole lot*, but, since I made several topics here at these forums about how to do certain things in Power Director 17, all for the purpose of my churning out this first video I've ever end-to-end and completed, I've finished this first-video-ever of mine, and it's here:

God bless!

--TravisJ
I got it figured out--it just defaults to a black box around the clip that's Portrait-mode, and that's just fine.
I'm about to produce a final movie in Power Director that is made up of about 7 or 8 clips, total. They were all shot with a phone.

All of the clips except for one were shot in Landscape mode--that is, phone turned horizontal.

What am I going to need to do for the one clip that is in Portrait mode (turned upright/normal) to sort of "fit it" into the Timeline of the rest of the way that the clips will all flow, as they'll all be eventuall combined into one finalized movie?

God bless.
Whenever I try to drag the Mosaic effect onto the overall clip, it sort of puts me a Chooser over the ENTIRE video, and the re-sizing handles at that point are seeming to make me resize the entire video frame, and not some just little Mosaic blur I want to put on a little part of the video after dragging it onto the clip.

I'll probably try that produce-at-that-point method, because there are a couple of the blurs that will be in large portions of the video-clip for that entire video-clip.
@optodata: Ok, that is helping me understand a bit better. So, in this case, for this project, I do need to utilize the inserting-into-individual-clips" method rather than the use-up-all-my-fx-tracks because I have so many spots where I need blurs.

Now, this having been said, my ignorance is showing again, because:

I am having good luck, one-by-one, using that "Tools >> Motion Tracker" method to insert Mosaic blur effects into individual areas of this on clip as I need.

But from what you were saying, I can insert a Mosaic blur on certain parts of clips without having to use the "Motion Tracker" method?

Like, after I've put about five Mosaic blurs using the Tools >> Motion Tracker method about which we've been talking, whenever I do what you say where I click "Effect" button above the timeline, I see those "Mosaic "effects listed there, yeah, with the ^ , ^ , - buttons there. But were you saying there's a way to add the Mosaic effect this way without using the Tools >> Motion Tracker route? Like, a 6th, 7th, 8th, Mosaic blur in this way rather than adding a new one with the Tools >> Motion Tracker method? I'm trying different things to add one in a way other than the Tools >> Motion Tracker method I used to insert the first five, but I keep running up against a wall. Is it that I add it onto its own, new "VIDEO TRACK", and add a Mosaic Blur that way? That's not seeming to work (I guess they are different kinds of elements so shouldn't work that way). Whenever I try to drag the Mosaic effect onto the overall clip, it sort of puts me a Chooser over the ENTIRE video, and the re-sizing handles at that point are seeming to make me resize the entire video frame, and not some just little Mosaic blur I want to put on a little part of the video after dragging it onto the clip.
This may be an ignorance-in-terminology thing on my part since I am still a beginning user, but what is the difference between

1) applying fx to my clip individually

2) having fx on fx-tracks.

that you're saying?

Because for instance, it's a blur, about which I am talking, as the fx I've put 5 of, in this project, in accordance with a video that this forum-member @StevenG made here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzKTcbPGLUM where he explained a way to do a "blur" for content in a video with the "Mosaic" effect. And so that is what I did. He also says there is a "Manual way" and an "Automatic way", with doing the blurring; and what I'm doing here is in accordance with what he calls the "Manual" way, where I use the "Mosaic" fx, use a Mask and whatnot, where I set up the a specific area where the blur(s) land/lands. But as I said, I've got several pieces of text/names and stuff, thorughout this particular clip, that are located on different areas on the page (I did a screen-cap to capture this particular clip) , and so I've needed several blurs in several spots.

Is what you mean with the "applying fx directly to a clip" different than having a specific fx-track? Like, for instance, in that https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzKTcbPGLUM video I shared a moment ago, about blurring, the second method, what he called the "Automatic method", he selected the clip in its track, went to "Tools >> Motion Tracker" , and applied a Mosaic that way. This method does not use up an fx-track?

Just trying to think through the best way to accomplish this blurring of several spots in my clip.

Right now, this project consists of two video clips side-by-side. The first clip needs no blurring. But then the second clip does need several blurring, throughout several different sections of the screen, as the video progresses. But ultimately, this video project is probably going to total about 5-6 total different clips, and I can already see how 2 or 3 of those clips are all going to need different blurrings at different locations at different times, and it will likely be more than five of them--like, I'll need more than five instances of a blur effect.

So, should I just figure on this second method, which he called the "Automatic method", in that https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzKTcbPGLUM video, be the way I do these blurrings, just because I may need so many?
Go to: