Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Sorry to post a 2nd time in the newer software, but Chroma Key question
TravisJ [Avatar]
Member Joined: Apr 12, 2019 21:02 Messages: 57 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

I'm definitely not an expert, but need help with Chroma Key, in getting rid of a purple background for a video I am trying to finish right now. Please view this image so you can see what I'm talking about:

https://www.ktravisj.com/bg.jpg

Recently, on another project, I've done a great video where I was in front of a green screen. I did the Chroma Key, and it found all the green, and got rid of it, and published that video and it was awesome.

However, for this video I am trying to finish now, look at that image to which I linked above. Notice how that purple sheet I used as a background has multiple "shades" of purple, I guess you could say..? Anyway, I'm trying to apply a Chroma Key such that it will COMPLETELY get rid of the Purple (in all shades), such that another .JPG room background can shine through as my background.

But it seems like whether

1) I put ONE Chroma Key and set it to the purple and try the two "Color Range" and "Denoise" sliders, or

2) if I try setting multiple Chroma Keys, whereby I try different "shades" of the purple, and then also try the two "Color Range" and "Denoise" sliders,

it doesn't really come out right because the final video sort of starts making the colors within my eyeballs weird, sometimes it may find some of my skin and put a "Hole", etc. etc. It's just not 100% right, and I'm guessing you probably know what I mean. I need

1) all purple gone,
2) all of my skin/shirt/ and my head all intact 100%,
3) and my new .JPG room background shining through as my background.

I'm aware I'm just a beginner at Chroma Key and stuff, but I wanted to ask about any strategies I can use to completely get rid of this purple, and end up getting all of the purple sheet completely gone, such that my other .JPG file that I have set on Track 1 can come throughand be my new permanent background in my final video.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 29. 2021 20:18

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
This video screenshot looks like that it is a good candidate for using the motion mask in ColorDirector to isolate the subject from the background. You may want to download the trial to see if it works for you.
TravisJ [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote This video screenshot looks like that it is a good candidate for using the motion mask in ColorDirector to isolate the subject from the background. You may want to download the trial to see if it works for you.

May I use this with Power Director 17 64-Bit? That's what I'm using now. Must I pay for this? Or, where's a download link?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 29. 2021 23:14

TravisJ [Avatar]
[Post New]

May I use this with Power Director 19? That's what I'm using now. Must I pay for this? Or, where's a download link?

@tomasc - scratch that, I have just downloaded it. How do I use it oin accordance with my Power Director 19? Is it it own separate program? Is it available to be used "within" Power Director 19..? How do I use it for this case, particularly/specifically?
TravisJ [Avatar]
[Post New]

@tomasc - scratch that, I have just downloaded it. How do I use it oin accordance with my Power Director 19? Is it it own separate program? Is it available to be used "within" Power Director 19..? How do I use it for this case, particularly/specifically?

@tomasc - I downloaded it onto my computer, installed it onto my computer. Now, when I run the program, I get a dialogue box that's asking

"Sign in to continue"

And two fields, for

Password

And well, I am TRYING this same e-mail address and password with which I use to log into these forums, which is the same e-mail address and password I used to originally purchase my CyberLink Power Director 17 64-Bit, and, like I say, what I use to log into these forums; but this black dialog box doesn't move. It just sits there and puts a little red-border around the "Email" field, (where it wants me to input my e-mail address) , and doesn't give any indication of moving forward..? What's the deal..? I have no idea how to launch this program obviously. What's the problem? Do you need a screenshot?

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Oct 29. 2021 23:13

TravisJ [Avatar]
[Post New]

@tomasc - I downloaded it onto my computer, installed it onto my computer. Now, when I run the program, I get a dialogue box that's asking

"Sign in to continue"

And two fields, for

Password

And well, I am TRYING this same e-mail address and password with which I use to log into these forums, which is the same e-mail address and password I used to originally purchase my CyberLink Power Director 17 64-Bit, and, like I say, what I use to log into these forums; but this black dialog box doesn't move. It just sits there and puts a little red-border around the "Email" field, (where it wants me to input my e-mail address) , and doesn't give any indication of moving forward..? What's the deal..? I have no idea how to launch this program obviously. What's the problem? Do you need a screenshot?

Sorry for previous confusion - I am using Power Director 17 64-Bit.
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
I believe that you entered your email to download that ColorDirector. Maybe someone else can help as I can’t see your screen. Any email and any password you choose should work on the ColorDirector. Maybe the password need to be at least 8 characters long, include an upper case and number, etc. Things have changed since PD17, 3 years ago.

You need to close your PD17, 19, or 20. After installing the ColorDirector you can restart PD with your project. Highlight that purple background clip on the timeline. Click the Fix/Enhance button and click the ColorDirector button. ColorDirector opens. Choose the motion tracking mask. Here are some help files: https://help.cyberlink.com/stat/help/colordirector/10/enu/06_02_06_motion_tracking.html?q=motion+tracking+mask .

Hit the big Back button on the top left to get back to PowerDirector after you are finished with ColorDirector.

You may want to search this forum for help on ColorDirector and see some tutorisls too.
TravisJ [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I believe that you entered your email to download that ColorDirector. Maybe someone else can help as I can’t see your screen. Any email and any password you choose should work on the ColorDirector. Maybe the password need to be at least 8 characters long, include an upper case and number, etc. Things have changed since PD17, 3 years ago.

You need to close your PD17, 19, or 20. After installing the ColorDirector you can restart PD with your project. Highlight that purple background clip on the timeline. Click the Fix/Enhance button and click the ColorDirector button. ColorDirector opens. Choose the motion tracking mask. Here are some help files: https://help.cyberlink.com/stat/help/colordirector/10/enu/06_02_06_motion_tracking.html?q=motion+tracking+mask .

Hit the big Back button on the top left to get back to PowerDirector after you are finished with ColorDirector.

You may want to search this forum for help on ColorDirector and see some tutorisls too.

@tomasc - hold on, here's a screenshot, about to post it:
TravisJ [Avatar]
[Post New]

@tomasc - hold on, here's a screenshot, about to post it:

@tomasc - here's 2 screenshots of what I see:

So on the first screen, note I see the tab for "ColorDirector", so I click it.

On that second screen, that's the endless loop. Yes, I completedly exited out of all my Cyberlink programs, and rebooted my system, and then got to these two screens. What I'm saying is, that when I enter my e-mail address that is my e-mail address that I used to initially purchase my full Power Director 17 64-Bit that I use now, and this same e-mail and password I use for these very forums; whenever I try to enter those two into the two fields like I am supposed to, it's like the Operating System doesn't even recognize that I have entered anything into the e-mail address field. And yes, I am aware that on the screenshot 2 I showed you, above, the fields are empty. But what I am telling you is that even when I *HAVE* filled-in both the "E-mail" field, and the "Password" field, there's a red "focus" border around "Email" as if I have not entered-in anything. And if you can tell, the "Sign in" button is somewhat grayed-out, *EVEN WHEN I HAVE INPUT BOTH E-MAIL AND PASSWORD INTO THEIR RESPECTIVE FIELDS". What's going on? This is incredibly frustrating. The operating sytem is acting like it "can't tell" I've entered-in an e-mail address at all, because there's the red "Focus" border around "E-Mail", even after I've entered it.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Oct 30. 2021 00:02

tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the screenshots.

It looks like that after you enter your email and password, there is a big blue rectangular Sign in button that you have to click with the mouse to get rid of that screen.

If that is not it then click the Quick Registration blue button shown in that screenshot. You can always just wait for a different answer from others that may see something else that may be the issue.
TravisJ [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Thanks for the screenshots.

It looks like that after you enter your email and password, there is a big blue rectangular Sign in button that you have to click with the mouse to get rid of that screen.

If that is not it then click the Quick Registration blue button shown in that screenshot. You can always just wait for a different answer from others that may see something else that may be the issue.

@tomasc - I appreciate your checking back on my needy topic, here. But I am sorry to say that neither of those options you say are possible for me. Literally, the program does not allow me to click either "Sign in" *OR* "Quick Registration" (believe me, I've tried both, tons of times) . It's as I said, the program is not leaving the red focus around the E-mail field, as if the Operating System does not even recognize that I have input anything into the Email field; therefore, whenever I attempt to click the "Sign in" or "Quick Registration", literally nothing happens. I mean *NOTHING*. No other prompts, no error prompts, no new browser window, no sounds, no movement on anything in the dialogue bx, field, screen, on the program, or anything at all.

I am also asking about this here: https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/86065.page#356284
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Sounds like something's wrong with the app. Try uninstalling it then reboot your computer and install it again. When you go to launch it, right-click on the desktop icon and choose Run as administrator and see if that lets you procede all the way through.

If you're still having trouble you may want to contact CL tech support from this page. Note that it will likely take a day or two for them to respond so you may want to move foraward with the mask & chroma key approach in PD from your other thread.
TravisJ [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Sounds like something's wrong with the app. Try uninstalling it then reboot your computer and install it again. When you go to launch it, right-click on the desktop icon and choose Run as administrator and see if that lets you procede all the way through.

If you're still having trouble you may want to contact CL tech support from this page. Note that it will likely take a day or two for them to respond so you may want to move foraward with the mask & chroma key approach in PD from your other thread.

Ok, thanks for the tips, I'll give that whirl. While I was waiting for responses, I actually *completed* an entire subtitling of this video, heh. So, that's actually super-cool~
Gelephoto7669 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 13, 2018 06:08 Messages: 15 Offline
[Post New]
HI TravisJ,
Couple of points, is there a reason why your using purple as a backdrop? Any materials used as a backdrop should be an even consistent colour. Eliminate any creasing by stretching the backdrop by clamping the sheet edges to stand / or another frame. If you don't have a specific reason for using purple then switch to Green or Blue, there is a reason why you should opt for these two colours. That is they basically don't exist in your skin colours, you would not get the weird effect of being partially translucent ie the eyes ect. Also, in chroma Key on the colour wheel you can adjust the colour range with the slider to include the full colour range required. Lighting the green/blue screen evenly is also important. Also do not wear anything that matches green / Blue backdrop screen colour. Also, to avoid shadow by standing about 3 feet from screen if possible this will also reduce/ eliminate colour fringing caused by the reflection from the screen. I hope this helps if you are still struggling with the problem.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 01. 2021 17:55

TravisJ [Avatar]
[Post New]
@optodata and @Gelephoto7669 ; can y'all please give me a link to a suggestion of a green-screen I can buy online? Clearly I'm new to all of this stuff, so whether it's a an actual bIg piece of wood or other structure that's green that I can somehow mount and hang behind me; or whether it's a green sheet that (as long as I shine enough light on it) I can use instead of a purple sheet; or, I don't know, maybe a big piece of foam or something that's green--can y'all link me to buying something like that online? Any suggestions? I think I'm covered on lights--I mean, I almost had everything good enough with the lights I do have even with this purple sheet. But yeah, the chroma key had a little trouble and I got a little purple noise. But I already had it really really close to perfect, even with such a bag purple sheet.

I'm currently still trying to get ColorDirector to launch, on my computer, so I can remove that "purple" behind me in these videos I wanna keep doing. The CyberLink techs are helping me troubleshoot why ColorDirector is not launching on my computer, but while it is not running, I have other videos I wanna shoot and produce.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Nov 04. 2021 12:08