Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How to replace Green-Screen with some sort of background
TravisJ [Avatar]
Member Joined: Apr 12, 2019 21:02 Messages: 57 Offline
[Post New]
Hello,

I am shooting a quick video, tomorrow, where myself and a client will be sitting/standing with a "Green-Screen" around us.

Once I import this video into my PowerDirector 17 Ultimate, how do I replace the Green-Screen that will be in our video with a Background of some sort? And, are there packages I can purchase for more Background options for my Power Director 17 Version 17.0.3005.0 ?
Philwild [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Hemel Hempstead, UK Joined: Oct 05, 2017 12:04 Messages: 208 Offline
[Post New]
I don't know about your last question.

But as to the greenscreen question you put the background on track 1 and your clip on track 2.

Double click on your clip to open the PIP designer, choose chroma key from the properties tab and use the pipette choose the green screen. The green will be replaced by the background.
[Thumb - Ashampoo_Snap_27 October 2020_21h20m22s_002_.png]
 Filename
Ashampoo_Snap_27 October 2020_21h20m22s_002_.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
272 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
4 time(s)
TravisJ [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I don't know about your last question.

But as to the greenscreen question you put the background on track 1 and your clip on track 2.

Double click on your clip to open the PIP designer, choose chroma key from the properties tab and use the pipette choose the green screen. The green will be replaced by the background.

@Philwild - Thanks a ton for the information.

Can anyone else help me out on the whole Background issue? Are there certain packs of Background files that, perhaps, CyberLink or some third-party sells..? Should one just simply use some sort of general JPG or PNG as a Background..? Just interested in what some of y'all do..?
TravisJ [Avatar]
[Post New]

@Philwild - Thanks a ton for the information.

Can anyone else help me out on the whole Background issue? Are there certain packs of Background files that, perhaps, CyberLink or some third-party sells..? Should one just simply use some sort of general JPG or PNG as a Background..? Just interested in what some of y'all do..?

Also I have another question--so, I got the Chroma Key thing working well, to remove the green-screen. It's working great.

But I have this random little white power-outlet that is on the green-screen wall, still showing. Any advice on things I can do to eliminate that..? Is there a way I can sort of "Stretch" down some of the green-screen, and, essentially "overwrite" or "cover" that little white rectangle power-outlet to just being a green part of the wall?
(I'm thinking in terms of/using methodology from Photoshop, if I was working on a static image instead of a .mp4 video; sorry if my terminology or thinking is clunky)
TravisJ [Avatar]
[Post New]
Just thought I'd re-state my statement another way:

I have a white object on the green-screen, so when I apply the Chroma Key, it successfully gets rid of the green-screen, but still leaves the random white-color object. any idea on how I could overcome this?
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Assuming that the background is stationary, the easiest thing to do is to take a screenshot and place that on a lower track from your main clip and background.

Use a mask with feathered edges placed right where the outlet is, then drag the screen position of the screenshot clip so that a clean green area fill the masked area.

Make sure you set the duration of the masking clip to last for the entire length of your video. You may need to chroma-key that clip separately.
TravisJ [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Assuming that the background is stationary, the easiest thing to do is to take a screenshot and place that on a lower track from your main clip and background.

Use a mask with feathered edges placed right where the outlet is, then drag the screen position of the screenshot clip so that a clean green area fill the masked area.

Make sure you set the duration of the masking clip to last for the entire length of your video. You may need to chroma-key that clip separately.

@optodata - that makes sense, I think I see what you're saying.

And then, since I've got four other clips where I use this green-screen, and eventually I'm gonna combine all of these into one, master, .mp4 file, you think there's any harm if I sort of "Produce" this first clip with that solution you had in mind, and then sort of import that newly-produced vdeo file into the finalized "master clip", where I'll have several of these videos? Do projects suffer a quality loss, or anything like that, if producing and re-importing a clip like that every time..? Or, you think that's a perfecctly valid thing to do?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 30. 2020 16:11

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
That's a perfectly good plan.

The best way to prepare for this is to produce your intermediate clips to the same output profile you're going to use for the final version. If you're unsure of which one to use, use the Profile Analyzer on the Produce page with just one of your source clips on the timeline (disable or remove all other timeline content). Look for Best Matched Format, and ideally there will also be a match for SVRT.

If you're able to use SVRT when creating the full video, it's not only very fast but it also doesn't re-encode your already-produced clips so there's zero quality loss.

You can see if SVRT is available by placing your first produced clip on the timeline and typing Alt+S to show the SVRT track. If it's green above the clip, you can use SVRT for the final version.

According to this discussion, there was an issue with PD17's SVRT feature that was eventually resolved with a patch, so make sure you're running build 3005. You can download it from here if needed.
TravisJ [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote That's a perfectly good plan.

The best way to prepare for this is to produce your intermediate clips to the same output profile you're going to use for the final version. If you're unsure of which one to use, use the Profile Analyzer on the Produce page with just one of your source clips on the timeline (disable or remove all other timeline content). Look for Best Matched Format, and ideally there will also be a match for SVRT.

If you're able to use SVRT when creating the full video, it's not only very fast but it also doesn't re-encode your already-produced clips so there's zero quality loss.

You can see if SVRT is available by placing your first produced clip on the timeline and typing Alt+S to show the SVRT track. If it's green above the clip, you can use SVRT for the final version.

According to this discussion, there was an issue with PD17's SVRT feature that was eventually resolved with a patch, so make sure you're running build 3005. You can download it from here if needed.

@optodata - thanks for giving me things to chew on, and introducing me to the concept of SVRT. I've got a decent phone with which I've shot the video; and I've got a decent Laptop; and so within my PD17, I really go for the gold and in the "Produce" tab, go for the H.264 AVC, and choose MPEG-4 4K 4096x2160 30/p. At least,, I *think* that's the most powerhouse format that my "Produce" tab allows.