Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
I do appreciate all the replies. But still stick with my opinion. But I will stop now.

I like the way that the Keyframe window opens up in a large window and automatically resizes the video window down.

Thanks again.

How much more room do you need? Why do you find a keyframe area this size tight?

I do not feel that I need to explain why. I stated a reason. I believe that this text keyframe area IS tight, and is not at all intuitive, compared to other properties that are key-framed.

Again, why not all in the same large keyframe window ? That is very logical and very intuitive ...
I have a question or suggestion about the method to keyframe text. Why not in the keyframe box ?

To keyframe a text box, it must be done in its own keyframe window beneath the screen area. This keyframe area is tight, and more difficult to operate.

All other items that are keyframed are done so in the much larger keyframe window. Why cannot text keyframing be added to this larger keyframe window ?

Thanks for listening.

Clark
Quote Hello Clark,

It appears that you are attempting to use a Motion Tracking mask. Is that correct?

Unforunately, if that's the case, you'd have some difficulty even if you were a CDR "oldie". CDR does indeed "wander off and grab other areas", especially when there are similar coloured objects passing by.

Could you please post a screenshot of the clip showing the area you're trying to mask?

PIX

Hi PIX,

Yes, I was using Motion Tracking. in CDR 6. I have used it for 3 videos.

But, based on my experience, I will not use it again, unless I am paid very high, or unless someone tells me how better to use it.

Rather than a screen shot, how about a link to a "completed" video, one that I did mask, and then created a video with a semi-transparent background of the initial background? Then you can see better what I was dealing with.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Kk3y39JbVndNEIL83

The final result was "pretty good", not great. But take many hours to complete. I thought I would get better as time went by, but I topped out on my learning curve after an hour or so. From then on, it was boring, click, alt-click. I couldn't get far with the continuous motion tracking tool; I often had to track frame by frame.

This video had stupid people moving in the background. That hurt. But also, even when there was no background movement, CDR keep losing/adding parts. If I kept the same mask, and started again, thinking that I could fine-tune, it was almost like starting over. CDR kept losing parts that had been masked out, so I would have to re-mask them out again.

I also wanted to be able to simply mask out an area, and keep that mask constant unless there was a big change. But there is no tolerance setting. Also, CDR wants to immediately re-mask with jaggies the area that I had just masked smoothly,

I read somewhere that YouTube was finalizing an on-line tool to do this. Hurry up, YouTube !
I am a CDR6 newbie. I have used it on a couple of projects where I wanted to make the background mostly opaque, in order to lessen all the stuff going on in the background.

I did it but it was a laborious process. I had watched a couple of tutorials, mostly French. So I think I know the mechanics. But CDR kept wandering off, grabbing other areas and losing area that I wanted.

But the most disturbing thing is that it apparently lost edits/selections that I had already made. If I wanted to repeat the process, keeping the same mask, in order to fine tune my mask, very often the areas that I had masked out came back masked. Very frustrating.

Any comments or guidance?

Thanks,

Clark
Quote One workaround would be to start a project by dropping a colorboard onto the first timeline which you could easily discard when you are ready to produce.

Thanks !

Great minds think alike. After I had posted my message, that same workaround popped into my head. I just completed a video, using that technique, and was able to place my photos and videos exactly where needed.

Clark
Basic question - hope it makes sense.

I often have a tough time seeing the boundaries of the aspect window. The window is black. The surrounding area is black. One should be a lighter shade.

Thanks,

Clark
Quote Hi folks,

I recently purchased the PowerDirector Ultra suite with PowerDirector, AudioDirector, PhotoDirector and a few effects.

I didn't realise at that point that I wasn't getting ColorDirector. In fact I didn't even realise ColorDirector existed.

I'm not sure what ColorDirector gives me that PowerDirector doesn't - can someone advise? Do I need it?

Thanks
W

So far, my need for ColorDirector is only for creating a Green Screen video from one of my existing videos. My use would be to highlight only certain people in a video, or to create a different background to the main person(s)

There may be more, but I haven't discovered that yet. In looking at the demo video, it appears that ColorDirector gives much more control over color changes, more color effects, designed to give the video a different look, or simply to look better.

Clark
Quote frown I recently purchased Photo Director Mobile for iOS. I would like to remove the Photo Director tag from the collage frames. Is there any way to remove these tags, With the paid version, these should be removed.

I agree 100%
Quote Try this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3jSXzV7suY

or even better this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1GaEx_UKc4

(I think you will see some answer around about 2:27)

You need ColorDirector though!

Regards
Warry

Thanks..... Good info. I guess I need to check out ColorDirector.

Clark
Is this possible with PDR 16 ?

Is it possible to mask out surroundings on a moving object ?

Motion Tracker follows an object. I would like to create a transparent background around that moving object. Is this possible ? If so, please link me to a tutorial.

I know that I can mask an area around the object. I can get a good mask if I create one in PhotoShop. But that doesn't work when the object moves.

Any help here ?

Thanks much,

Clark
I thank all of you for your very insightful comments.

Yes, this original video was a screen capture. Initial reason for the jerkiness, I guess.

But I was expecting that PD16 would smooth out that jerkiness by interpolation.

I will try 60 fps to see what happens.

Thanks again.

Clark
I have several questions and/or problems about a video that I am producing. Hopefully some of the experienced users here can offer some advice.

This is the link to a ZIP file that has both the PDS file and the *.MP4 source file used in the PDS.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VhSgKmcPlKTCxUf_Y8_dqqZQ_nd81NF6/view?usp=sharing

1. On my system (a 16 Gig Surface Book 4) this setup often hangs during display when I Preview the edited video. It also hangs, or stutters, for other video setups, but nearly always for this setup. The audio will play, but the video intermittently hangs. This occurs even after I have rebooted, with no other apps running.

2. This particular video is jerky on display. It is jerky, not shaky. Is there way to smooth out the display after it's rendered ?

3. This is a nice source video, but I believe it would be even better if it had more Pop, more color, a bit of drama, without looking surreal. What is the best way to achieve that ? I do know how to adjust the Enhancement tools.

4. I have several photo apps that will add "depth" to a photo. The result is both stunning and natural. Can PD16 do that, or other video apps ?

Thanks for any advice,

Clark
Quote This is actually a pretty good post, good info. I'm not sure if you can hack a 5:4 that would work in PD, you'd have to alter the ini profile. Easy to do, but would it crash?

I could not find a ini file to edit, or I would have tried - if it was actually simple, obvious text.

Also, here's a good website to crop videos, and other changes. Simple, quick, and free. EZGIF
Quote The currect aspect ratios of PowerDirector do not meet the needs of Facebook video marketers.
Facebook specifically recommends a 5 high, 4 wide ratio.

Watch this video to see.
https://youtu.be/nDNHgCorSys

OK, I found a work-around. Not as good as a built-in 5x4 aspect ratio, but it does get the results I need.

I created a transparent 5x4 transparent PNG with a red border. It's on the bottom of my timeline.

Then I can set up for a 4x3 aspect ratio, but then keep all of the action inside the 5x4 red border. After I create the 4x3 video, I do need to crop it back to 5x4. For that, I use a great iPhone app named "Video Cropper" by Roi Mulia. It does not re-render. It just crops to whatever aspect ratio you want.

Of course, I have to move the 4x3 video to my iPhone, but I use Google Photos, so that's no problem.
The currect aspect ratios of PowerDirector do not meet the needs of Facebook video marketers. Facebook specifically recommends a 5 high, 4 wide ratio.

This is not an arbitrary dictate by Facebook. It is realistic. For most of our video presentations, the receiving device will be a Smartphone, held in the portrait position. That is the position that nearly all Facebook users hold the iPhone when scrolling through Facebook.

The video marketer must then grab the attention of the Facebook scroller, so that they will stop and actually watch the video. The most perfect display is 5 x 4, because it automatically users most of the iPhone display, the phone does not need to be rotated, so that the user will automatically see the great opening display. And then watch the video.

16 x 9 may look great when the phone is rotated, but quick scrollers will not take the time to rotate the phone. They will instead keep on scrolling, right past the otherwise great video you created.

Please add variable aspect ratios. If not variable, then specifically add 5 x 4.

Watch this video to see.
https://youtu.be/nDNHgCorSys
Quote We'd better clear up the "miscommunication".

What happens when you click that little triangle???

Cheers - Tony

When I click that little triangle, the waters part. Simply put.

THAT was what I was looking for all along. You did say "triangle" once before but I dumbly was looking for a keyframe caret marker symbol, not a dropdown triangle.

Thank you - that did it. I had decided that PD didn't allow keyframing of text. Wrong ! I wonder why the Keyframe menu botton goes away when text is selected on the Timeline ?

Regardless - thanks much ... Now what we have is good communication.

Clark
Quote Hi Clark -

Just click on the little triangle beside the title timeline. See in the adjusted version of your screenshot.

Cheers - Tony

Here's the problem - "What we have here ...." (Is maybe me, but I think miscommunication.)

It is very easy for me to adjust the keyframes on photos and videos. I can do that from either the "Keyframe" menu item or the "Designer" menu item. I have done that many times.

But obviously keyframes cannot be used on Text, as in Titles. This is finally my realization.

Keyframe markers do NOT show on the timeline when the selected timeline item is text. Keyframe markers show ONLY when the selected timeline item is a photo or video. I cannot keyframe text, bottom line.

Based on that, it appears that I have two options -

1. Use Carl's recommendation of using or modifying the "Motion - Path"
This mostly works, but I find it difficult to move the text as I would like.

2. Convert the text (using a text Screen Capture against a black background) to a Transparent PNG with Photoshop. Then place that PNG on the timeline and keyframe it as one desired.

I have attached a video that shows 1) the Path method, and 2) the Transparent PNG method.

Thanks for all the insights.

Clark

Two ways to move text on the video
Quote Hi Clark -

Carl has shown how to use one of the motion effects for titles, which gives you the result you're after.

You can use keyframes, which gives you greater control over position, scale, opacity & rotation. See if this screen capture helps...

Cheers - Tony

I sincerely appreciate both of your replies. However, two things --

I was hoping to use keyframes, as you suggested. However, I cannot get the Keyframes "Position, Scale, Opacity, etc" to show on the timeline. If you look at my screen capture, you will not see any of these Keyframe attributes.

How do I get them to show on my timeline ?

Thanks,

Clark
The "Keyframe" button displays on the menu line for a video or image. It does not display for a Title.

I would like to be able to move a Title across the screen. I cannot figure out how to add 2 Keyframe Position markers on a Title.

The attached photo shows a screen shot of PD16. I am in the Designer mode. I want to advance the words "xxxas stroll" from right to left across the screen. But I cannot set a Position on the timeline.

Help !

Thanks,

Clark
I'll ask anyway.

I have PhotoDirector Mobile on my iPhone 7+. I paid the $4.99 upgrade fee.

I want to create collages. But I do NOT want any text on my collages. How do I turn OFF the addition of text to my collages ?

Thanks

Clark
Go to: