Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Help me with adding Keyframes to a Title
[Post New]
The "Keyframe" button displays on the menu line for a video or image. It does not display for a Title.

I would like to be able to move a Title across the screen. I cannot figure out how to add 2 Keyframe Position markers on a Title.

The attached photo shows a screen shot of PD16. I am in the Designer mode. I want to advance the words "xxxas stroll" from right to left across the screen. But I cannot set a Position on the timeline.

Help !

Thanks,

Clark
[Thumb - ScreenShot.JPG]
 Filename
ScreenShot.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
567 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
14 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 29. 2017 15:51

Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
<!-- [if gte mso 9]><xml>
<w:WordDocument>
<w:View>Normal</w:View>
<w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom>
<woNotOptimizeForBrowser/>
</w:WordDocument>
</xml><![endif]-->

I used your Chipmonks. Since I used the capture of your Image, it has the remnants of your attempt to scroll.

You add the image to the timeline in track 1, go to Titles on the Left pane. ( F7 ) select Credits/Stroll. Drag the 'Stroll Left' down to Track 2 on the timeline. Click on Desiginer on the top of the timeline. Modifiy the Text of the Scroll Title.

You can modify the duration of both parts.

My screen capture shows the result. (I used 10 seconds for duration).

This is fairly rough, just did the capture, I did produce the capture to 720P. There is no sound.
 Filename
Screen Capture Scroll Left.mp4
[Disk]
 Description
Screen capture of how to do scroll left.
 Filesize
4726 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
332 time(s)
Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Clark -

Carl has shown how to use one of the motion effects for titles, which gives you the result you're after.

You can use keyframes, which gives you greater control over position, scale, opacity & rotation. See if this screen capture helps...

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
[Post New]
Quote Hi Clark -

Carl has shown how to use one of the motion effects for titles, which gives you the result you're after.

You can use keyframes, which gives you greater control over position, scale, opacity & rotation. See if this screen capture helps...

Cheers - Tony

I sincerely appreciate both of your replies. However, two things --

I was hoping to use keyframes, as you suggested. However, I cannot get the Keyframes "Position, Scale, Opacity, etc" to show on the timeline. If you look at my screen capture, you will not see any of these Keyframe attributes.

How do I get them to show on my timeline ?

Thanks,

Clark
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Clark -

Just click on the little triangle beside the title timeline. See in the adjusted version of your screenshot.

Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - ScreenShot+.jpg]
 Filename
ScreenShot+.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
563 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
16 time(s)

[Post New]
Quote Hi Clark -

Just click on the little triangle beside the title timeline. See in the adjusted version of your screenshot.

Cheers - Tony

Here's the problem - "What we have here ...." (Is maybe me, but I think miscommunication.)

It is very easy for me to adjust the keyframes on photos and videos. I can do that from either the "Keyframe" menu item or the "Designer" menu item. I have done that many times.

But obviously keyframes cannot be used on Text, as in Titles. This is finally my realization.

Keyframe markers do NOT show on the timeline when the selected timeline item is text. Keyframe markers show ONLY when the selected timeline item is a photo or video. I cannot keyframe text, bottom line.

Based on that, it appears that I have two options -

1. Use Carl's recommendation of using or modifying the "Motion - Path"
This mostly works, but I find it difficult to move the text as I would like.

2. Convert the text (using a text Screen Capture against a black background) to a Transparent PNG with Photoshop. Then place that PNG on the timeline and keyframe it as one desired.

I have attached a video that shows 1) the Path method, and 2) the Transparent PNG method.

Thanks for all the insights.

Clark

Two ways to move text on the video
ynotfish
[Post New]
We'd better clear up the "miscommunication".

You're right that there are other options. I couldn't get to youe screen capture, but I understand what you're saying.

Could you please look at this & let us know which part differs from what you see in your PDR16. When you open the title in Title Designer, you should have similar keyframe options that you use in PiP Designer.

What happens when you click that little triangle???

Cheers - Tony
[Post New]
Quote We'd better clear up the "miscommunication".

What happens when you click that little triangle???

Cheers - Tony

When I click that little triangle, the waters part. Simply put.

THAT was what I was looking for all along. You did say "triangle" once before but I dumbly was looking for a keyframe caret marker symbol, not a dropdown triangle.

Thank you - that did it. I had decided that PD didn't allow keyframing of text. Wrong ! I wonder why the Keyframe menu botton goes away when text is selected on the Timeline ?

Regardless - thanks much ... Now what we have is good communication.

Clark
NeillT [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 23, 2018 22:44 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Wow, yeah. For the longest time, I totally overlooked that little drop down control to show the keyframe settings for text. I wonder if this is why some people are suggesting creating a transparent background png file with the text and moving that instead of simply moving the text. Creating the png just introduces additional steps, especially, if the text needs to be edited. I'm grateful to know how to open up that panel to get to the keyframe controls. Thanks.