Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDirector Absolutely needs a 5 x 4 aspect ratio - for Facebook marketing videos
[Post New]
The currect aspect ratios of PowerDirector do not meet the needs of Facebook video marketers. Facebook specifically recommends a 5 high, 4 wide ratio.

This is not an arbitrary dictate by Facebook. It is realistic. For most of our video presentations, the receiving device will be a Smartphone, held in the portrait position. That is the position that nearly all Facebook users hold the iPhone when scrolling through Facebook.

The video marketer must then grab the attention of the Facebook scroller, so that they will stop and actually watch the video. The most perfect display is 5 x 4, because it automatically users most of the iPhone display, the phone does not need to be rotated, so that the user will automatically see the great opening display. And then watch the video.

16 x 9 may look great when the phone is rotated, but quick scrollers will not take the time to rotate the phone. They will instead keep on scrolling, right past the otherwise great video you created.

Please add variable aspect ratios. If not variable, then specifically add 5 x 4.

Watch this video to see.
https://youtu.be/nDNHgCorSys

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 17. 2017 10:37

[Post New]
Quote The currect aspect ratios of PowerDirector do not meet the needs of Facebook video marketers.
Facebook specifically recommends a 5 high, 4 wide ratio.

Watch this video to see.
https://youtu.be/nDNHgCorSys

OK, I found a work-around. Not as good as a built-in 5x4 aspect ratio, but it does get the results I need.

I created a transparent 5x4 transparent PNG with a red border. It's on the bottom of my timeline.

Then I can set up for a 4x3 aspect ratio, but then keep all of the action inside the 5x4 red border. After I create the 4x3 video, I do need to crop it back to 5x4. For that, I use a great iPhone app named "Video Cropper" by Roi Mulia. It does not re-render. It just crops to whatever aspect ratio you want.

Of course, I have to move the 4x3 video to my iPhone, but I use Google Photos, so that's no problem.
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
This is actually a pretty good post, good info. I'm not sure if you can hack a 5:4 that would work in PD, you'd have to alter the ini profile. Easy to do, but would it crash? HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
[Post New]
Quote This is actually a pretty good post, good info. I'm not sure if you can hack a 5:4 that would work in PD, you'd have to alter the ini profile. Easy to do, but would it crash?

I could not find a ini file to edit, or I would have tried - if it was actually simple, obvious text.

Also, here's a good website to crop videos, and other changes. Simple, quick, and free. EZGIF

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 18. 2017 15:21