Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Quote People should just stop buying laptops for video editing.
You apparantly didn't read his post since he DOES have a desktop! Cyberlink software seems to get broken with every other nVidia driver release.
Quote Thanks Russell. Yes Ryzen is one of best priced CPU and RX Vega 11 sound to be very good but expensive Graphic card.
I was just pointing out an error in your earlier statement [AMD has no on chip graphic]. AMD has made CPU WITH GPU integrated for many years. AMD just refers to them as APU. The AMD Ryzen™ 5 2400G with integrated (on the chip) Radeon™ RX Vega 11 Graphics is only $162 US which is relatively inexpensive for CPU AND GPU. This APU is a quad core with 8 threads and should be good at video editing. No idea if PD supports the new Vega 11 GPU though.

Power Director should work on any Windows computer. How well it performs can be subjective depending on what you are doing with it. As StevenG points out, there is no one configuration well suited for everyone.
2) what type of PC, Mac, Intel or AMD. Intel has on chip Graphic, AMD has no on chip graphic
AMD has released Ryzen APUs with the new VEGA GPU, ie. AMD Ryzen™ 5 2400G with Radeon™ RX Vega 11 Graphics
Quote I don't recommend using laptops for video processing at all. Laptops, despite how "powerful" they may be advertized, are built with limited "mobile" processors specifically for preserving battery life.
Respectively disagree. Laptop reduce CPU speed ONLY when on battery power and can even reduce display brightness to conserve battery power.

However when plugged into AC, NONE of that applies. I have a Sager 17" notebook with similiar specs. You may need to adjust Windows 10 power settings. With all that said, Power Director has NEVER fully utilized any CPU or GPU on my desktop or laptop. Even though PD does indeed have fast rendering at Produce, it doesn't seem to utilize the CPU or GPU efficiently during editing on the timeline.

Just MY opinion, that it is a software issue.
My laptop out performs my 4700k desktop with GTX1060. Some that can be attributed to the faster SSD in the laptop (M2). I would no problem replacing my desktop with it. Most desktop motherboards DO have a limit on RAM.
Here is the article Unfortunately there is a caveat: "Applications are always allowed to have the ultimate choice of which GPU to use, so you may see additional applications that do not follow the preferences you set."

I reset my BIOS to MSHybrid mode. This new feature did not work with Power Director. So we now KNOW who is at fault.
Thanks to JL_JL who messaged me about this possible solution. Microsoft has added a way to force select which GPU to use with desktop OR universal apps! Just upgrade to the latest Windows 10 1803 build 17134.1. Go to Windows Settings / System / Display. In the right pane, there is now a new Option 'Graphics Setting' at the bottom. Select that. Choose Classic app for desktop app like PD15 or 16. Browse to the pdr.exe and Add. Choose iGPU or dGPU.

That should do it. I haven't tested it yet on my laptop, but will as soon as I get a chance today.
Thanks to JL_JL who messaged me about this possible solution. Microsoft has added a way to force select which GPU to use with desktop OR universal apps! Just upgrade to the latest Windows 10 1803 build 17134.1. Go to Windows Settings / System / Display. In the right pane, there is now a new Option 'Graphics Setting' at the bottom. Select that. Choose Classic app for desktop app like PD15 or 16. Browse to the pdr.exe and Add. Choose iGPU or dGPU.

That should do it. I haven't tested it yet on my laptop, but will as soon as I get a chance today.
Quote [
Do you mean PDR16 doesn't work with a dGPU on a laptop?
Depends on the laptop. I first purchased MSI and I could not find any way to get PD to use the GTX1060. Returned it and bought a Sager laptop. It has an option in the BIOS to boot with the dGPU which is what I do all the time now. No issues with PD at all. If I was away from power and battery running low, I can always switch back to iGPU to save battery. 99% of the time I use my laptop plugged into power though.
From all the reviews I've read, Intel CPUs have always done better on single thread apps/processes. Personally I find it odd that this day and age, those still exist. however, PowerDirector is multi threaded and should take advantage of all cores/threads regardless of which brand you choose. Could just depend on your budget or how much you are willing to spend.
Since PowerDirector takes advantage of GPU, not sure how you can compare just CPU power alone without having two computers side by side and running a test with PowerDirector. Perhaps someone here with those CPUs can do that.
Quote My question is about the best processor specificaly for powerdirector, that gives me more performance on timeline editing, with multiple tracks and effects - the encoding time isn't very important - i think intel on that area, with quicksync ON could be the winner.

- Witch one can handle the timeline better for 1080p h264/h265 sources, Threadripper 1950x / Ryzen 2700x or Intel 8700k (with quicksync enable)?

Thanks for the previous answers...
Threadripper and Ryzen 2700x doesn't have a built in GPU like the 8700. You would need a Video Card. Prehaps compare 8700 Quicksync vs. nVidia or AMD GPU?
Also be aware that some user benchmarks are from overclockers, too. That middle link: Intel had 51K user benchmarks. While the Ryzen only had 2! Not a very comprehensive comparison.

Personally, I have only had two Intel CPUs in my lifetime. Not impressed with the price/performance cost, but I've had fewer crashes (still get occsaional Win10 'green screen'). I have been seriuosly thinking about Threadripper V2 later this year.
Quote There is no reason why one should render in lower bitrate than the camera is recording in.
Depends on the intented use. I seriously doubt you would be streaming 120Mbps files from the internet. Plus the only way you can burn to disc at that rate is data disc.
Quote after some extreme frustration with Version 12 that came with the Diamond MM NTSC Video Capture device I just purchased.
Usually the version that comes with hardware is not the full version so could be limited to certain file formats. You can find better discounts on full versions of PD 14 or 15 that should work well with .mts files
Quote hi
if i choose mpeg2
dvd hq
its ok ?
i need to change more something ?
i need to choose 4:3 or 16:9 capture ?

thanks
Sony made Analog and digital 8mm video camcorders. What is the model number? Capturing analog and digital are two different methods. The aspect ratio depends on how you set the camcorder. I dont' recall if my old Sony analog 8mm had widescreen mode, but I do know the digital 8mm did.
AVI is a less compressed format and is a larger file size. Usually about 13GB per hour. Once you edit and compress to MPEG2, average is about 4.7GB per hour on a standard DVD. Can get higher compression if you save to MP4 file format depending on settings.

Compressing the files looses a lot of details so I wouldn't compress before editing. Only do that for the final output.
Quote Hi all
I have a Gigabyte Aero 15
-i7 7700hq
-16GB RAM
-nVidia gtx1060 6GB
-512gb M.2 PCie SSD
You have encountered the MSHybrid / nVidia Optimus issue. Simply that PD16 does not recognize the technology and will not utilize the GPU at all. There is another recent thread on this same subject.

I ran across this issue more than a year ago. My solution was to return the MSI laptop and purchased a Sager which allows me to turn off MSHyrid mode in the BIOS. My laptop now boots with the GTX1060 and PD can use it like it should.
Quote i contacted customer service to see if i could get in touch with an engineer to resolve this issue, but it seems they think this is an nvidia problem....
Typical pass the buck. THis is definitely a Cyberlink PD issue not recognizing the technology.
I think this discussion is getting away from the original post -- which is more about MSHybrid mode and Vidia Optimus. I don't think that OpenCL has anything to do with that.

OpenCL may work well for games, but I can't see any advantage to it over custom code for each GPU technology. As ointed out in the previous post, OpenCL just adding layers of additional processing slowing video rendering. Cyberlink should go back to true NVenc/CUDA support direct to the GPU card. I've already started looking for an editor that does.
We shouldn't have to go through all this and I complained about this issue several years ago so Cyberlink should be aware. They need to fix their software. This can also be an issue on desktops, but most desktop mobos have a way to only use the dGPU. No clue why most laptops can't.
Quote However, there is some positive news to report as there is now a draft spec for Ultra HD Blu-ray burning, and we will be considering this feature for a future version once the spec is set.
Although I understand Cyberlinks position on this, I feel there has been colution within the indsutry with Intel since the 'playback' requirements are strictly Intel chipset like SGX and 7th adn 8th gen Intel CPU ONLY. I'm sure this is just another way to keep pirates from copying 4K Bluray discs, but it also makes it near impossible for consumer editing/burning. Consumers don't need that kind of security and should be able to edit/create home UHD without such strict requirements.
Go to: