Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD16 not using NVIDIA card
TMH [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 18, 2018 20:16 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Here's my problem: Have new Lenovo Y520, i7 (7700), 8G ram, and it came with NVIDIA GXT 1060 GPU. Problem is there is an integrated intel GPU and PD16 defauts to that and I've tried everything to direct PD16 to use the better card. Im not that techy...so this whole thing is very frusterating. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!
TMH [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Here's my problem: Have new Lenovo Y520, i7 (7700), 8G ram, and it came with NVIDIA GXT 1060 GPU. Problem is there is an integrated intel GPU and PD16 defauts to that and I've tried everything to direct PD16 to use the better card. Im not that techy...so this whole thing is very frusterating. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

I've read a lot of threads on the subject and it appears that Cyberlink simply may not care. there should be a fix by now...these newer laptops are here to stay. Maybe its time to look at better software for video editing. Someone chime in if I've missed the fix. Thanks!
[Post New]
It's NVIDIA's issue in previous discussions, so I guess PowerDirector cannot help here.

The most important point is, for multimedia, Intel GPU does better than NVIDIA, I don't see any signiticant benefit to use NVIDIA for video editing.
TMH [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote It's NVIDIA's issue in previous discussions, so I guess PowerDirector cannot help here.

The most important point is, for multimedia, Intel GPU does better than NVIDIA, I don't see any signiticant benefit to use NVIDIA for video editing.

i appreciate the response...again, I am a newbie to rigs and editing but the lag and stutter while rendering would surely be cured with a better graphics card that has 6G of its own memory, right?
[Post New]
Not really I'm afraid, the bottle neck of video editing/producing performance is still the CPU and GPU codec, even I/O speed (SSD helps a lot).
The 3D rendering power and tons of VRAM are good to your 3D applications, not video editing.
pgordemer [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 30, 2017 12:33 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Here's my problem: Have new Lenovo Y520, i7 (7700), 8G ram, and it came with NVIDIA GXT 1060 GPU. Problem is there is an integrated intel GPU and PD16 defauts to that and I've tried everything to direct PD16 to use the better card. Im not that techy...so this whole thing is very frusterating. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

I've read a lot of threads on the subject and it appears that Cyberlink simply may not care. there should be a fix by now...these newer laptops are here to stay. Maybe its time to look at better software for video editing. Someone chime in if I've missed the fix. Thanks!

You need to go into the Nvidia Control Panel, Manage 3D settings, then Program Settings. Find PowerDirector in the the Select a Program to Customize. Then change the CUDA - GPUAs and change it from global to selecting your Nvidia Card. This will force PDR to only see the Nvidia Card.
JamesK [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 31, 2018 04:47 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]

You need to go into the Nvidia Control Panel, Manage 3D settings, then Program Settings. Find PowerDirector in the the Select a Program to Customize. Then change the CUDA - GPUAs and change it from global to selecting your Nvidia Card. This will force PDR to only see the Nvidia Card.

Don't bother. PowerDirector 16 only works with integrated GPU
JamesK [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote It's NVIDIA's issue in previous discussions, so I guess PowerDirector cannot help here.

i appreciate the response...again, I am a newbie to rigs and editing but the lag and stutter while rendering would surely be cured with a better graphics card that has 6G of its own memory, right?

Yes. Difference is night and day even with an entry level dGPU
[Post New]
Why waste the money on a laptop with an integrated 1060 when a desktop with the same card would cost you 1/2 of the price and it actually would work.
It's the handover between intel and nVidia that doesn't seem to happen in the laptops when editing.Why?
Because CUDA cores are not actually used during rendering, so Optimus doesn't see the reason to switch to nVidia, while you wanted to use the integrated ASIC hardware (nvenc).
It's this: http://www.nvidia.com/object/optimus_technology.html

LE: Why don't you try to "force" the laptop to think it is a high GPU load (CUDA cores). For example, start GPU-Z and use it's integrated test mode. Minimize it and then try Power Director. It might switch to nVidia (so you could use for NVENC).

[Thumb - render.png]
 Filename
render.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
154 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
2 time(s)

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Apr 21. 2018 17:48

JamesK [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Why waste the money on a laptop with an integrated 1060 when a desktop with the same card would cost you 1/2 of the price and it actually would work.
It's the handover between intel and nVidia that doesn't seem to happen in the laptops when editing.Why?
Because CUDA cores are not actually used during rendering, so Optimus doesn't see the reason to switch to nVidia, while you wanted to use the integrated ASIC hardware (nvenc).
It's this: http://www.nvidia.com/object/optimus_technology.html

LE: Why don't you try to "force" the laptop to think it is a high GPU load (CUDA cores). For example, start GPU-Z and use it's integrated test mode. Minimize it and then try Power Director. It might switch to nVidia (so you could use for NVENC).

Do you mean PDR16 doesn't work with a dGPU on a laptop?

I wonder why all other programs including Adobe Premiere and even MS Word can use a Nvidia dGPU on a laptop when PDR16 can't.
Hatti
Contributor Location: Bonn, Germany Joined: Feb 21, 2017 15:54 Messages: 576 Offline
[Post New]
Yes, you can wonder, but thats is a fact.
We all hope, that Cyberlink is working on it.

Hatti Win 10 64, i7-4790k, 32GB Ram, 256 GB SSD, SATA 2TB, SATA 4TB, NVidia GTX1080 8GB, LG 34" 4K Wide, AOC 24" 1080
GGRussell [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Jan 08, 2012 11:38 Messages: 709 Offline
[Post New]
Quote [
Do you mean PDR16 doesn't work with a dGPU on a laptop?
Depends on the laptop. I first purchased MSI and I could not find any way to get PD to use the GTX1060. Returned it and bought a Sager laptop. It has an option in the BIOS to boot with the dGPU which is what I do all the time now. No issues with PD at all. If I was away from power and battery running low, I can always switch back to iGPU to save battery. 99% of the time I use my laptop plugged into power though. Intel i7 4770k, 16GB, GTX1060 3GB, Two 240GB SSD, 4TB HD, Sony HDR-TD20V 3D camcorder, Sony SLT-A65VK for still images, Windows 10 Pro, 64bit
Gary Russell -- TN USA
LadyProEditor [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 04, 2017 15:42 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]

Here are the specs for Power Director - None of which say do not use a dedicated graphic card or a better PC.
Operating SystemMicrosoft Windows 10, 8/8.1, 7 (64 bit OS recommended)
Processor (CPU)Intel Core™ i-series or AMD Phenom® II and above
Graphics Processor (GPU)Standard Video: 128 MB VGA VRAM or higher 360-video: DirectX 11 compatible
Memory2GB required (6GB or above recommended)

My Computer meets or exceeds these specs, so why doesn't it work?

I am asking for my money back and so should anyone that is having this issue.
I am also going to comment back on all the reviews.

I guess I am off to Vegas....
I wish Avid would bring back Express....