Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Instructions to get Nvidia cards to be used with Powerdirector 16 - Semi Solved
browniee112 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Dec 28, 2017 03:57 Messages: 66 Offline
[Post New]
Hi all

I was having the issue of PD16 not utilizing the GPU at all. Thought I'd share this here if it helps others.

After a lot of hair pulling and hours of searching internet finally stumbled across the below instruction and managed to get the GPU to at least be utlized 1% to 10%. These were written for PD14 but may work for PD16.

Original post on page 7 - https://membership.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/90/46836.page#257310

Advantages:
- works with all nvidia optimus cards (pre-kepler also)
- doesn't need any powerdirector patch (like the one proposed in page 2)
- works with latest nvidia drivers
- all works fine without crashes, preview works also

HOW TO:
1) (suggested) uninstall and reinstall powerdirector 14
2) (suggested) update your nvidia driver
3) Downlaod Nvidia Inspector (http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/nvidia-inspector-download.html)
4) Open nvidia inspector and click on the screwdriver icon near the "driver version" label
5) In the dropdown menu, choose "Cyberlink Power Director" (exactly)
6) Set this property:
Do not display this profile in the Control Panel = CPL_HIDDEN_PROFILE_DISABLED
Enable application for Optimus = SHIM_RENDERING_MODE_ENABLE
Optimus flags for enabled applications = SHIM_MCCOMPAT_OVERRIDE_BIT
Shim Rendering Mode Options per application for Optimus = SHIM_RENDERING_OPTIONS_DEFAULT_RENDERING_MODE
7) Click on Apply changes and close Nvidia Inspector
Open Powerdirector
9) Go to preferences and then hardware acceleration
10) Check "use opencl" and "use hardware decoding" (or something similar, i don't have english powerdirector; if you can't check those option then something went wrong with the previous steps)
11) restart Powerdirector

Now the issue is-

The rendering times didn't get better at all. I did multiple test with a project where

1. LUT applied+Color enhancement on

2. I had 3 clips (1 x HEVC mp4 file and2 x h264 mp4 files) totalling 24 seconds.

3. Exported to h264 + highest 4K setting

Without GPU it took 1:29 seconds
With GPU + CPU it still took 1:28 seconds

I have a Gigabyte Aero 15
-i7 7700hq
-16GB RAM
-nVidia gtx1060 6GB
-512gb M.2 PCie SSD

Keywords: Cuda, hardware acceleration, PD16 not working with nvidia, powerdirector openCL, hardware encoding, nvidia driver profile inspector
Edit: Added keywords to help search and document for future reference.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 12. 2018 17:32

PepsiMan
Senior Contributor Location: Clarksville, TN Joined: Dec 29, 2010 01:20 Messages: 1054 Offline
[Post New]
here's JL_JL's in depth look at HA in PowerDirector Hardware Acceleration .

happy happy joy joy

PepsiMan
'garbage in garbage out' 'no bridge too far'

Yashica Electro 8 LD-6 Super 8mm
Asrock TaiChi X470, AMD R7 2700X, W7P 64, MSI GTX1060 6GB, Corsair 16GB/RAM
Dell XPS L702X i7-2860QM, W7P / W10P 64, Intel HD3000/nVidia GT 550M 1GB, Micron 16GB/RAM
Samsung Galaxy Note3/NX1
GGRussell [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Jan 08, 2012 11:38 Messages: 709 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi all
-i7 7700hq
-16GB RAM
-nVidia gtx1060 6GB
-512gb M.2 PCie SSD
You have encountered the MSHybrid / nVidia Optimus issue. Simply that PD16 does not recognize the technology and will not utilize the GPU at all. There is another recent thread on this same subject.

I ran across this issue more than a year ago. My solution was to return the MSI laptop and purchased a Sager which allows me to turn off MSHyrid mode in the BIOS. My laptop now boots with the GTX1060 and PD can use it like it should.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 13. 2018 09:02

Intel i7 4770k, 16GB, GTX1060 3GB, Two 240GB SSD, 4TB HD, Sony HDR-TD20V 3D camcorder, Sony SLT-A65VK for still images, Windows 10 Pro, 64bit
Gary Russell -- TN USA
browniee112 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hi all
-i7 7700hq
-16GB RAM
-nVidia gtx1060 6GB
-512gb M.2 PCie SSD
You have encountered the MSHybrid / nVidia Optimus issue. Simply that PD16 does not recognize the technology and will not utilize the GPU at all. There is another recent thread on this same subject.

I ran across this issue more than a year ago. My solution was to return the MSI laptop and purchased a Sager which allows me to turn off MSHyrid mode in the BIOS. My laptop now boots with the GTX1060 and PD can use it like it should.

Sorry mate that doesn't sound like an acceptable solution on so many levels. PD doesn't say anywhere that it is only compatible with certain makes of laptops. Optimus technology is there for a reason. Also turning off onboard and only running GPU = machine running unnecessarily hot and wasting resources.

NOTE: I accidentally clicked "this answered my question" link and now I can't remove it. This thread is still open and no the questions aren't answered
browniee112 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote here's JL_JL's in depth look at HA in PowerDirector Hardware Acceleration .

happy happy joy joy

PepsiMan
'garbage in garbage out'

Thanks for posting that thread by JL__JL thread about HA in PD.

I read that and now have a few questions, please answer if possible.

Questions:

To keep this simple, lets take a 10 second 3840x2160 clip from a Sony camera, import to PD and put into the timeliine.

Add the enhanced stabilizer to it. When you try to preview it, the app stutters and clip cannot be previewed correctly. I understand this could be a resource intenstive task.

1. What exactly is happening here in PD?

2. Is it GPU or CPU that you need for this stabilizer function?
3. Regardless I shouldn't get stutterirng because I have a reasonably good i7 7700hq 2.8 to 3.4Ghz processor and GTX1060 6GB card, correct?

4. What options should be ticked/unticked in the preferences to get a smooth preview playback here?

5. What is the nVidia driver version details that is guaranteed to work with PD16 and Optimus?

6. Anyone else here in the forum that managed to get PD15/16 working with laptops with recent nVidia GTX 10 series cards? If yes please share what you did.

Thanks heaps in advance!
PepsiMan
Senior Contributor Location: Clarksville, TN Joined: Dec 29, 2010 01:20 Messages: 1054 Offline
[Post New]
i can not answer point by point; however, my experience with PD is that PD can not handle the source's high video bitrate hence now it is equip with different resolution shadow files.
for years, i've been using the substitution method. i couldn't wait for the shadow files to be generated so that i have smooth editing experience. first i've converted 4K, h264/h265, to about 17Mb/sec 1920x1008 using the rocky mountains movie converter .
after edit then i replace it with original. just be careful which is which... ^^

my typical video bitrates for FHD is 44Mb/sec and 4K is 176Mb/sec. PD can handle 4K up to 48Mb/sec...
yup. look at my dell. she's 6 years old and she does 4K! whenever editing keep the source bitrate low but sharp enough... ^^

i am on whql 378.92 on my desktop.

happy happy joy joy

PepsiMan
'garbage in garbage out'

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Jan 13. 2018 18:54

'no bridge too far'

Dell XPS L702X i7-2860QM, W7P / W10P 64, Intel HD3000/nVidia GT 550M 1GB, Micron 16GB/RAM
Samsung Galaxy Note3/NX1
browniee112 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote i can not answer point by point; however, my experience with PD is that PD can not handle the source's high video bitrate hence now it is equip with different resolution shadow files.
for years, i've been using the substitution method. i couldn't wait for the shadow files to be generated so that i have smooth editing experience. first i've converted 4K, h264/h265, to about 17Mb/sec 1920x1008 using the rocky mountains movie converter .
after edit then i replace it with original. just be careful which is which... ^^

my typical video bitrates for FHD is 44Mb/sec and 4K is 176Mb/sec. PD can handle 4K up to 48Mb/sec...
yup. look at my dell. she's 6 years old and she does 4K! whenever editing keep the source bitrate low but sharp enough... ^^

i am on whql 378.92 on my desktop.

happy happy joy joy

PepsiMan
'garbage in garbage out'

Thank you PepsiMan

Just noticed you have an NX1, me too! With a 16-50S and 45/1.8. Which is why I switched to PD as it was one of the earlier adopters of hevc editing. But currently just using my a6500 for travel videos due to being a bit more portable than the NX1.

Back to topic, I just wanted similar editing experience of my gf's MacBook Pro 2017 (similar i7 7700hq processor and ram but with lower spec graphics card than my gruntier windows laptop). The Mac with free inbuilt iMovie imports and edits 4k hevc files from NX1 without needing shadow files and no lag whatsoever. Worked right out of the box with no issues.

iMovie is super easy to use with heaps of necessary options without being overwhelming as premiere pro. PD is the closest alternative I could find that is easy to use with lots of editing options which is why I love it and being persistent in getting it to work!

I just want PD to work with my newest laptop and make my $2400 investment worthwhile lol!
browniee112 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Just a small update to advise that the work around somewhat works to an extent. I have attached a screenshot of my GPU being utilized and it shows the max reading.
[Thumb - GPUz-Rendering.gif]
 Filename
GPUz-Rendering.gif
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
23 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
115 time(s)
PepsiMan
[Post New]
it'll be very helpful which nVidia driver version is kicking a**. ^^

happy happy joy joy

PpesiMan
'garbage in garbage out' 'no bridge too far'

Samsung Galaxy Note3/NX1
Westcoast604 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 29, 2017 16:37 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
Sorry but the fact remains the work arounds are next to useless. I have had extensive - somewhat angry phonecalls and emails with cyberlink. The bottom line... they don't care and have no plans to change their coding to properly intigrate with NVidias Optimus technology.

Nvidia refuses to recognize cyberlink software and allow activation of the Dedicated graphics card becasue as they say"Its buggy and causes their cards to crash" which then casues customers to call them and complain about their cards crashing and freezing during renders in cyberlink.

I went back and forth between the two groups and cyberlink finally just refunded my money and I moved on to Davinci, which is the smoothest rendering software I have ever used.- So well written. The free software for non professional use is amazing and light years ahead of Cyberlink. It just doesn't have all the cool easy transitions and titling etc that cyberlink has.

If you do all your video edits and color corrections in Davinci, then import to cyberlink to finish off with cool effects thats about the only effective workaround I see.

I really wish Cyberlink - yes you.. would fix your buggy code.
Roland vl [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 23, 2017 03:44 Messages: 39 Offline
[Post New]
Quote ...
I went back and forth between the two groups and cyberlink finally just refunded my money and I moved on to Davinci, which is the smoothest rendering software I have ever used.- So well written. The free software for non professional use is amazing and light years ahead of Cyberlink. It just doesn't have all the cool easy transitions and titling etc that cyberlink has.

If you do all your video edits and color corrections in Davinci, then import to cyberlink to finish off with cool effects thats about the only effective workaround I see. ....

Davinci, pfff... They have even problems in reading mts-files: see here https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=75853

Success?
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]
We are locking this thread before it escalates into a heated discussion about which editing software is "better". This is an old post that the OP received a satisfying solution to some extent. It should now act as a resource thread.

If you have any questions about advice offered in this thread, simply start a new topic and reference this one.

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

For customer support related issues, please contact:
- Customer service: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do
- Technical support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do