Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
UHD 4k Blu-ray Disc Creation
[Post New]
Does any Cyberlink or competing product support creation of UHD 4k Discs with a Pioneer BDR-S11BK or similar device?

I know that Cyberlink sells software that can burn to BDXL discs. However, the ads say nothing explicit about burning 4k content, and the products may simply burn 1920x1080 material to the larger discs.

Cyberlink also has an Ultra HD Blu-ray Advisor tool that tells people whether their PCs can play UHD discs. However, this does not appear to advise whether the PCs can burn 4k content to any sort of optical discs.

PD16 does not appear to support creation of UHD 4k disc images or folders that could be burnt to BDXL or plain BD discs. Without UHD content in h.265 codec, properly formatted for disc creation, one cannot create 4k discs that will actually play on UHD optical drives.

Various burner / player + software bundles insinuate "UHD support," but some may not actually burn UHD 4k content, but at most play UHD discs, if one has certain PC spec. If they burn DVD or 1920x1080 BD discs, that is not the full task people expect if they want to creat UHD 4k discs.

As of this date, I am not aware of any retail PC / software vendor that offers out-of-the-box capacity to burn UHD 4k content to BDXL discs that will play on any UHD 4k player. Since Cyberlink introduced h.265 support sooner than almost anyone else, I assumed the firm might offer UHD / 4k disc image creation and burning support by now, but apparently that is not so.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 20. 2017 10:06

PowerDirector 12 (pondering 16)
Toshiba Qosmio X875, i7 3630QM 2.4 ghz, 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX 670M with 3GB video RAM.
HDC-SDT750, HX9V, GoPro Hero HD, LX7, LX100. Looking for, but cannot find, gear and software to author UHD 4k discs.
Eugen157
Senior Contributor Location: Palm Springs area, So.CA Joined: Dec 10, 2012 13:57 Messages: 662 Offline
[Post New]
Well, I am in the same boat. All my videos are in 4K and no means to put them on a BR like you can with HD BR. All we can hope for ist that an inovator like Cyberlink will add it to their features, like in PD17.

In the meantime I burn a UHD HEVC file to a BR disc and it works in a Samsung UHD player. No titles etc.

CL has a list were you can request any features for the next edition and please do so, the list will close VERY SOON.

Eugene 73s, WA6JZN ex DL9GC
CYBERLINK PLEASE ADD UHD BLU RAY BURNING SOFTWARE
PD14,
Win10,64bit.CPU i7 6700,16GB ,C= 480 GB SSD ,GPU GTX1060 6GB 1 fan. Plus 3 int, 4 ext HDD's for video etc.LG WH16NS40 reads UHD.
4K 24" ViewSonic monitor.Camera Sony FDR-A
[Post New]
Well, I am in the same boat. All my videos are in 4K and no means to put them on a BR like you can with HD BR. All we can hope for ist that an inovator like Cyberlink will add it to their features, like in PD17.

I am perplexed that PowerDVD plays UHD 4k discs, but PD16 cannot create them. Admittedly, few people have the comensurate CPU or 4k burning hardware, but it does exist and is not ultra-expensive. It is also wacky that someone retails Pioneer 4k optical (play only) drives with CL software that is suitable for HD but not UHD burning.

In the meantime I burn a UHD HEVC file to a BR disc and it works in a Samsung UHD player. No titles etc.

Is this simply a UHD 4k h.264 MP4 file burnt to a 25GB BD disc as if it were a data disc? Did you burn the disc with an ordinary BD burner (not a UHD one)? Will it work (and use less disc space) if you use h.265 format (which PD allows)? Will the Samsung player find and play the files automatically, using off-the-shelf firmware? Or must you hunt for the files manually or employ a file search feature unique to your Samsung model? In other words, what happens if you insert the same disc in your PC's BD drive (with or without PowerDVD)? Does your PC have UHD graphics and display? Or what if you insert the disc in someone else's UHD BD player?

CL has a list were you can request any features for the next edition and please do so, the list will close VERY SOON.

My fear is that CL, much like other NLE or video software publishers, has not updated disc creation features since about 2012, and may see little reason to do so if most video sharing migrates to online streaming. The paradox is that little, if any, online video will be streamed or viewed with 4k resolution. It is irrelevant to tiny mobile device screens. People with large 4k displays or home theatres are a niche. The sub-niche with an appetite to create 4k content may have little sway on market developments.

Conversely, pre-millenials fond of physical media may be the segment least likely to upgrade to 4k. They would rant if 4k discs did not play on a 1996 DVD player, or might not see any difference on a <55" screen at 15' distance, even with brand new eyeglasses. But it is not their fault that most video content is not optiized for 4k anyway.

That said, it would cost CL very little to enable PD to with UHD, more or less the same it can already do for HD, for optical discs. It will be even easier if one can create UHD discs with cheap 25GB BD-R media. CL would merely have to warn buyers not to expect this to work if their PC does not meet certain spec or if their disc player is not UHD. BD or DVD players that merely upscale HD or SD content would not qualify.
Eugene

[Moderation Note:

Hi Gentlemen, I altered the formatting to try to remove the issue of spanning the page. Hope it suits!]

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Dec 15. 2017 05:35

PowerDirector 12 (pondering 16)
Toshiba Qosmio X875, i7 3630QM 2.4 ghz, 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX 670M with 3GB video RAM.
HDC-SDT750, HX9V, GoPro Hero HD, LX7, LX100. Looking for, but cannot find, gear and software to author UHD 4k discs.
Eugen157
Senior Contributor Location: Palm Springs area, So.CA Joined: Dec 10, 2012 13:57 Messages: 662 Offline
[Post New]
Yes, it is burned as a file and some UHD players like the Samsung will play it as a file. HEVC works best, other UHD formats may have some hickups.

To my knowlledge the Samsung and the Oppo are the only ones that will play this material. Phillips will not.

I use a bitrate of 50Mb and up, the playback PQ is very close to the original. Surprisingly HEVC recorded on a 4.7DVD works fine too!

CL could design a UHD burning plugin, paid for seperately not part of a PD, that would also burn UHD files produced on other brand NLEs.

I use a 1 year old internal LG player/burner, it will read the data on ALL of my UHD discs but will ot course not decode. One, Rocky Mountain Express an IMAX copy is out of this world, produced on a 50GB dissc. Most others are 66Gb and the LG sees them too.

If you read the wish list you will find some good arguments why this would be easily to do, the file structure and names are the same as BR and only the content is different. And ony a few files are pertinent. Something along the line of TsMuxer.

Do not forget to put you name on the wish list please

Eugene

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 21. 2017 18:41

73s, WA6JZN ex DL9GC
CYBERLINK PLEASE ADD UHD BLU RAY BURNING SOFTWARE
PD14,
Win10,64bit.CPU i7 6700,16GB ,C= 480 GB SSD ,GPU GTX1060 6GB 1 fan. Plus 3 int, 4 ext HDD's for video etc.LG WH16NS40 reads UHD.
4K 24" ViewSonic monitor.Camera Sony FDR-A
Jets2011
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Sep 29, 2006 05:26 Messages: 760 Offline
[Post New]
Hello,

There you go gents. The answers to why there is no UHD BD burning in PowerDirector 16 in the latest PD News letter. Straight from the person that knows: https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/64399.page

Dave
GGRussell [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Jan 08, 2012 11:38 Messages: 709 Offline
[Post New]
Quote However, there is some positive news to report as there is now a draft spec for Ultra HD Blu-ray burning, and we will be considering this feature for a future version once the spec is set.
Although I understand Cyberlinks position on this, I feel there has been colution within the indsutry with Intel since the 'playback' requirements are strictly Intel chipset like SGX and 7th adn 8th gen Intel CPU ONLY. I'm sure this is just another way to keep pirates from copying 4K Bluray discs, but it also makes it near impossible for consumer editing/burning. Consumers don't need that kind of security and should be able to edit/create home UHD without such strict requirements.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 15. 2017 02:39