Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD13 only using 1.2Gb of available 32Gb of Ram??
[Post New]
Okay full disclousre, I'm a dumb hillbilly and have no clue about video editing. That being said, is there anyway to tell PD13 to use more ram? I can scrub through 4k video faster/smoother in Premiere Pro, then I can with 1080p video in PD13. Premiere Pro gladly eats up 8-10Gb of Ram. I know PD13 and Premiere Pro can't really be compared, but I'm looking for ways to improve performance.

I love using PD13 for it's ease of use, and clean interface. Thanks for any help. laughing

My system specs:

i7 4790k @4.6Ghz, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, 32Gb 2400mhz Corsair Dominator Platinum, 2 Samsung 850 Pro 512gb SSD's in RAID 0, 2 Hitachi Deskstar 4tb storage drives, Corsair H100i watercooling, Corsair 1200i PSU, EVGA GTX 980ti, Windows 8.1 64 Bit

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 08. 2015 11:17

CV27 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Feb 13, 2011 13:51 Messages: 77 Offline
[Post New]
In my case, PD13 will gladly eat up almost all of my 16GB and 100% cpu (i7-4770) on the some tasks (but not all).

It's true though that at idle with a 3hr movie and 550 clips, it only commits 1.4GB

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 08. 2015 14:41

I7-4770, 3.40Ghz, 16GB RAM, Asus Z87-Plus Z87chipset, Sapphire ATI Radeon HD7850 PCI Express-16 3.0 2GB, Samsung EVO 840 SSD 1TB
[Post New]
Quote: In my case, PD13 will gladly eat up almost all of my 16GB and 100% cpu (i7-4770) on the some tasks (but not all).

It's true though that at idle with a 3hr movie and 550 clips, it only commits 1.4GB

Oh really? Wonder if I'm doing something wrong?
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: In my case, PD13 will gladly eat up almost all of my 16GB and 100% cpu (i7-4770) on the some tasks (but not all).

CV27, post a pic of your timeline and PD13.exe using 16GB, I'd like to see that. I sure can't come close to that. OP was addressing memory during timeline scrubbing, I've never seen anything near 16GB for such activity and would welcome a pic. To my knowledge no signficant timeline section is preloaded in RAM so it's read as you scrub along the timeline.

Most memory I've seen utilized is during encoding, not timeline scrubbing. Attached are a couple of pics showing a 3x3 video wall, total of nine, 4K 59.94fps 50Mbps video files and CPU encoding thereof. Probably a significant load for any system, max memory used during 4K 50Mbps H.264 encode, 4.8GB. Again, nothing I really see in this serial encode process to be a memory hog, computationaly intensive to encode is all.

DaveImagery, what you are seeing for memory usage is typical for what I've seen with PD. If you want to speed up timeline scrubbing only real effective method I know is to create shadowfiles which is another very slow process. You turn these on in pref > General "Enable HD video processing" and then wait for the left corner of each HD clip in the library to get a green movie icon before editing. Hopefully PD14 offers some significantly improved timeline performance, long overdue.

Jeff
[Thumb - Memory_TL.png]
 Filename
Memory_TL.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
373 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
110 time(s)
[Thumb - Memory.png]
 Filename
Memory.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
1427 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
106 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 08. 2015 20:35

[Post New]
Quote:

CV27, post a pic of your timeline and PD13.exe using 16GB, I'd like to see that. I sure can't come close to that. OP was addressing memory during timeline scrubbing, I've never seen anything near 16GB for such activity and would welcome a pic. To my knowledge no signficant timeline section is preloaded in RAM so it's read as you scrub along the timeline.

Most memory I've seen utilized is during encoding, not timeline scrubbing. Attached are a couple of pics showing a 3x3 video wall, total of nine, 4K 59.94fps 50Mbps video files and CPU encoding thereof. Probably a significant load for any system, max memory used during 4K 50Mbps H.264 encode, 4.8GB. Again, nothing I really see in this serial encode process to be a memory hog, computationaly intensive to encode is all.

DaveImagery, what you are seeing for memory usage is typical for what I've seen with PD. If you want to speed up timeline scrubbing only real effective method I know is to create shadowfiles which is another very slow process. You turn these on in pref > General "Enable HD video processing" and then wait for the left corner of each HD clip in the library to get a green movie icon before editing. Hopefully PD14 offers some significantly improved timeline performance, long overdue.

Jeff

Thanks for all the info Jeff.

I guess I was just expecting PD13 to be using more ram than it does, since it's a 64Bit program.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 08. 2015 21:06

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:
I guess I was just expecting PD13 to be using more ram than it does, since it's a 64Bit program.

A 64-bit program simply determines maximum memory space a particular application can address, if required, not that it has to use all the available RAM. How much a particular program uses depends on coding architecture of the program and what the programmers see as value added to retain in RAM.

Generally most like a frugal RAM footprint unless an advantage to use more RAM, it’s always very easy to write bloat software that uses a lot of RAM needlessly.

Jeff
[Post New]
Interesting. I dismantled my 2 850 Pro SSD raid 0 array, because the Crucial SSD in my wife's computer died, and I (very kindly) donated one of mine to her system.

Running PD13 again with a single drive, I'm noticing no reduction in speed when scrubbing through video. Which seems odd. You would think raid 0 would be much faster?

Also been experimenting with enabling/disabling the Samsung Rapid mode for the single drive, in which up to 2gb of my 32gb of ram is used to supposedly further speed up the system. PD13 actually seems worse, with it on.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 16. 2015 15:34

CV27 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Feb 13, 2011 13:51 Messages: 77 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Interesting. I dismantled my 2 850 Pro SSD raid 0 array...

Running PD13 again with a single drive, I'm noticing no reduction in speed when scrubbing through video. Which seems odd. You would think raid 0 would be much faster?

I'm sure you did the typical initial performance tests when you got your SSD's and found that Raid 0 had clear benefits. In real life though, as with PD13 and scrubbing, resource usage in memory and CPU are so intense that disk access becomes less visible. But Raid 0 is still a winner for disk intensive tasks (boot, program load, long copies..).

Quote: ... Also been experimenting with enabling/disabling the Samsung Rapid mode for the single drive, in which up to 2gb of my 32gb of ram is used to supposedly further speed up the system. PD13 actually seems worse, with it on.

My 850 Pro is also set up at 2GB. I was not totally impressed with the performance boost from my initial tests having it On and Off. But I sure wouldn't go back to HDD. I7-4770, 3.40Ghz, 16GB RAM, Asus Z87-Plus Z87chipset, Sapphire ATI Radeon HD7850 PCI Express-16 3.0 2GB, Samsung EVO 840 SSD 1TB
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote: Interesting. I dismantled my 2 850 Pro SSD raid 0 array...

I'm sure you did the typical initial performance tests when you got your SSD's and found that Raid 0 had clear benefits. In real life though, as with PD13 and scrubbing, resource usage in memory and CPU are so intense that disk access becomes less visible. But Raid 0 is still a winner for disk intensive tasks (boot, program load, long copies..).

Quote: ... Also been experimenting with enabling/disabling the Samsung Rapid mode for the single drive, in which up to 2gb of my 32gb of ram is used to supposedly further speed up the system. PD13 actually seems worse, with it on.

My 850 Pro is also set up at 2GB. I was not totally impressed with the performance boost from my initial tests having it On and Off. But I sure wouldn't go back to HDD.

A little while back there was a firmware problem with my first drive, an 840 Pro. I was referred to a ssd tech at Samsung for troubleshooting. While I had him on the phone, I asked him about Rapid mode, and did it actually increase performance. His response was surprising. "In a few situations yes, but for the most part not really." Guess he didn't get the marketing memo. lol

Also discovered you can't benchmark the drive while in rapid mode. Depending on the benchmarking utility. It either won't benchmark at all, or the results will be inflated to hell. Have to disable rapid, reboot, then test it. Then re-enable rapid, and reboot. Not very convenient. I suppose there are some sort of algarhythms, which learn what programs you most frequently use, and throws them into ram, for faster loading, but I'm afraid I just don't see any real performance boost.

Next step up in performance, would be one of those sexy Intel 750 PCIE drives. 2.0Gb read/writes!