Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
shadow files on SDD drive
[Post New]
I have installed a very fast USB 3.0 external SDD drive. Passmark shows it over 10 times faster than any installed hard drives. Now I want ALL of PowerDirector's disk activities to use the SDD drive, so that my editing and rendering are faster (I want to exploit the SDD drive in PD13). This would include the HD shadow files, and any other "work" spaces PD uses on a hard drive. I understand that the program is installed on my C drive drive, and short of uninstalling and reinstalling there's nothing I can do about that. But how do I get PD to use the SDD drive for shadow files, etc? I have already relocated the "VIDEO" folder to the SDD drive using the Windows relocate library function. Are there INI files I can modify to point PD to the SDD drive?

I'm using Windows 8.1

Thanks!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 25. 2015 21:08

Previously known as PDuser97031 (had to create a new user after changing email address)
[Post New]
It doesn't help, it will just wear out your SSD.
I tried to use SSD or even a RAM disc (much faster than the SSD) and I had not seen any improvement - and I have a 6 core/12 threads CPU.
The actual write speed on HDD is very low... you can check it with the "Resource Monitor".
Other are the limitations.
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
Were you aware that solid state drives have what is called a "write life" This is the amount of times,or cycles, that can be written to it.

You may find the info here useful:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2043634/how-to-stretch-the-life-of-your-ssd-storage.html Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
[Post New]
I tried using PD workbooks, in my unit, C (SSD) and did not notice any improvement, then returned to use another HD, to relieve my SSD. C: AMD-FX 8350 / 8GB DDR3
SSD SUV400S37240G / 2-HD WD 1TB
AMD Radeon R9 270 / AOC M2470SWD
Windows 7-64 / PD16 Ultimate
CV27 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Feb 13, 2011 13:51 Messages: 77 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Were you aware that solid state drives have what is called a "write life" This is the amount of times,or cycles, that can be written to it...

My Samsung 840 EVO 1T is rated at 1.5M hours with a 3 year warranty. I'm not remotely worried about running our of write cycles.

I'll probably drop this SSD because of new technologies, beyond M2 PCIe, or greater capacity/$ - long before the 840 EVO dies. I7-4770, 3.40Ghz, 16GB RAM, Asus Z87-Plus Z87chipset, Sapphire ATI Radeon HD7850 PCI Express-16 3.0 2GB, Samsung EVO 840 SSD 1TB
[Post New]
OK, if anybody's interested, here's what I've discovered. First a little background. I'm doing a video biography of a WWII Navy pilot and Lockheed test pilot based on 14 hours of video interviews I've done with him. Naturally I want editing and rendering to go as fast as I can afford! The PC I'm using has the following:

CPU - Intel i7-3630QM. This has turbospeed up to 3.6 ghz
Mem: 8ghz sdram pc3-12800
Video Card: Nvidia GTX 660 with 2048M ram
HD C; 7200 rpm sata3; F: 350G solid state on USB 3.0
The passmark.com Passmark Rating rating of the computer is 2340. CPU Mark is 8457. 2D graphics mark is 650 (what PD mainly uses), memory mark is 2290, disk mark of the SSD drive is 3075!

By doing the following, editing and rendering performance has noticeably improved (subjective guess: 20-30%). I can render 16 minutes of video in 4 minutes. The "pregnant pauses" that existed during editing are mostly gone.

1. All project files on SSD (input and output).

2. "Video" library on SSD. Do this by right click video library, choose properties, change location to F: This relocates folders ShadowEditFiles and Preview Cache Files to F:

3. Searched all PD INI files for drive locations -- none found that are relevant

4. Searched windows registry for all PD drive locations -- changed C: to F: on all work areas.

All of my source files are backed up on two other drives. Rendered clips are copied from the F: drive to the C: drive.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 27. 2015 19:53

Previously known as PDuser97031 (had to create a new user after changing email address)
garioch7
Senior Contributor Location: Port Hood, Nova Scotia, Canada Joined: Feb 07, 2011 06:45 Messages: 852 Offline
[Post New]
I recently purchased a SAMSUNG 850 Pro, 1 TB SSD. SSD drives are becoming much more reliable. My drive is guaranteed to write 300 TB or last ten years, whichever comes first. I have had it about six months now. It has only written 1.49 TB in that time, and it is my primary OS drive (C:\), with 152 GB used for programs and data.

You can't get that kind of guarantee with mechanical hard drives, and the performance is stellar. Windows Experience Score is 7.9 - doesn't go any higher than that.

Samsung SSD warranties

Samsung Pro drives are pricey, but to me, worth the investment.

Just added for the information of any here who might be considering the purchase of an SSD. I was put on to the Samsung Pro 850 SSD series by the good folks at Maingear who custom-built my computer. I had previously been under the impression that SSDs were unreliable and short-lived.

Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil Windows 10 Pro x64
Dell XPS 8930
Intel CoreT i7 (4.6 GHz)
32 GB DDR4-2666 RAM
1 TB PCIe -x4 SSD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
PD14 Ultimate x64, 4207
CD4 Ultra and AD6 Ultra
Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor