Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Quote The "chain" (link) icon is for embedding content posted on image sharing sites, like Imgur.

As for the Crop/Zoom/Pan window, unfortunately the preview window size remains fixed no matter how big the size of the tool window

I sometimes find it easier to work with when the window is the default size because there's a smaller difference between the active and preview window sizes.

When higher positioning accuracy is required, I use the full size window and rely on the active frame for precise positioning. I pretty much ignore the preview except for checking for black edges when the content window ends up offscreen during motion arcs. They're surprisinly easy to see even in that small view.

I agree that it would be nice to have some control over the preview window size, and that's something you can bring to Cyberlink's attention by using File | Rate US & Provide Suggestions

So are you saying you just estimate it in the crop area, click OK and then look at it after? Many times I haven't been able to make heads or tails out of that little crop preview especially if I'm rotating the video. Completely disorienting then. Thanks.

That's correct. You can upload your screenshot to an image sharing website like Imgur and paste the link to the hosted pic in the image box; or you can save the screenshot as a JPG/PNG on your PC and than use the Attachments button under the forum text box:

Thanks! The top has the chain looking thing which is often the sign for attachments, then the picture upload which looks like where you add images on other forums but I hadn't noticed the box below.

Thanks for the reply. Is it possible we're not talking about the same thing? If you crop a video you get the large preview screen and, on the right, the tiny preview of how it looks after you've cropped it. That's what I am asking about.
I would show a screenshot I made but in the area "insert/edit image" it doesn't allow access to files on my PC. It's worded like "inserk link" It has the message:
"The provided URL must have the HTTPS protocol to use this feature"

This is what I'm talking about. That tiny little window on the right.
Quote You could undock the preview screen and expand it to full screen temporarily. You could also resize the preview screen by placing the mouse cursor between the media library and preview screen border until you see a double headed arrow. You can then click and drag to the left and release. Do the same with the border between the preview screen and the timeline tracks.

If you watch the Sharper Turtle videos on YouTube then you will see that Jim does this resizeing effortlessly to show the library area, preview screen, and timeline tracks. These are good examples of resizing PD17 components on the fly..

Thanks for the reply. Is it possible we're not talking about the same thing? If you crop a video you get the large preview screen and, on the right, the tiny preview of how it looks after you've cropped it. That's what I am asking about.
I would show a screenshot I made but in the area "insert/edit image" it doesn't allow access to files on my PC. It's worded like "inserk link" It has the message:
"The provided URL must have the HTTPS protocol to use this feature"
When I crop a video the window showing what it looks like after cropping is too small for me to clearly see what I'm doing. Is there a way to get a bigger preview window size. Thanks
Quote What I was asking for is a screenshot of the actual clip on the timeline, or perhaps a short video showing the kind of motion you need to track to blur out. You don't need to try to blur it out before posting unless there's other content that you don't want to be shared.

You can use this Attachments button under the forum text box for screenshots and short video clips under 5MB in size:

Yes, I guess that's the thing. Nothing too alarming, just not sure I want it on the general web until it's done. Even then it's really only for a small niche audiance as a bit of promo. It seems like I'm making some progress but only halfway through so may find I'm disappointed once I see it more clearly. Thanks.
Quote It would probably help to share a short sample or a couple of screenshots so we could see exactly what you have to deal with. Often an experienced member can come up with a simple solution as soon as they see the actual clip. If instead the solution will be more involved, they'll have a much better description of the likely steps involved.

OK. I'm experimenting with trying to block it rather than blur it right now but it still seems a bit obvious. Not sure if I can give a good example but will see if I can. Thanks
Quote You could get creative on this one. ColorDirector can be used to remove that performer and place him or her in a different setting or background enviroment or simply place the performer back in the same but completely blurred background. That would involve more work.

Thanks. That's very cool to know about. I wasn't aware of it but have many videos where the background ruins the whole thing. This particular one really just has that one tiny (but irritating) part but it's right where it can't be cropped out. So II'll work on trying to minimize it's presence.
Quote You can try motion tracking on the flashing sign if it moves to a different location in the video like capture from a moving car or train window. If it is stationary then put a different object like a different sign in front of it.

Thanks for the reply. It's a mounted camera on a music performance. But over 30 minutes there are about 15 different crops to accentuate a performer etc. Don't know if sticking something in front of it that looks natural will be possible but I'll make some tries. I guess the thing that's most annoying about the way it looks now are the hard edges the blur has. Could you say if there's a way to make the edges fit into the background better? Thanks
I have a flashing advertising sign with moving letters in a video that I want to obscure. It takes up maybe 1/200th of the whole space. I made the video and blurred it. I had hoped it would blend into the background instead of putting a black box over it. It's still distracting. Any suggestions on the best way to get rid of it. It's positions change as I crop the scene in many places so I have to go back and locate it. Thanks
Thanks. next time I do a project I'll be checking this out.
Quote I'm not sure why you're seeing that. Typically, I use only the second monitor for full screen previewing of critical sections, and only rarely because it's so taxing on the CPU.

However, the 2nd monitor is only for display, and all the editing takes place on the monitor with the main PD window.

That's what I'm trying to do. My normal setup is to leave the laptop screen off and use the larger external monitor. With PD17 I extend the display (Win10) to the laptop. When I put the video display on full screen I can't do any editing on the external monitor where everything is: like the timeline, cropping window etc. It doesn't seem to be too big a drain. It's a gaming laptop so pretty capable that way. It's a shame too because I'm just looking at a video I thought I'd finished but now see small detailed errors I couldn't see before so will have to redo some things. The one thing in the non-full screen video on the extra display that might be a problem is this (somewhat irritating) box where every time I make a change in a clip I have to go back and set it to movie (instead of clip) so the video will go to the next clip. Maybe there a keyboard short cut for that procedure? If there's a workaround to allow full screen video display on the laptop and still be able to edit on the monitor I'd appreciate knowing how to do it. Thanks
I enabled a 2nd monitor and dragged the video display over. When I make it full screen and try to edit anything on the timeline I get error beeps and can't do anything else until I minimize the display. Is there a way to avoid this? Thanks

So what version of PD do you think had s as default split hotkey?

My PD8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,and 17 all have Ctrl T as split as it's "Split at Current Time".

Any chance you maybe did a custom hotkey at PD16 or even a prior PD version since it's been around since PD11 and changed it to s yourself?

Jeff

Interesting! I guess I did if that's what the default is for PD16. Not as heinous as changing s to control-t from 16 to 17 but shows the lack of attention to streamlining in this program. Why make someone remember if its control or shift and t instead of s. I switched from Vegas to this because of problems with multiple videos. It was better that way but I was struck by all the extra, unnecessary steps I had to take for some of the most common tasks in pd16. Like I said above, especially with cropping. I don't need to call it a "power tool". I shouldn't have to reset crop to free form every time but there seems to be no ability reset it's default. I shouldn't have to click in the middle of every crop to show the edges. These were all steps that make each crop a 6 click procedure when just hitting eg. c for crop and let me get started would have been the way to do it much simpler from the get go. Still, thanks for reminding me that some hotkeys can be changed as I'd forgotten.
Quote I don't think your Logitech HD webcam C310 has zooming feature. maybe it's done some other software. (Logitech driver?)
hence, you need to disable it first.

Logitech pretty much completely abandoned support of any but their newest webcams for win10. I downloaded the latest and it wouldn't recognize my webcam. Then I looked on youtube at their video on this logi progfram and all the comments below it talked about how they couldn't get it to recognize their webcams either.
Is there any way to manually focus my webcam? I have it full zoomed, 1280x960,Logitech HD webcam C310 and move the box to where it should focus but it's completely blurry. Thanks for any tips to manually focus.
Quote You can take full control over all the keyboard shortcurts. There are also dozens that are available but that aren't defined by default.

You just need to go to the Preferences > Editing screen and click on the Customize button under Keyboard hotkeys:

Change and set all the hotkeys you want, and then click on Save as to save them. PD will then use these from now on. The next time you update PD to a new version, simply go to the same screen and use the Import button to use these hotkeys in the new version.

Really! That's great news. I use shortcuts in a lot of different software so it's hard keeping track of all of them. Especially audio editing. It has it's own shortcuts and the one I use, Reaper, has more intuitive shortcuts. Some common shortcut commands, between different software, go a long way to help especially if I don't use the software (like PD17) for months at a time. It works for split but I couldn't assign a shortcut for video crop. Thanks for pointing that out. However, the person at Cyberlink who decided to change the default shortcut for split from s to control-t should be reassigned.
On PD16 I was often regretting the poor selection of keyboard shortcuts. Like why I couldn't just shortcut "crop" with c, or in fact any shortcut at all. To add a marker I had to remember to press shift+m, instead of control+m but why not just "m". For me it's the most frequent repetitive task. Now I'm trying PD17 for the 1st time and go to split a video on the timeline by pressing s. Nothing happens. I look it it up. It's now control+t. What's the purpose for that? Is it to say there have been eg. 42 changes from PD16 to PD17. To me the weakness in this program has always been the remarkable number of extra steps I must make for some of the most common tasks (especially cropping) but why would someone change split from s to control+t?
Quote You just need to set the Export folder to the desired location:

You will also need to close PD and then re-open it for the change to take effect. This setting affects screenshots and all clips produced in full or by using Produce Range.

OK> I"ll give it a try. Thanks!
How do I change the default folder where snapshots of the display go? Currently I'm trying many different snapshots. Each time I have to change it to another folder requiring 4 clicks. The next time I do a new snapshot it goes back to the original folder not the one I last saved to? Thanks
Quote As I wrote in my earlier post, all you have to do is take a PNG or BMP snapshot.

The full resolution screen capture will be taken, saved to the default folder (or the one that you specified when saving the file), and added to the media library. Simply click on the camera icon under the preview window to do that.

If for any reason that isn't high enough quality for you, please attach the image to your reply using this forum button:

Also, what is the resolution of your source clips? Right click on each one anywhere in PD and choose View Properties

Good you mentioned that about checking each pics properties. I thought I had done the one screen capture as PNG but hadn't. So it got it up to 5mb. I then saved the snapshot of the display as PNG. Thanks!
Go to: