Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Blur or block small section of video?
FrancoisT [Avatar]
Member Joined: Apr 26, 2010 15:03 Messages: 115 Offline
[Post New]
I have a flashing advertising sign with moving letters in a video that I want to obscure. It takes up maybe 1/200th of the whole space. I made the video and blurred it. I had hoped it would blend into the background instead of putting a black box over it. It's still distracting. Any suggestions on the best way to get rid of it. It's positions change as I crop the scene in many places so I have to go back and locate it. Thanks

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 05. 2020 16:25

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
You can try motion tracking on the flashing sign if it moves to a different location in the video like capture from a moving car or train window. If it is stationary then put a different object like a different sign in front of it.
FrancoisT [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote You can try motion tracking on the flashing sign if it moves to a different location in the video like capture from a moving car or train window. If it is stationary then put a different object like a different sign in front of it.

Thanks for the reply. It's a mounted camera on a music performance. But over 30 minutes there are about 15 different crops to accentuate a performer etc. Don't know if sticking something in front of it that looks natural will be possible but I'll make some tries. I guess the thing that's most annoying about the way it looks now are the hard edges the blur has. Could you say if there's a way to make the edges fit into the background better? Thanks

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 06. 2020 18:34

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
You could get creative on this one. ColorDirector can be used to remove that performer and place him or her in a different setting or background enviroment or simply place the performer back in the same but completely blurred background. That would involve more work.
FrancoisT [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote You could get creative on this one. ColorDirector can be used to remove that performer and place him or her in a different setting or background enviroment or simply place the performer back in the same but completely blurred background. That would involve more work.

Thanks. That's very cool to know about. I wasn't aware of it but have many videos where the background ruins the whole thing. This particular one really just has that one tiny (but irritating) part but it's right where it can't be cropped out. So II'll work on trying to minimize it's presence.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
It would probably help to share a short sample or a couple of screenshots so we could see exactly what you have to deal with. Often an experienced member can come up with a simple solution as soon as they see the actual clip. If instead the solution will be more involved, they'll have a much better description of the likely steps involved.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
FrancoisT [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote It would probably help to share a short sample or a couple of screenshots so we could see exactly what you have to deal with. Often an experienced member can come up with a simple solution as soon as they see the actual clip. If instead the solution will be more involved, they'll have a much better description of the likely steps involved.

OK. I'm experimenting with trying to block it rather than blur it right now but it still seems a bit obvious. Not sure if I can give a good example but will see if I can. Thanks
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
What I was asking for is a screenshot of the actual clip on the timeline, or perhaps a short video showing the kind of motion you need to track to blur out. You don't need to try to blur it out before posting unless there's other content that you don't want to be shared.

You can use this Attachments button under the forum text box for screenshots and short video clips under 5MB in size:

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
FrancoisT [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote What I was asking for is a screenshot of the actual clip on the timeline, or perhaps a short video showing the kind of motion you need to track to blur out. You don't need to try to blur it out before posting unless there's other content that you don't want to be shared.

You can use this Attachments button under the forum text box for screenshots and short video clips under 5MB in size:

Yes, I guess that's the thing. Nothing too alarming, just not sure I want it on the general web until it's done. Even then it's really only for a small niche audiance as a bit of promo. It seems like I'm making some progress but only halfway through so may find I'm disappointed once I see it more clearly. Thanks.