Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Keyboard shortcuts were already unintuitive on 16 now worse on 17
FrancoisT [Avatar]
Member Joined: Apr 26, 2010 15:03 Messages: 115 Offline
[Post New]
On PD16 I was often regretting the poor selection of keyboard shortcuts. Like why I couldn't just shortcut "crop" with c, or in fact any shortcut at all. To add a marker I had to remember to press shift+m, instead of control+m but why not just "m". For me it's the most frequent repetitive task. Now I'm trying PD17 for the 1st time and go to split a video on the timeline by pressing s. Nothing happens. I look it it up. It's now control+t. What's the purpose for that? Is it to say there have been eg. 42 changes from PD16 to PD17. To me the weakness in this program has always been the remarkable number of extra steps I must make for some of the most common tasks (especially cropping) but why would someone change split from s to control+t?
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
You can take full control over all the keyboard shortcurts. There are also dozens that are available but that aren't defined by default.

You just need to go to the Preferences > Editing screen and click on the Customize button under Keyboard hotkeys:

Change and set all the hotkeys you want, and then click on Save as to save them. PD will then use these from now on. The next time you update PD to a new version, simply go to the same screen and use the Import button to use these hotkeys in the new version.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
FrancoisT [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote You can take full control over all the keyboard shortcurts. There are also dozens that are available but that aren't defined by default.

You just need to go to the Preferences > Editing screen and click on the Customize button under Keyboard hotkeys:

Change and set all the hotkeys you want, and then click on Save as to save them. PD will then use these from now on. The next time you update PD to a new version, simply go to the same screen and use the Import button to use these hotkeys in the new version.

Really! That's great news. I use shortcuts in a lot of different software so it's hard keeping track of all of them. Especially audio editing. It has it's own shortcuts and the one I use, Reaper, has more intuitive shortcuts. Some common shortcut commands, between different software, go a long way to help especially if I don't use the software (like PD17) for months at a time. It works for split but I couldn't assign a shortcut for video crop. Thanks for pointing that out. However, the person at Cyberlink who decided to change the default shortcut for split from s to control-t should be reassigned.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Aug 11. 2019 09:46

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote However, the person at Cyberlink who decided to change the default shortcut for split from s to control-t should be reassigned.

So what version of PD do you think had s as default split hotkey?

My PD8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,and 17 all have Ctrl T as split as it's "Split at Current Time".

Any chance you maybe did a custom hotkey at PD16 or even a prior PD version since it's been around since PD11 and changed it to s yourself?

Jeff
FrancoisT [Avatar]
[Post New]

So what version of PD do you think had s as default split hotkey?

My PD8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,and 17 all have Ctrl T as split as it's "Split at Current Time".

Any chance you maybe did a custom hotkey at PD16 or even a prior PD version since it's been around since PD11 and changed it to s yourself?

Jeff

Interesting! I guess I did if that's what the default is for PD16. Not as heinous as changing s to control-t from 16 to 17 but shows the lack of attention to streamlining in this program. Why make someone remember if its control or shift and t instead of s. I switched from Vegas to this because of problems with multiple videos. It was better that way but I was struck by all the extra, unnecessary steps I had to take for some of the most common tasks in pd16. Like I said above, especially with cropping. I don't need to call it a "power tool". I shouldn't have to reset crop to free form every time but there seems to be no ability reset it's default. I shouldn't have to click in the middle of every crop to show the edges. These were all steps that make each crop a 6 click procedure when just hitting eg. c for crop and let me get started would have been the way to do it much simpler from the get go. Still, thanks for reminding me that some hotkeys can be changed as I'd forgotten.