Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >

Same as was discussed here: https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/85672.page#post_box_354613 and the same solutions are required. I guess you could ask the author of AstroGrav to create yet another output format, maybe a standard H.264 in mp4 container perhaps, but it appears the suggestion in the linked thread of using QuickTime format from AstroGrav worked for you too, why not go that route?

Jeff

I thought I had asked here previously but did not see it in a quick search. Thanks. In the future, when I want to edit one of the AstroGrav video files, I'll make sure to save it in the QuickTime/MOV format he makes available.
Using PD19 19.7.3115.1 (64) on Win7Pro64

I make movies using the free software called AstroGrav in the AVI format

When I try to open this video: https://vimeo.com/719858366 to edit it in CyberLink 19, I get this message: "An error occured while opening this media file in the media library. It may be because the file is broken, an unsupported format,protected video content, or for another reason. Try contacting your video provider for a different video format. C:\Drake Data\dance of the planets (JPEG 2fps) sidial day.avi". I get the same message if I use VideoProc to convert it to an MP4.

It will open in PotPlayer or VLC. One workaround I have found is that if I create the video in AstroGrav using the QuickTime format instead of AVI, it will open and edit in PD19.

There is no audio in that video. Here is the MediaInfo on that video:
General
Complete name : C:\Drake Data\dance of the planets (JPEG 2fps) siderial day.avi
Format : AVI
Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave
File size : 7.05 MiB
Duration : 11 s 25 ms
Overall bit rate : 5 367 kb/s
Video
ID : 0
Format : jpeg
Codec ID : jpeg
Duration : 11 s 25 ms
Bit rate : 5 367 kb/s
Width : 1 408 pixels
Height : 882 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:10
Frame rate : 1.905 FPS
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 2.269
Stream size : 7.05 MiB (100%)

What information might I pass to the author of AstroGrav about his movie creation tool?
Quote Make sure you have the latest version of SR4, which is 4.3.0.19614. Next, try recording Full Screen and see if that works, then chose (and recreate) your custom setting and see if that works.

If it still doesn't, turn of Enable hardware encoding from the Preferences | Video menu and try again. Whatever you find you may want to report the issue to Cyberlink. Here's their contact page.

Apparently the trial was over and upgrading to 4.3.0.19614 did the trick.
Just recently the custom video setting has started only recording a black screen. Recordings that are ~1 minute long are only 800Kb and nothing in the original recording is displayed.

PowerDirector 365 version 19.7.3115.0 updated in March.

Kluge, ok, I simply suggested an option to get you functioning in PD, which was successful. The video files are formatted correctly, it's just PD does not support m-jpeg video files as well as a host of other video files.

You might try changing Movie Format specification in AstroGrav to QuickTime format vs AVI. Depending exactly what video specifics are created, PD may import that directly if you have QuickTime installed.

Jeff
I gave up QT years ago. The HandBrake will work as needed until Russell gives options for output video format in AstroGrav. Also gave away my Mac.
Quote Having audio is not the issue, PD does not natively support motion jpeg, as this AVI, so you need something to interface. ffdshow will intercept DirectShow and allow decoding inside PD as shown in pic. Other options would work too, or simply convert with HandBrake to a more traditional video file would be a solution as well.

Jeff
That seems to be a kluge fix. Thanks for the idea. It did work and allow me to adjust the playback speed in an edited version of the vid. I'm working with the author of AstroGrav to get the movie maker corrected to format them correctly.
It acts the same error using another PC with W10Pro64
Here is the page from mediainfo. I also tried to open it in Adobe Premier but got the same type of error. Someone mentioned that a vid created with no sound track might have issues, but both editing softwares have always opened files without audio b4.

General
Complete name : C:\Drake Data\hilda rocks (JPEG 1fps).avi
Format : AVI
Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave
File size : 91.9 MiB
Duration : 15 min 32 s
Overall bit rate : 826 kb/s
Video
ID : 0
Format : jpeg
Codec ID : jpeg
Duration : 15 min 32 s
Bit rate : 826 kb/s
Width : 1 002 pixels
Height : 694 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 1.444
Frame rate : 0.999 (1000 / 999/1001 / 1000) FPS
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 1.189
Stream size : 91.9 MiB (100%)
I get this message when attempting to open either of these files. Created using AstroGrav version 4.4. Is there something unusual about the vids?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ulspde3g2w6l9o5/hilda%20rocks%20%28JPEG%201fps%29.avi?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/axjrqxam8cvv8ep/10%2C000%20Asteroids%20%28JPEG%201fps%29.avi?dl=0

Any ideas? As they will play in Pot Player, etc.
Quote masterdrago, PD17 can do the job, if you have the 365 version you probably have PD18 since it’s auto updated but it can do the same.

BD-R 25GB or 50GB discs can be used depending on length of your projects. These are record once discs. Also keep in mind you can simply copy a produced file to BD and some standalone players will play that or use the "Create Disc" module in PD and create a more compatible BD for many standalone players.

This link discusses how you can simply use windows explorer to burn a BD from a video folder created by the PD "Create Disc" module. https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/51482.page#post_box_270180

You can also use a player like VLC to playback this PD created folder prior to burning to BD to verify it’s what you like.

Jeff
Many thanks! What I wanted to hear.
I just began creating and editing movies at home using Cyberlink 365 and Adobe Premiere Elements 2020. I like the way Cyberlink works and the great help forums. I recently purchased a Pioneer BDR-XD05B 6x Slim Portable USB 3.0 Blu-Ray Burner that Supports BDXL/BD/DVD/CD which came with a Bonus CyberLink Media Suite 10 Windows Software. What I'm wanting to know is can my Cyberlink 365 be used to burn movies I produce onto bluray disc? I don't really want to install free software. Also, what type of disc should I get. I'm new so this is a bit confusing.

Both HB and PD will convert to H.264, in HB for framerate just select "same as source", for PD you just need to manually define a profile. Doing this conversion, you gain a little as H.264 is a little easier on resources to decode during editing playback vs H.265. However, 240fps is still the limiter. For me, I'd just edit the source H.265 since your editing was minimal.

The real beauty of your 240fps source is you can slo mo the reveal blow down by a factor of 1/4 and have extremely high quality.

Your posted vimeo clip looks like it was produced at 24fps, so basically you threw 1/10th of what you had out. I'd probably have done 60fps since you have such good source material.

Jeff
Did not know about tossing 1/10th of data. I may see what 240 to 60 looks like. And thanks for the hints on doing a manual profile. Saw one of the vids on PD University or somewhere about doing that instead of YouTube profiles. Editing video is a recent endeavor for me and I've found that some software has a sharp learning curve.
Thanks for jogging my memory. I remembered that I've used VideoProc and MacX HD Video Converter (liscensed for years) a number of times prior to getting the GP and wanting to do "real" editing. VideoProc allows me to convert to H264 240fps if I want to, which I did and HB did not. My son edited his on his IPhone. What was strange was that once I got to editing it in PD, it was not so bad. Just the getting started part. And the final version plays okay even though some of the clip during edit were a bit twitchy. I played with Adobe Premier Elements for days b4 I realized it does not edit HVEC. Thanks again.
https://vimeo.com/364644771
I got to taking a close look at the files in media info and I think that what HandBrake did was take the 240fps original video and convert it to 22fps. So that explains why the size is so much smaller in the H-264 conversion. I looked again at HB and did not see any where to leave the original fps. Still do not know why the original does not play on the i7 32Gig laptop.
Have been having this issue since May. Some videos that are taken using the GoPro 7 Black seem to be currupted in some way. Shot @240fps (HVEC). This one will open in CyberLink PowerDirector 17 and begin normally. Then a bit into the video, it will freeze but the audio continues. If I open it in PotPlayer 64, it will play but then the audio is not in sync with the video. The machine is a Dell XPS 9750 8th gen i7-8750 32G DDR4 1TBPCIe NVMe SSD GTX1050Ti. It will not open in VLC 3.0.8 Vetinari nor in version 3.2.1.0. One other really odd thing. If I use HandBrake to convert it to a H-264 from the H-265 format, the file size goes from 941Mb to 201Mb and it then plays and edits on both the W10 laptop and the W7 desktop. Why did I have the misguided thought that HVEC video was more highly compressed? And smaller file size than H264? Can anyone let me know if indeed this file looks currupt in the HVEC state?
The link to the video: https://www.dropbox.com/s/edaul2gg9gy09qv/GX013658.MP4?dl=0
Quote I think you've done a very nice job! You've chosen a wonderful music track, you've kept the content short and cohesive, and I was keenly interested in everything you wanted to show me. IMHO, it's a solid piece of work cool

Since you've asked for improvements, please take a look at these notes. I hope you'll see them as the requested suggestions for making the video really stand out, and not in any way as a criticism of you or your skills:

1. Use the Pan & Zoom tool for all of your stills to give them some subtle motion, which will line up much better with your video's wonderful overall flow

2. Cut to a clearly different view @ 0:55 to keep the continuity in that section. The existing cut looks like a mistake because it's just slightly offset from the preceding clip's view, while all other straight cuts from the tram are to completely different views

3. Shorten the fade-in @ 1:22 by about 2 sec to bring the new scene in right in sync with the music

4. Fade out of the restaurant clip at 1:40 to match the music fade, then bring in the wine collection at 1:42 instead of 1:45

5. I'm not sure why there's a video pause from 2:02-2:04. I'd like to see more of the movement (and view), and less of the building

6. Same with the ending pause from 2:15 - 2:18. If that's the extent of the viable clip, and you're trying to stretch it out a bit, use the Selected Range tab in the Video Speed tool. You'll want to slow down the beginning and ending 2 seconds of the clip, and use the Ease-out option at the start, and Ease-in at the end, to smoothly transition from still to motion and back to still

7. Find a consistent location for your onscreen text. It's ok to vary that if something is in the way or when you have multiple text lines, but a single line at the bottom left of the screen isn't as appealing as when it's centered, or maybe more artfully placed

8. At the end of the vid, I'd like to see an ellipses or some kind of teaser that the next video is coming soon; or else simply end with a closing statement about that day

That's it! A few specific changes and a couple of bigger picture ideas would bring the enjoyment of the video up a couple notches - for me at least wink

Please post a link to the revised clip if you decide you want to take up any of my suggestions, or those of other members who want to add their thoughts.
What a great bunch of tips and suggestions. Thanks. I had pondered the adding motion to the still since I had seen that in the films of others. Just have to hunt down the process so I can do a bit more. And yes, I had decided to make video of each day since the 1st several days video edit was just too long. I had the neive thought that I might compress the full 16 days into one vid.... NOT! Also, thanks for the suggestion on stretching the vid to sync with a bump or transition in the music. I knew it was "off" but did not know what could be done.

Other vids that I've created of our vacation in Alaska so far are at these links. You'll most likely get tired since one is rather long.

https://vimeo.com/351076884 the long one of a few days of the trip

https://vimeo.com/345258416 this a train ride from Fraser to Skagway. stick with it through the gals narration

https://vimeo.com/345268471 our ship departure from Skagway

I signed up with soundstripe for the music clips since I had never done this type of thing b4. I've never been a real creative person so some of this technically becomes easy but not the creative part. I will post an updated version in a week or so.
Quote I've taken a large number of still images using a 300mm lens on a DSLR of whales in Alaska. Many of them are shot at better than 5FPS so I might have 40 or so frames of whale action in each sequence. Most of the still images are 13.8MB 5568x3712. I want to make a few slo-mo clips of this action. Some of the frames will need to be centered better and leveled as the backgrond is occasionally tilted. Also cropping might be a good idea. Is there a tutorial that someone can point me to that will assist to make these short clips? I'm very new (green) to movie editing and this is the 1st effort to use PowerDirector 365.
Three full moons later and still not one peep....... I somehow thought this crowd was more active.
I've only recently begun using video editing software and have stuck with CyberLink PowerDirector 365 as I'm getting comfotable using it. It will edit the HVEC although the video studders and stalls on the initial play. Once edited, produced and saved it plays just fine, especially if converted to H-264 first or saved as H-264.

Anyway, the reason for this post is to get a few here to take a look at a short finished vacation vid I put together as part of our cruise vacation in Alaska in May. What I'm wanting is some suggestions as to how to make it better. I know that there are a lot of things I can do using CLPD365, especially when dropping still shots into the video. Better transitions, etc would be helpful. Anything is fair game. I'm open and all ears. It's on Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/359893908
Quote Adding to what JL_JL showed.

You can, by holding the Ctrl key, select multiple video clips at one time, do the same for Delete.

You can add other audio in place if it fits or uses another track.

Thanks. That's very helpful. I'm new to the video editing relm. When adding a track to fill the place of the removed tracks, is there a prefered file format for the sound track? Looks like I can get MP3 or WAV files from. The track in the one clip that I'm leaving in is AAC if that matters.
I trimmed a few clips out of a few video files and want to remove the audio track from only a few of them. So far the only way I see to do that is to select the trimmed clip in the timeline, then tools/audio editor/voice removal. After doing that, it appears I may be able to insert an audio file for only those tracks. I'm not sure of the procedure.
Go to: