Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Creating Short Clips from Stills
masterdrago [Avatar]
Newbie Location: SE Texas Joined: Mar 12, 2019 20:55 Messages: 28 Offline
[Post New]
I've taken a large number of still images using a 300mm lens on a DSLR of whales in Alaska. Many of them are shot at better than 5FPS so I might have 40 or so frames of whale action in each sequence. Most of the still images are 13.8MB 5568x3712. I want to make a few slo-mo clips of this action. Some of the frames will need to be centered better and leveled as the backgrond is occasionally tilted. Also cropping might be a good idea. Is there a tutorial that someone can point me to that will assist to make these short clips? I'm very new (green) to movie editing and this is the 1st effort to use PowerDirector 365.
masterdrago [Avatar]
Newbie Location: SE Texas Joined: Mar 12, 2019 20:55 Messages: 28 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I've taken a large number of still images using a 300mm lens on a DSLR of whales in Alaska. Many of them are shot at better than 5FPS so I might have 40 or so frames of whale action in each sequence. Most of the still images are 13.8MB 5568x3712. I want to make a few slo-mo clips of this action. Some of the frames will need to be centered better and leveled as the backgrond is occasionally tilted. Also cropping might be a good idea. Is there a tutorial that someone can point me to that will assist to make these short clips? I'm very new (green) to movie editing and this is the 1st effort to use PowerDirector 365.
Three full moons later and still not one peep....... I somehow thought this crowd was more active.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 15. 2019 21:27

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
It is, but every now and then a post slips through the cracks. If this happens again and nobody has responded within a day or two max, post again (bump it) just like you did here. No need to count moons while you're waiting!

The easiest way to do this is to simply set the picture duration to something like 0.4 seconds on the Preferences screen:

Then drag a sequence of clips from the Media Library to the timline. PD will automatically set the duration of each image to 0.4 seconds, which would play back at 2.5fps. If you shot at 5fps, for example, the timeline would be playing back at half speed.

You can change the duration of all the clips by selecting them and clicking on the "clock" icon at the top left of the timeline. You can adjust the timing down to the frame (note that if your project's frame rate is set to 30, the final frame in each second is 29).

If you need to crop/zoom, start with the first clip in the segment and make the adjustments in the PiP Designer. Once you're happy with how that looks, right click on the clip from the project timeline and choose Copy Keyframe Attributes. Next, select all the other matching clips and use Paste Keyframe Attributes and they'll all be set identically.

It should go pretty smoothly once you get the hang of it!

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
I remember this post. I can’t think of a way to make slo-mo video clips from 5 fps. To me 60 fps is needed to make a slo-mo 30 fps video. This is probably the reason no one answered here. Optodata has the best answer. Make the slide show with stills at whatever duration desired.