Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Currupt HVEC Again
masterdrago [Avatar]
Newbie Location: SE Texas Joined: Mar 12, 2019 20:55 Messages: 28 Offline
[Post New]
Have been having this issue since May. Some videos that are taken using the GoPro 7 Black seem to be currupted in some way. Shot @240fps (HVEC). This one will open in CyberLink PowerDirector 17 and begin normally. Then a bit into the video, it will freeze but the audio continues. If I open it in PotPlayer 64, it will play but then the audio is not in sync with the video. The machine is a Dell XPS 9750 8th gen i7-8750 32G DDR4 1TBPCIe NVMe SSD GTX1050Ti. It will not open in VLC 3.0.8 Vetinari nor in version 3.2.1.0. One other really odd thing. If I use HandBrake to convert it to a H-264 from the H-265 format, the file size goes from 941Mb to 201Mb and it then plays and edits on both the W10 laptop and the W7 desktop. Why did I have the misguided thought that HVEC video was more highly compressed? And smaller file size than H264? Can anyone let me know if indeed this file looks currupt in the HVEC state?
The link to the video: https://www.dropbox.com/s/edaul2gg9gy09qv/GX013658.MP4?dl=0

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 06. 2019 01:00

masterdrago [Avatar]
[Post New]
I got to taking a close look at the files in media info and I think that what HandBrake did was take the 240fps original video and convert it to 22fps. So that explains why the size is so much smaller in the H-264 conversion. I looked again at HB and did not see any where to leave the original fps. Still do not know why the original does not play on the i7 32Gig laptop.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 06. 2019 11:21

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
You're going to have a hard time editing any 240fps video, simply because there are so many frames that have to be decoded every second. It's one thing to simply play that back, it's a completely different animal to edit.

You can try using shadow files, or going with non-real time preview (which will play slower than full speed, and will have no audio), or only previewing a few seconds of video at a time, then stop and let PD "catch up."

If I were you, I'd use VirtualDub2 and convert to MagicYUV which will give you full resolution, full frame rate clips to work with directly. The only downside is that you'll need tons of room on your SSD because MagicYUV clips are uncompressed and will need 10x-20x more space than the source clip.

Your produced clip will be much smaller, because you'll be using H.264 or H.265 compression, so it's only the intermediate stage where you'll need all the drive space.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
masterdrago [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for jogging my memory. I remembered that I've used VideoProc and MacX HD Video Converter (liscensed for years) a number of times prior to getting the GP and wanting to do "real" editing. VideoProc allows me to convert to H264 240fps if I want to, which I did and HB did not. My son edited his on his IPhone. What was strange was that once I got to editing it in PD, it was not so bad. Just the getting started part. And the final version plays okay even though some of the clip during edit were a bit twitchy. I played with Adobe Premier Elements for days b4 I realized it does not edit HVEC. Thanks again.
https://vimeo.com/364644771

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 06. 2019 15:31

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Thanks for jogging my memory. I remembered that I've used VideoProc and MacX HD Video Converter (liscensed for years) a number of times prior to getting the GP and wanting to do "real" editing. VideoProc allows me to convert to H264 240fps if I want to, which I did and HB did not. My son edited his on his IPhone. What was strange was that once I got to editing it in PD, it was not so bad. Just the getting started part. And the final version plays okay even though some of the clip during edit were a bit twitchy. I played with Adobe Premier Elements for days b4 I realized it does not edit HVEC. Thanks again.
https://vimeo.com/364644771

Both HB and PD will convert to H.264, in HB for framerate just select "same as source", for PD you just need to manually define a profile. Doing this conversion, you gain a little as H.264 is a little easier on resources to decode during editing playback vs H.265. However, 240fps is still the limiter. For me, I'd just edit the source H.265 since your editing was minimal.

The real beauty of your 240fps source is you can slo mo the reveal blow down by a factor of 1/4 and have extremely high quality.

Your posted vimeo clip looks like it was produced at 24fps, so basically you threw 1/10th of what you had out. I'd probably have done 60fps since you have such good source material.

Jeff

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 06. 2019 17:01

masterdrago [Avatar]
[Post New]

Both HB and PD will convert to H.264, in HB for framerate just select "same as source", for PD you just need to manually define a profile. Doing this conversion, you gain a little as H.264 is a little easier on resources to decode during editing playback vs H.265. However, 240fps is still the limiter. For me, I'd just edit the source H.265 since your editing was minimal.

The real beauty of your 240fps source is you can slo mo the reveal blow down by a factor of 1/4 and have extremely high quality.

Your posted vimeo clip looks like it was produced at 24fps, so basically you threw 1/10th of what you had out. I'd probably have done 60fps since you have such good source material.

Jeff
Did not know about tossing 1/10th of data. I may see what 240 to 60 looks like. And thanks for the hints on doing a manual profile. Saw one of the vids on PD University or somewhere about doing that instead of YouTube profiles. Editing video is a recent endeavor for me and I've found that some software has a sharp learning curve.