Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Error Opening AVI
masterdrago [Avatar]
Newbie Location: SE Texas Joined: Mar 12, 2019 20:55 Messages: 28 Offline
[Post New]
I get this message when attempting to open either of these files. Created using AstroGrav version 4.4. Is there something unusual about the vids?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ulspde3g2w6l9o5/hilda%20rocks%20%28JPEG%201fps%29.avi?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/axjrqxam8cvv8ep/10%2C000%20Asteroids%20%28JPEG%201fps%29.avi?dl=0

Any ideas? As they will play in Pot Player, etc.
[Thumb - PD error opening.jpg]
 Filename
PD error opening.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
39 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
4 time(s)
StevenG [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Jan 14, 2014 14:04 Messages: 513 Offline
[Post New]
Most likely that AVI is using a codec that doesn't edit well.

Open one of your AVIs in the free download MediaInfo. In MediaInfo, set View to Text and then copy the text of this report and paste it to this forum. With this information we can better advise you what's up and how to proceed.
masterdrago [Avatar]
[Post New]
Here is the page from mediainfo. I also tried to open it in Adobe Premier but got the same type of error. Someone mentioned that a vid created with no sound track might have issues, but both editing softwares have always opened files without audio b4.

General
Complete name : C:\Drake Data\hilda rocks (JPEG 1fps).avi
Format : AVI
Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave
File size : 91.9 MiB
Duration : 15 min 32 s
Overall bit rate : 826 kb/s
Video
ID : 0
Format : jpeg
Codec ID : jpeg
Duration : 15 min 32 s
Bit rate : 826 kb/s
Width : 1 002 pixels
Height : 694 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 1.444
Frame rate : 0.999 (1000 / 999/1001 / 1000) FPS
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 1.189
Stream size : 91.9 MiB (100%)
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Here is the page from mediainfo. I also tried to open it in Adobe Premier but got the same type of error. Someone mentioned that a vid created with no sound track might have issues, but both editing softwares have always opened files without audio b4.

It's not a PD issue as the clip opens fine on my system:

Maybe run the DxDiag test as described in the Read Me Before Posting guide so we can see how your PC is configured. You can also try installing a K-Lite codec pack to see if that solves the issue for you.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Having audio is not the issue, PD does not natively support motion jpeg, as this AVI, so you need something to interface. ffdshow will intercept DirectShow and allow decoding inside PD as shown in pic. Other options would work too, or simply convert with HandBrake to a more traditional video file would be a solution as well.

Jeff
[Thumb - PD_mjpeg.png]
 Filename
PD_mjpeg.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
310 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
3 time(s)
masterdrago [Avatar]
[Post New]
It acts the same error using another PC with W10Pro64
 Filename
DxDiag_masterdrago.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
26 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
128 time(s)
[Thumb - PD v&s.jpg]
 Filename
PD v&s.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
8 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
4 time(s)
masterdrago [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Having audio is not the issue, PD does not natively support motion jpeg, as this AVI, so you need something to interface. ffdshow will intercept DirectShow and allow decoding inside PD as shown in pic. Other options would work too, or simply convert with HandBrake to a more traditional video file would be a solution as well.

Jeff
That seems to be a kluge fix. Thanks for the idea. It did work and allow me to adjust the playback speed in an edited version of the vid. I'm working with the author of AstroGrav to get the movie maker corrected to format them correctly.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote That seems to be a kluge fix. Thanks for the idea. It did work and allow me to adjust the playback speed in an edited version of the vid. I'm working with the author of AstroGrav to get the movie maker corrected to format them correctly.

Kluge, ok, I simply suggested an option to get you functioning in PD, which was successful. The video files are formatted correctly, it's just PD does not support m-jpeg video files as well as a host of other video files.

You might try changing Movie Format specification in AstroGrav to QuickTime format vs AVI. Depending exactly what video specifics are created, PD may import that directly if you have QuickTime installed.

Jeff
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I agree with JL_JL on everything he just posted.

Your DxDiag results show that your Quadro K620 is running a driver from 2014. The most recent Dell driver is 2 years more recent, and the final nVdia release is from 2019. However, Dell usually makes it difficult to install "OEM" drivers that come straight from nVidia.

Updating the driver won't make any difference to this AVI issue, but I wanted to make sure you knew that newer drivers were available.
masterdrago [Avatar]
[Post New]

Kluge, ok, I simply suggested an option to get you functioning in PD, which was successful. The video files are formatted correctly, it's just PD does not support m-jpeg video files as well as a host of other video files.

You might try changing Movie Format specification in AstroGrav to QuickTime format vs AVI. Depending exactly what video specifics are created, PD may import that directly if you have QuickTime installed.

Jeff
I gave up QT years ago. The HandBrake will work as needed until Russell gives options for output video format in AstroGrav. Also gave away my Mac.