Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Transferring VHS Recordings to DVDs in Power Director 12
Rob73 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 08, 2023 16:38 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
I purchased PD12 a while back and just started using it. I was looking for something that I thought would be easy to use for transferring VHS recordings to DVDs but I have run into some interesting situations. Maybe someone can help.

First I started caputuring a video. It ran for about 5 min and then I got a message asking if I wanted to save the captured file or not and behind that message was one that stated this video should not be copied due to copyright infringement. The video I was copying was one my son had made for us showing his house so it should not be copyrighted. And also, why would I only be able to capture about 5 min of a vido that was at least 30 min long. I don't understand. Is there a simple manual somewhere for novices to go by that would explain how to use PD12?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 09. 2023 20:21

Fenman
Senior Contributor Location: Cambridge, UK Joined: Nov 24, 2011 04:44 Messages: 731 Offline
[Post New]
Commercial VHS tapes have a signal pattern inserted (between the frames I think) that players can detect as copyright protection. What has happened is the signal from your tape has some noise on it that has been interpreted as this protection.

Are you using PD to do the capture? If you have purchased a hardware converter to connect the player to your PC that should have come with it's own capture utility. If so I would suggest you try that as it may be more tolerant. Alternatively I think there are free third party programs that can be used which some of the more experienced forum members may be able to suggest. Regards,
Mike

Home-build system:
Intel Core i5 Quad Core 3.3GHz, 2 x 4GB DDR3 1333MHz,
Asus Nvidia GT440 1GB, 2 x Western Digital WD10EARS 1TB, 1 x Seagate ST1000DM010 1TB,
Windows 7 Prof 64-bit, PD 9 Ultra 64, PD 13 Ultimate 64
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
What is your entire workflow? I know PD12 is the software.

VCR? It all starts with a decent VCR.
S-video?

Fenman is correct, it's a dirty signal mistakenly seen as Macrovision.
Other software, free, might ignore it and you can then use ANCIENT V12 for editing.
In some cases you'll only be able capture using Frame Time Base Correction to clean and rebuild the nasty signal.
Thats another thing altogether.
Happy New Year, Mista Fenman! HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Rob73 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Commercial VHS tapes have a signal pattern inserted (between the frames I think) that players can detect as copyright protection. What has happened is the signal from your tape has some noise on it that has been interpreted as this protection.

Are you using PD to do the capture? If you have purchased a hardware converter to connect the player to your PC that should have come with it's own capture utility. If so I would suggest you try that as it may be more tolerant. Alternatively I think there are free third party programs that can be used which some of the more experienced forum members may be able to suggest.

I am using the usb capture device that came with the kit I bought. Its a VC500 USB capture kit. Granted the vhs unit I'm using is an old style but I thought that buying this system would be easy to use. I was under the impression all I had to do was connect the vcr to my pc, insert vhs tape, start playing the tape and the recording would be simple. Sure aint like trying to copy an old cassette for sure.

Ok so this is what I've done. I figured that since it was only recording so much of the tape that I would capture what I could, save that and start another capture process. By doing that I was able to record the whole vhs but now how can I splice those captured sections together to make one complete video that I can burn to a dvd.
Rob73 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote What is your entire workflow? I know PD12 is the software.

VCR? It all starts with a decent VCR.
S-video?

Fenman is correct, it's a dirty signal mistakenly seen as Macrovision.
Other software, free, might ignore it and you can then use ANCIENT V12 for editing.
In some cases you'll only be able capture using Frame Time Base Correction to clean and rebuild the nasty signal.
Thats another thing altogether.
Happy New Year, Mista Fenman!

The VCR I'm using is an old Zenith style. I thought that what I had should work. My way of thinking, I have a vcr that will play the tapes and the PD12 kit hooks up to my vcr and my computer so push play push record and I should be on my way to recording a family vhs tape. At least thats what I thought.
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Quote The VCR I'm using is an old Zenith style. I thought that what I had should work. My way of thinking, I have a vcr that will play the tapes and the PD12 kit hooks up to my vcr and my computer so push play push record and I should be on my way to recording a family vhs tape. At least thats what I thought.
Zenith never made a VCR worth plugging in.
If you have just 1 tape, farm it out if you want a decent capture.
However...
if you are adamant...use a different software to capture, and get a Panasonic ES10 or 15 as a pass-thru image stabilizer because your Zenith will treat your tape like it's got the after-the-party shakies. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Fenman
Senior Contributor Location: Cambridge, UK Joined: Nov 24, 2011 04:44 Messages: 731 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Ok so this is what I've done. I figured that since it was only recording so much of the tape that I would capture what I could, save that and start another capture process. By doing that I was able to record the whole vhs but now how can I splice those captured sections together to make one complete video that I can burn to a dvd.

That's not a problem. You just import all the sections into the media library, assemble them on the timeline, edit as necessary and produce. Regards,
Mike

Home-build system:
Intel Core i5 Quad Core 3.3GHz, 2 x 4GB DDR3 1333MHz,
Asus Nvidia GT440 1GB, 2 x Western Digital WD10EARS 1TB, 1 x Seagate ST1000DM010 1TB,
Windows 7 Prof 64-bit, PD 9 Ultra 64, PD 13 Ultimate 64