Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >

Q1, Yes. If you use the info in the pic I supplied and put a clip out at 00:10:00:00, you would see the preview window covers that timecode. The timecode expands to the total length of content in the timeline when the timeline scrubber is at the end of timeline content.

Q2, No, the timeline timecode can be well into the multiple hours, no problem and you can preview all of it. If your timeline has say 1 hour of content, and you type 10 in the minutes of the timecode, the timeline scrubber will jump to the 10 min mark.

A pic of what you have would help tremendously.

Jeff

Thank you, Jeff. Your answers were what I wanted to know. Sounds like Preview screen will always need a starting frame number and from there it will show you the next two and a half minutes or so. But you need to keep renewing the start code because it won't automatically do that every two and a half minutes until reaches the end of the edited video. My input source files are all 40 minutes to one hour in length. My intent is to cut that time down to fifteen or twenty minutes on each completely edited output file. Would be glad to send you picture you wanted but (believe it or not) never have transmitted a picture to someone. No idea how to.

Gene Lenz

Not exactly sure I have your question understood. See if this pic helps you. If not, capture your entire screen and post what the issue is for clarity.

Jeff

Jeff
Your picture seems related to Timeline. My question relates to the hrs/min/seconds/frames number under lower left corner of Preview screen. Which presently starts with 00:00:00:00 and ends with 00:02:30:00. Which means only about seven seconds of time left to show because my timeline shows the end of edited video is now about 00:02:23:18.

Question 1) Does Preview screen automatically adjust to the length of the edited video?

Question 2) If it does, doesn't that mean it still can only accomodate about two minutes and thirty seconds of edited video? So it would not be able to show the earlier edited frames?

Gene Lenz
Newbie. Recently started editing of first input file. Have come to the point where the accumulated length of edited frames is two minutes, twenty seconds. But the Preview segment shows very little time left. What do you have to do to adjust Preview so it starts with a specific time beyond two minutes?

Correct, you need to play back in PD to preview the in process timeline.

Not exactly, you can undock the preview window and it can be full screen size for previewing if desired. See attached pic for icon to click. In the undocked preview window, a similar icon in the upper right corner of that window appears with a downward sloping arrow to reduce and dock the preview window again.

Jeff

Good! Thanks for the info.

So this action saves the PD project file, it's called a pds file. By simply changing the extension to .avi you don't create a video file for viewing. Think of this pds file as a recipe, it tells what ingredients are needed (source video and pics), how you blend ingredients together (splits, edits, transitions, titles...) but does not create the cake (final video). You need to bake (Produce), your video for final viewing.

pds files (created with save or save as to allow a rename) can only be opened by PD and this provides the instructions for PD to generate a video of your timeline edits.

To create a finished video of your timeline edits for viewing, you would need to use the "Produce" tab to bake that timeline into a final product of your liking. The "Produce" tab is at the top with other menu items but located on the right side.

Jeff

So if I understand this correctly, there is only one way to review your cumulative results each day. And that's to review all the frames while you are working in the edit program. After you quit working on it each day, there is no way to access it later that day (to let a friend see it) unless you open PD again? Which of course means you are limited to the image size in the preview section of the work area.

Gene Lenz

You'll need to be more specific. By saved, do you mean saved the PD project file which has a *.pds extension? If so, that file is only utilized by PD to define your timeline edits. Or do you mean you "Produced" your timeline to a particular video format for viewing? If so what format?

Jeff

The "save" happens after I click on Close in upper right of screen. The edit pgm gives me a question "do you want to save before closing?".
Yesterday I clicked on "yes" for first time and provided the system with a file name followed by ".avi". And then the PD screen is gone. No idea whether the edit pgm saved it as a ".pds" or the ".avi" which I provided. All I know is it saved it to the Windows 10 File Explorer. And now it can't be retrieved.

If PD provides a separate "file save" alternative that's the only place where other formats can be used? And you just save there and then click on Close and there's no question from the edit pgm?

Gene Lenz

See if this pic helps you.

Jeff

Jeff,
Got past first problem. Found the two menu options. By right-clicking on the file segment to be deleted. Causes the primary menu and its sub-menu to appear on screen. Picked "delete" from primary and "remove and fill gap" from sub-menu. All went well with the editing program from there. Until.......

Second problem. When I decided to quit for the day I file saved. Which the edit program put the saved file into my Windows 10 File Explorer. Last night when I tried to access the saved file a Windows 10 error message appeared saying "This file isn't playable. That might be because the file type is unsupported, or the file extension is incorrect, or the file is corrupt. 0xc00d36c4". My input source files are all avi. Which is supported in PowerDirector.

Have you seen this problem before? If a system tech is needed, how/where do I contact them?

Gene Lenz

Thank you, Jeff. Looking for info, I always start with the tutorials. But often they dwell on features I won't be needing for my limited purposes.

Gene Lenz

Jeff,
Stopped again. The video is in Timeline 1. Two questions relating to your answers 2 and 3 on 8/29/21 at 15:22.

Q1. Moved red scrubber line to 00:01:36:23 the first frame to be deleted. Shows in Preview.
Cllicked on "Split Timeline" symbol on left side of edit work area.
Moved red scrubber line until it reached frame 00:01:58:27. Shows in Preview.
First frame to be deleted now has vertical black line instead of red line.
Total expected deletion time about 22 seconds.
But now the "Split Timeline" symbol on left side of edit work area has been grayed out. Can't click on it.
Went to "Edit" in upper left corner of edit work area. Clicked on it.
A menu appeared. Clicked on "Edit Item". Nothing happened. Other items on the menu not relevant.
What did I miss?

Q2. Just follows Q1. Couldn't find menu with options "remove and leave gap" or "remove and fill gap". What did I miss?

Gene Lenz
Quote 1) The red line is called the timeline scrubber. It defines where you are in a particular clip or in the entire project. The timecode under the preview window follows this red line and reports the exact location of this scrubber, HH:MM:SS:FF, hours, minutes, seconds, frames.

2) Nothing really. That scrubber can only be located at frames for video. Simply move it to a location, use the split feature to cut the video there, move to new location and split again. Now one has a small video segment that you can delete.

3) Yes it does. When you use the delete on that small segment you split out, you will be presented with a few options on what you want to do with the timeline content. If you "Remove and Leave Gap", you will just have a black section in this area. In such case the last frame from the split will go to a black frame and the black frame at the end of the split area will go to the first frame at the end of the split. If you "Remove and Fill Gap", the two ends of what you split will simply play one after the other.

If it's a static picture on the timeline vs a video, the split just changes the duration of that pic, but again it is split at a frame level.

Jeff

Thank you, Jeff. Looking for info, I always start with the tutorials. But often they dwell on features I won't be needing for my limited purposes.

Gene Lenz
Quote Just select the pic created in the timeline by freeze frame and right mouse click, Set Clip Attributes > Set Duration... to specify a fixed duration amount. Or, position the mouse on the right edge of the freeze frame pic until you see the double arrows, and drag to extend duration.

Jeff

Jeff,
I have couple more questions which do not relate to freeze frame option but do relate relate to video frames. So hope this is not a violation of community rules. If it is, please advise and I will initiate a separate query.
1. There is a vertical red line in the Timeline area which moves forward or backward as the video moves. What is the purpose of this line?
2. I have come to the start of a video segment which I want to totally delete (both video and sound). About one minute long. What must be done to identify the beginning and ending frames of the deletion?
3. After a segment of video has been deleted, does the edit program automatically put the preceding and trailing frames together?

Gene Lenz
Quote Picking one video frame and holding would be a static pic. You can either take that static pic and split and insert into video or use the freeze frame. With the scrubber at desired frame, right mouse click and then Edit Video > Freeze Frame will split the video and add the static freeze frame. If desired, you can adjust the length of it. There will be no audio for the freeze frame, you can something if desired.

Jeff

Okay, will try freeze frame since you say its length is adjustable. Long as I can extend it to ten seconds or so will be good. Thank you, Jeff.
Another of my newbie questions. In reviewing an original source file video, there are a few segments which I wish now had been longer by keeping the camcorder on the subject a few more seconds. 1) Is it possible within PD 365 to pick one video frame and hold it (or replicate it) for a time period of ten to fifteen seconds? 2) After that the editing program would resume the reading of the source file? 3) And audio from source file would automatically return in sync with the video?
Quote Sounds like you maybe want part of the Windows Desktop on the edges. You can do that, just select the "Restore down" icon in the upper right corner, one left of the "X". Resize to expose part of desktop. When you launch PD it will be full screen, just "Restore down" to get your reduced size. One can also use third party screen layout utilities for more control.

Jeff

Jeff:
Now I feel foolish. I have always been sort of aware of the "restore down" but don't remember using it. Anyway, couple minutes ago I started up PD and there was the editing work area once again taking the whole screen. Looked in the upper right corner and saw the "restore down". Clicked on it and sure enough part of the desktop was now available on both left and right edges. Thank you for helping the dummy!!

Gene
New to video editing. Recently purchased and downloaded PD 365 version 19.6.3016.0 and SR VDE210510-05. One of my first questions is this one. Why does the image of the video editing work area occupy the entire screen of my pc monitor? Presume its to make small characters easier to see. But if I want to reduce this image size slightly is that possible thru an option from within the edit program itself? My os is Windows 10 and perhaps an adjustment like this could be done thru Settings. But presume that would affect other websites images. Which I would rather not do. With all the thousands of PD users, perhaps some have found a way to shrink the edit work area image. If not, guess it will just have to be dealt with.

Yes, by very low volume I meant to reduce the volume in the Audio Mixing Room to the very low side which is -infinity, so no, they will hear nothing, even if they adjust the volume knob during playback. You could also increase the gain of the whole audio track if it's too low, that's the horizontal slider in the same Audio Mixing Room in PD.

Another option is to simply split pre and post your sound blip and then mute that section. Basically, the same thing, PD will produce the audio track but there will be no sound in that section.

Jeff

Thank you Jeff! For two good learning pieces for me. 1) The volume of unwanted sounds can be reduced to zero and 2) I can also increase the volume on the whole audio track. Hadn't even thought of that. Thanks again!
Gene

Your better option for that is probably just reduce the volume for these short sounds right in PD. You can add a volume control point right at the start of the sound, set this to very low volume, back up one frame and add another volume control point and change this one to normal volume. Do the opposite coming out of the short sound.

Jeff

Appreciate your answer Jeff. The volume levels on the original video files are rather low. The edited videos will be output from my pc onto cards which will be given to others to keep. If they watch these videos on their devices won't they be able to up the volume to whatever they want? So my thinking is to remove, by whatever means are the simplest, the sounds that shouldn't be there. Per your answer, could I use PD to just set the sound to zero instead of very low?

At the scrubber position, just use "Adjust Audio" > "Insert Silence" and specify duration of silence to add. If you want to take a part of the existing clip and silence, use the orange markers on the side of the scrubber to adjust range, and then right mouse click and "Silence Selected".

Jeff

I am beginner at editing. 1) A feature I need is to eliminate short sounds (usually 3 seconds or less) from the video. Terms like "scrubber", "adjust audio", "insert silence". Are these part of feature called Denoise? Or separate? 2) When audio track is edited, PD 365 still keeps the audio in sync with the video frames?
Go to: