Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Question about Preview segment
Anonymous [Avatar]
[Post New]
Newbie. Recently started editing of first input file. Have come to the point where the accumulated length of edited frames is two minutes, twenty seconds. But the Preview segment shows very little time left. What do you have to do to adjust Preview so it starts with a specific time beyond two minutes?
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Newbie. Recently started editing of first input file. Have come to the point where the accumulated length of edited frames is two minutes, twenty seconds. But the Preview segment shows very little time left. What do you have to do to adjust Preview so it starts with a specific time beyond two minutes?

Not exactly sure I have your question understood. See if this pic helps you. If not, capture your entire screen and post what the issue is for clarity.

Jeff
[Thumb - PD19_Timeline.png]
 Filename
PD19_Timeline.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
918 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
7 time(s)
Anonymous [Avatar]
[Post New]

Not exactly sure I have your question understood. See if this pic helps you. If not, capture your entire screen and post what the issue is for clarity.

Jeff

Jeff
Your picture seems related to Timeline. My question relates to the hrs/min/seconds/frames number under lower left corner of Preview screen. Which presently starts with 00:00:00:00 and ends with 00:02:30:00. Which means only about seven seconds of time left to show because my timeline shows the end of edited video is now about 00:02:23:18.

Question 1) Does Preview screen automatically adjust to the length of the edited video?

Question 2) If it does, doesn't that mean it still can only accomodate about two minutes and thirty seconds of edited video? So it would not be able to show the earlier edited frames?

Gene Lenz
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Jeff
Your picture seems related to Timeline. My question relates to the hrs/min/seconds/frames number under lower left corner of Preview screen. Which presently starts with 00:00:00:00 and ends with 00:02:30:00. Which means only about seven seconds of time left to show because my timeline shows the end of edited video is now about 00:02:23:18.

Question 1) Does Preview screen automatically adjust to the length of the edited video?

Question 2) If it does, doesn't that mean it still can only accomodate about two minutes and thirty seconds of edited video? So it would not be able to show the earlier edited frames?

Gene Lenz

Q1, Yes. If you use the info in the pic I supplied and put a clip out at 00:10:00:00, you would see the preview window covers that timecode. The timecode expands to the total length of content in the timeline when the timeline scrubber is at the end of timeline content.

Q2, No, the timeline timecode can be well into the multiple hours, no problem and you can preview all of it. If your timeline has say 1 hour of content, and you type 10 in the minutes of the timecode, the timeline scrubber will jump to the 10 min mark.

A pic of what you have would help tremendously.

Jeff
Anonymous [Avatar]
[Post New]

Q1, Yes. If you use the info in the pic I supplied and put a clip out at 00:10:00:00, you would see the preview window covers that timecode. The timecode expands to the total length of content in the timeline when the timeline scrubber is at the end of timeline content.

Q2, No, the timeline timecode can be well into the multiple hours, no problem and you can preview all of it. If your timeline has say 1 hour of content, and you type 10 in the minutes of the timecode, the timeline scrubber will jump to the 10 min mark.

A pic of what you have would help tremendously.

Jeff

Thank you, Jeff. Your answers were what I wanted to know. Sounds like Preview screen will always need a starting frame number and from there it will show you the next two and a half minutes or so. But you need to keep renewing the start code because it won't automatically do that every two and a half minutes until reaches the end of the edited video. My input source files are all 40 minutes to one hour in length. My intent is to cut that time down to fifteen or twenty minutes on each completely edited output file. Would be glad to send you picture you wanted but (believe it or not) never have transmitted a picture to someone. No idea how to.

Gene Lenz
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Thank you, Jeff. Your answers were what I wanted to know. Sounds like Preview screen will always need a starting frame number and from there it will show you the next two and a half minutes or so. But you need to keep renewing the start code because it won't automatically do that every two and a half minutes until reaches the end of the edited video. My input source files are all 40 minutes to one hour in length. My intent is to cut that time down to fifteen or twenty minutes on each completely edited output file. Would be glad to send you picture you wanted but (believe it or not) never have transmitted a picture to someone. No idea how to.

Gene Lenz

There is nothing magic about your ~02:30 comments on preview nor a need to keep specifying a start timecode. The preview starts playback from where the scrubber is on the timeline.

A pic would help tremendously, how to capture screen as a pic and attach is outlined here in a step by step procedure: https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/83321.page#post_box_347519

Jeff
Anonymous [Avatar]
[Post New]

There is nothing magic about your ~02:30 comments on preview nor a need to keep specifying a start timecode. The preview starts playback from where the scrubber is on the timeline.

A pic would help tremendously, how to capture screen as a pic and attach is outlined here in a step by step procedure: https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/83321.page#post_box_347519

Jeff

Thanks, Jeff. Now I know the renewal timecode is automatic. That helps. Will check the link you sent later today.

Gene Lenz
Anonymous [Avatar]
[Post New]

Thanks, Jeff. Now I know the renewal timecode is automatic. That helps. Will check the link you sent later today.

Gene Lenz

Jeff,
I have come to believe the current problem is not with the Preview window. The reason I can't get beyond the edited frames anymore is because there are no more frames beyond the edited ones. I think that somehow maybe, I lost the unedited part of the file which I was working with back more than a week ago..

This thread becoming to lengthy. Would you be ok if I started a new subject title like "Source files/Edit files Formats" ?
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
If you have auto-save enabled, you should be able to recover your entire project from an earlier point in time. Take a look at this post for details.

As JL_JL has repeatedly requested, if you're still having trouble please take and share a screenshot so we can see your full timeline and preview window. Use the Alt+PrintScreen (or Win+Shift+S on Win10) keys, then save that as a JPG or PNG and use the Attachments button below the forum's text box to upload it here.
Anonymous [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote If you have auto-save enabled, you should be able to recover your entire project from an earlier point in time. Take a look at this post for details.

As JL_JL has repeatedly requested, if you're still having trouble please take and share a screenshot so we can see your full timeline and preview window. Use the Alt+PrintScreen (or Win+Shift+S on Win10) keys, then save that as a JPG or PNG and use the Attachments button below the forum's text box to upload it here.

optodata,
Thanks for responding.
1) I had never transmitted a screen print before. Jeff had given me a link which described how to do it. So I tried that yesterday and again today. However, some kind of a hang-up occurred both times.

2) Then later this evening a thought occurred to me. Before I had done any editing I always dragged the source image from the Library down to Timeline1 which was in the instructions somewhere. Then after some delays began to do the first editing. Still remember that the first few edited frames were showing on the Timeline, followed by the unedited frames which extended all the way to the end of Timeline1. That's when I saved the first edited frames under a name I used for the edited work file.

Jeff had advised me that the edit system always uses a file format of .pds and before I retrieved that edit file had to add the pds to it.

So this evening it occurred to me I was no longer dragging the source file down to Timeline 1 before I did any editing. Am wondering now, if the system works by first replacing the source file frames with edited frames from the pds file. That would account for why no source file frames are showing on the Timeline anymore. The edited frames are about forty percent of the Timeline 1. All the rest of Timeline1 is just black. Nothing there.

So if I first drag the source file frames from the library and then retrieve the edited frames from the pds file the edited frames will replace the source file frames? And where there's no more edited frames the remaining source file frames will again show on the timeline?

Gene Lenz

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 15. 2021 01:51

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Gene, it appears we're kind of talking past each other. Jeff and I are trying to understand what's happening on your system but what we're saying only seems to make the situation muddier.

Dragging source clips from the media library to the timeline is the normal approach, and that has nothing to do with PDS files or edited frames.

All you're doing is telling PD that you want to do include that clip in your finished video. Once you make edits to it, PD does store them in the project (PDS) file, but nothing is ever done to your original (source) clips and there isn't any extra work you'll need to do. Simply reopen the project in PD and everything should show up exactly as you last saved the project.

Next, you may or may not see the full duration of the clip(s) when you first place on your timeline, but if you simply click on the icon shown below you'll force PD to show the full duration of your project so you won't need to scroll left or right to see everything:

""

As an example, if you have a single 40 minute clip on the timeline, clicking the View entire video icon will show the full 40 minutes from left to right.

The preview window counter will show 00:00:00:00 when the scrubber (playhead) is at the start of the clip, and it will show something close to 00:40:00:00 if you hit the End key or manually place the scrubber/playhead at the end of the clip. There is no forced limit to the counter other than the full duration of each selected clip.

Maybe you can try creating a new project and placing one of your 40-minute clips on the timeline and see if everything works as I've described. If not, please let us know what doesn't seem to be working and try again to take and attach a screenshot.

Follow the simple steps I wrote at the end of my last post, then open the Paint app and use the Ctrl+V keys to paste the image there. Next, use File > Save As > PNG picture or JPEG picture to save the file someplace you can easily find it, like your desktop.

Finally, click on the Attachments button directly underneath the text reply box and locate the screenshot to share it with us: