Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Quote Try this: Go to Preferences/Editing and change the set insert project behavior from Nested to Expanded and click OK. Close PD19. Reopen PD19. Do a File/Open … and choose that project. You should be able to open each of the nested projects on your timeline by double clicking on them. In your previous post screenshot it appears that all your nested projects tabs have the same exact filename. That is something I have never done and have no experience on it so you may have to double click say 20 times waiting for each nested loop inside another nested loop of the same name to open first. Be patient.

You can also click on the name tab of each nested project that appears on top of the timeline ruler to open it but only one at a time. You should delete each nested loop that you don’t need.

My preference is your second option "click on name tab of each nested project appearing on top of timeline.....". Maybe as many as thirty or forty by now because often did multiple saves in one day. Will proceed as stated below.
1. Will import one more time just to get the current edit work file pds from Windows File Explorer into Timeline1.
2. Starting with the second name tab above Timeline1 will delete all of them.
3. When only one name tab remains I will click on "Close" in upper right corner of screen.
4. System will ask if I want to save before closing.
5. Will respond yes and provide the same work file name but with ".avi" format instead of pds.
6. Will use File Open for all remaining edits of this work file and the remaining source files.

Will await your response before proceeding.
Quote The best advice has already been given and answered in your previous two posts. Use Open Project instead of Insert Project or import another project to the timeline. See this tutorial. You can open any nested project already on the timeline by double clicking on it to be able to edit it. This tutorial explains it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yy2iNPQRams .

Start -over question #1. Yes. No.
Start -over question #2. Use File/Open Project. Import assets like video clips, images, audio clips to the media library. Don’t import projects to the timeline at all unless you view and fully understand the tutorial. Don’t import projects to get out of the situation created here and it will be okay!!!

Hope this helps...

Thanks for answers. Will try them tomorrow. See response to opening nested project below.
1. Response to double-clicking on timeline. Tried that already. Didn't work. Double left-clicking only caused a brief display at center of edit work area saying only "updating thumbnails". Whatever a thumbnail is. Also tried double right-clicking which produced a menu in a flash to fast to read. Single right-click stayed the menu but the only usable options were "cut", "copy", "remove", "select all", "edit clip alias", and "dock/undock timeline window".
About four weeks ago started my first video editing experience. The goal is limited. Input will be thirteen avi format source files. All of them forty minutes to one hour in length. Will be edited to 1) delete unwanted video frames, 2) delete unwanted sounds, 3)stabilization of some segments 4) limited texts to be added 5) completely edited files limited to twenty minutes 5) no source files will be combined 6) no other input files 7) completed output files will be mp4 format.

Problem: Hit a snag in attempting to delete unwanted sounds on first edit work file. Community forum advisor found the problem. The format of my editing output work files was pds. Always noticed that but "partitioned data set" meant nothing to me. Knowing now its effect I think the editing program should have provided a cautionary notice for the benefit of inexperienced users.

Start-over Question # 1. Apparently my error in the opening steps. Input source files are all avi format. Should they stay avi thru the editing steps until at final point the mp4 is applied? Or is there a format other than pds normally used by edit pgm?

Start-over Question # 2. There seems to be multiple opens. "Open Project". "File Open". "Import" option (which I always used). Apparently should have used something else first. What and when?

Gene Lenz

Great job, you got it.

Yes, the pic explains it all. I had no idea you are using "Nested Projects" and to be honest, probably would have never guessed without some hints. That's what that orange pds is telling you. That whole string of names above the timeline EDPHxx are all nested pds files. Why are you using that? Nested Projects are not needed for any simple editing tasks and has messed many people up so I'd leave it to experienced editors.

To see how things should work:
1) go to file and start a "New Project"
2) import a video clip (File > Import > Media Files..."or use one of the sample clips if you have them loaded. Not a pds file, a true video clip
3) add video clip to timeline track 1
4) go to Audio Mixing Room and adjust audio as I indicated

Jeff

Great sense of relief from your answer. Some statements and questions below.
1. You say "I had no idea you are using Nested Projects". Neither did I. Can't recall one instance of seeing that term.
2. You say "orange pds is telling you". Never once realized the color meant something.
3. You say "whole string of names above timeline.....". Never once realized each one was a separate file. Refer to #4 below.
4. You say "start New Project". My intent is so limited. No more than one source file at a time. Is New Project still useful?
4. First question: Each one separate file? Always thought systems warned about use of duplicate names. Edit pgm doesn't?
5. Second question: Each one separate file? Geez...how many of them by now? Must be taking lots of disc space?
6. Third question: Each one separate file? Stored where? In space reserved by edit program? Or in W10 File Explorer space?
7. Fourth question: The one most concerning me. Does this mean the project must start again from beginning point?
8. Fifth question: Plan to edit in five phases. Edit file name EDPH01 means edit phase 01. Can I still use file name EDPH01.pds?
Thanks much, Jeff!
Gene

I provided an alternate simple step that don't use Paint to try and help you out. However, simply click the X in the top right to close paint and it will ask you if you want to save, this is what the PDM instruction in 5 refers to.

You can always take out a ticket in CL support system but they will ask you for screen shot pic, dxdiag,....on and on, https://www.cyberlink.com/support/index.html

Jeff

Followed your simpler instructions. Worked like a charm. Screenshot attached below.
Gene

That's not normal, it captures the whole screen. Maybe your paint session was zoomed in which gave the perception of 60%.

Maybe try:
1) Launch PD with your project and open the audio mixing room
2) tap the Windows key + Print Screen key. Your screen will briefly go dim to indicate that you've just taken a screenshot, and this screenshot will be automatically saved to your Pictures > Screenshots folder
These 2 steps create a picture of the entire screen and the picture is stored in your computer standard windows picture folder in subfolder Screenshots

From here you just need to attach this screenshot pic to your new forum post.
To do this:
1) When posting. click the "Attachments" button right below the message composition area
2) Click the "Choose File" button and then find the screen snapshot you saved earlier in Pictures > ScreenShots folder
3) Click "Open" once you find and select the snapshot.

Continue to finish posting your message with the standard Submit icon.

Jeff

Jeff
Did try again to print screen.
Got thru Step 4 which is "Click on Paint in the Start menu to open the program. Click the "Paste" button in Paint.
Step 5. Says "click in top right of Paint and select Save. There was no Save to click on. ????

Other comment/questions.
If this can't be solved within Community forum, is there another form of assistance by Cyberlink? Such as the tech staff which are employed by Cyberlink. Would they be there to try and solve problems like this? If not, what do they do?
Gene Lenz

Sorry, out of ideas without some guidance, a pic of what you see would help so much. I know you mentioned you don't know how, but the steps are extremely simple and outlined here step by step to read and follow, https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/85748.page#post_box_354917

Jeff

Will try once again, using the steps listed in the link you provided. Seems like first time I tried to print screen the printout only showed about sixty percent of the total screen, leaving out the left side. Do you know how to adjust it so that it displays the left side of the screen?
Will wait another hour or two for your reply before I try this again.
Gene Lenz

No, nothing needs to be activated. Since you said the level meter flashes between 0 and -13db that means the audio track is enabled. Your Audio 1 is at the halfway point as that is the default for a track with audio, halfway is 50% gain. For audio 2 and 3 tracks the slider is at the left as you have no audio or video with audio in tracks 2 and 3 so the gain is 0.

How are you trying to move the horizontal slider? Left mouse click on the little icon at the halfway point, while holding down the left mouse button on this icon, move the mouse left or right to move the slider.

Jeff

Jeff,
I'm already doing that. I left mouse click on the icon and then keeping the left mouse key down on the icon while attempting to move it left or right.
Gene Lenz

I've added a line pointing to the horizontal slider that adjusts entire track gain in pic PD19_AudioGain.png, see if that helps.

Jeff

Ok Jeff. Your answer points to what appears to be the real problem. You say "grab slider (the thing at bottom of Audio1 line) and move to the right".........
The slider doesn't move in any direction. At present time the Audio1 slider is directly under Audio 1 column. Which appears to be at the halfway point of the area it can move. The sliders under Audio 2 and 3 are both at the left end of the areas they can move. There must be one more preliminary thing I need to do after loading the video into Timeline1. Something else that needs to be activated before the slider can be moved?
(Need to be away an hour or so. Will be back.)
Gene Lenz

Maybe the following pics will help you. The "Tools" menu is only visible if you have a clip selected on the timeline, see PD19_Tools_Audio.png. You really don't need to use this as the simple change you want can easily be done in PD in the Audio Mixing Room without the need for AudioDirector or AudioEditor.

The slider for each audio track 1, 2, or 3 will adjust the gain of that entire track, see PD19_AudioGain.png. You can also adjust certain parts of a clip to high higher volume if desired, vs the gain of that entire track.

Jeff

Jeff,
I'm still missing something. The video is running. Volume indicator in Audio 1 flashes upward at every sound but no higher than about mid-point between 0 and -13 and mostly less than mid-point. What do I click on to adjust to a higher volume?
Gene Lenz

See how to adjust audio directly on the timeline or in the keyframe room

Thank you AVPlayVideo for your response. I will look at the video. Generally, however, I can't grasp details as fast as they come in video. Have to learn things the slow way by referring to printed info on my desk while looking at the edit work area on my pc.

Maybe the following pics will help you. The "Tools" menu is only visible if you have a clip selected on the timeline, see PD19_Tools_Audio.png. You really don't need to use this as the simple change you want can easily be done in PD in the Audio Mixing Room without the need for AudioDirector or AudioEditor.

The slider for each audio track 1, 2, or 3 will adjust the gain of that entire track, see PD19_AudioGain.png. You can also adjust certain parts of a clip to high higher volume if desired, vs the gain of that entire track.

Jeff

Thanks, Jeff. Will use this info when I resume the edit tomorrow morning.
Gene Lenz
I Have an edited video workfile in Timeline 1. Ready to do audio editing on this workfile. (Chose to keep video & audio editing functions separate). Three questions:
1. Found PD info online which says "First click "Tools" button above the Timeline". Don't see a button labeled "Tools". Is the info outdated?
2. Need to increase audio volume for myself. There's an "Audio Mixing Screen". Clicking on it causes a display of images labeled "Audios 1, 2, 3". Don't need 2 and 3. But how do you increase audio volume on any of them?
3. Presume the scrubber used on video is also used on audio? Except you are deleting unwanted sounds on certain frames instead of deleting frames?
Quote Your question makes me think that you might confuse video files and project files.

you start with a video file to input that into the media room, and then I assume you move this file to tHe timeline for editing work?
If you are done editing, it is good to save the editing work by saving it as a project. Once you have saved the project, you can open the project again, e.g. next day after you have opened PD. All the editing into the time line you did before saving the project, is available again upon the opening of the project.
Mind you, the original video file is still untouched, nothing has change in there, PD has kept your editing activities separately and stores all those typically in the project file.

Only after you have produced a new video file, using PD production you have (in a new file) the result of all your editing. THIS video file can be shared with others e.g. on DVD or online, or .... as I assume you may be doing.... for the next editing you still may want to do on the video. In that case the new produced video file is again IMPORTED into the media room, and moved to the timeline lie for editing, likely after you have started a new project or have cleared the timeline as required.....

so the project file with all the savings is only for the next time you want to edit the project. It contains editing instructions that only PD understands. Distributing the project file (.PDS) does not make sense to the happy viewer of your editing results.

Hope that the difference between importing a clip and opening a project file is clear and helps you as an answer to your question?

Suggest that have a look at the many tutorials on Powerdirector on YouTube, which may strengthen the explanation above. There are some very good tutors out there!!

Warry,
Sounds like I did the wrong thing. I saved the first output work file by simply clicking on the X close symbol in upper right of edit work screen. System automatically puts a question out if I want to save or not save and I clicked on save. So it seems nothing should have been lost at that point. Will do future saves as Project Saves.

Just to clarify: Where you say ".....or have cleared the timeline as required". Is there something I need to click on to clear the timeline before exiting with the X Close?

Thank you for the help!

Gene
My editing project uses only one input file. When I started, "import" was used to bring in video source file. After the first edit work file was saved it becomes input file for next editing session. To access it the next time, what File command should you use? Open or Insert? If you use the wrong one, what problem is caused?
Quote your explanation is not completely clear to me. Can you please explain and maybe show some screen shots?
Timeline1 is that track 1 on the time line?
The end of the timeline1 reverting back to the middle, is that during viewing in the preview screen?
The first frame but gray area until the middle? That is not normal behavior! Unless you have turned of frames in the preferences. Gray is that the video in track 1?
I have not tried and don't know how many hours a timeline can hold, but do you have hours of video? Or 20 minutes?
If you have to edit hours and hours of video, why not cut the clips into chunks that you can oversee and handle and if need be connect together at production time or afterwards?
also no DVD or Blu-ray or online service will easily accept hours long video?
so maybe explain a bit and preferably show what it is you do, so that we can advice?

Warry,
Thank you for responding.
1. Others have asked for screen shots. Tried it but was not familiar with it and so far not successful.
2. Yes. The timelines all have two tracks. One is video and one is audio. I am referring only to the video part.
3. Yes. Timeline reverting is when Preview is also showing.
4. Not sure what you mean by preferences. But I would not turn off frames. The gray covers both video and audio timeline parts.
5. What I am doing is editing separate files. None are longer than one hour. My goal is to reduce each one to twenty minutes.
6. No DVD or Blu-ray involved.

I have decided to start again from the beginning and see if same thing happens.

Eugene
Been editing for a few days with no surprises until today. Each one of the previous days when the scrubber reached the end of Timeline1 it would revert to the midpoint of Timeline1 and continue. All previous days the very first frame of the edited video file would show at the start of Timeline1. And between it and the midpoint was just a gray area with no video frames showing.

Today after the scrubber reverted as usual to the Timeline1 mid-point all of a sudden something changed. The very first video frame which had always been at the start of Timeline1 was appearing just beyond Timeline1 mid-point only a few frames ahead of the scrubber. I quickly saved the work file. Means I messed up something on the previous day? Was told previously the edit system can hold several hours? But as of now the Preview counter shows the edited frames at only twenty minutes long. What gives here?
Quote If you have auto-save enabled, you should be able to recover your entire project from an earlier point in time. Take a look at this post for details.

As JL_JL has repeatedly requested, if you're still having trouble please take and share a screenshot so we can see your full timeline and preview window. Use the Alt+PrintScreen (or Win+Shift+S on Win10) keys, then save that as a JPG or PNG and use the Attachments button below the forum's text box to upload it here.

optodata,
Thanks for responding.
1) I had never transmitted a screen print before. Jeff had given me a link which described how to do it. So I tried that yesterday and again today. However, some kind of a hang-up occurred both times.

2) Then later this evening a thought occurred to me. Before I had done any editing I always dragged the source image from the Library down to Timeline1 which was in the instructions somewhere. Then after some delays began to do the first editing. Still remember that the first few edited frames were showing on the Timeline, followed by the unedited frames which extended all the way to the end of Timeline1. That's when I saved the first edited frames under a name I used for the edited work file.

Jeff had advised me that the edit system always uses a file format of .pds and before I retrieved that edit file had to add the pds to it.

So this evening it occurred to me I was no longer dragging the source file down to Timeline 1 before I did any editing. Am wondering now, if the system works by first replacing the source file frames with edited frames from the pds file. That would account for why no source file frames are showing on the Timeline anymore. The edited frames are about forty percent of the Timeline 1. All the rest of Timeline1 is just black. Nothing there.

So if I first drag the source file frames from the library and then retrieve the edited frames from the pds file the edited frames will replace the source file frames? And where there's no more edited frames the remaining source file frames will again show on the timeline?

Gene Lenz

Thanks, Jeff. Now I know the renewal timecode is automatic. That helps. Will check the link you sent later today.

Gene Lenz

Jeff,
I have come to believe the current problem is not with the Preview window. The reason I can't get beyond the edited frames anymore is because there are no more frames beyond the edited ones. I think that somehow maybe, I lost the unedited part of the file which I was working with back more than a week ago..

This thread becoming to lengthy. Would you be ok if I started a new subject title like "Source files/Edit files Formats" ?

There is nothing magic about your ~02:30 comments on preview nor a need to keep specifying a start timecode. The preview starts playback from where the scrubber is on the timeline.

A pic would help tremendously, how to capture screen as a pic and attach is outlined here in a step by step procedure: https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/83321.page#post_box_347519

Jeff

Thanks, Jeff. Now I know the renewal timecode is automatic. That helps. Will check the link you sent later today.

Gene Lenz

Q1, Yes. If you use the info in the pic I supplied and put a clip out at 00:10:00:00, you would see the preview window covers that timecode. The timecode expands to the total length of content in the timeline when the timeline scrubber is at the end of timeline content.

Q2, No, the timeline timecode can be well into the multiple hours, no problem and you can preview all of it. If your timeline has say 1 hour of content, and you type 10 in the minutes of the timecode, the timeline scrubber will jump to the 10 min mark.

A pic of what you have would help tremendously.

Jeff

Thank you, Jeff. Your answers were what I wanted to know. Sounds like Preview screen will always need a starting frame number and from there it will show you the next two and a half minutes or so. But you need to keep renewing the start code because it won't automatically do that every two and a half minutes until reaches the end of the edited video. My input source files are all 40 minutes to one hour in length. My intent is to cut that time down to fifteen or twenty minutes on each completely edited output file. Would be glad to send you picture you wanted but (believe it or not) never have transmitted a picture to someone. No idea how to.

Gene Lenz
Go to: